21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: raisins
Created on: 04/05/12 04:21 PM Views: 598 Replies: 2
raisins
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I just looked at the sugar content of my box of Sunmaid raisins.It says 29g! But in the ingredients list it only has raisins. Is it still ok to eat raisins?

RE: raisins
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

negandhi wrote:

I just looked at the sugar content of my box of Sunmaid raisins.It says 29g! But in the ingredients list it only has raisins. Is it still ok to eat raisins?

Okay for who? It depends on your goals - are you managing glucose? weight? For a diabetic, they need to be used with care, just as any dried fruit needs to be carefully managed. For an average person, use in moderation. For someone who is doing 10 mile runs and needs the energy, go for it.

--Deb R

RE: raisins
Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

It sounds like you are not following the meal plan Negandhi.

Of course it is ok to eat raisins when you are on a plant strong diet, but this 21 Day Kickstart is designed to introduce you to new foods and new flavours, to teach you new recipes, and to give you a sense of accomplishment with what you will definitely achieve in three short weeks if you follow it. If you are eating raisins by the cupful, especially if it is instead of your grains and beans, you may not achieve that. They are fruit, but they are concentrated (being dried), so they are giving you a lot of energy with little fibre to carry it. Imagine them in their whole form (grapes). If you are not eating many many more raisins than you would be able to eat grapes, you are probably ok, but if you are hungry better to eat more soup or stew or something that is really going to fill you up.

If you don't like the meal plan, or can't follow it for some other reason, look for recipes with whole food, the complete vegetable, fruit, grain and bean, and eat lots of that.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 665 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org