21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome to 2012
Created on: 12/28/11 06:27 AM Views: 12174 Replies: 42
RE: Welcome to 2012
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

gryphonpro wrote:

Welcome back everyone, and a special welcome to first timers.

I have participated in every kickstart since I first tried in April of 2011, including the fabulous India Kickstart. I find that the mix of return and new participants makes for a very rich experience.

I was an overweight vegetarian for a few decades, but didn't have any other health concerns, perhaps because I lived in places where refined and processed foods were not available. My body was younger too. Upon returning to Canada in 2005 I started to have serious digestive problems. I went crazy with the vegetarian foods at the supermarket!

I didn't take my doctor's advise to put myself on the list for gall bladder surgery, but I did start with the zantac while I started to tinker with dietary changes, trying to see what the actual problem was. Of course everyone had their opinion... it was my gall bladder, or the gluten or whatever that particular friend believed. I had some interesting results, but it just wasn't working on the whole until I realized that it was a symphony of things... the processed food, the over yeasted breads, the over-saturated-with-fat vegetarian options, and dairy. I had heard of PCRM from a friend at the local vegetarian association, and was immediately interested.

As a film maker, my first approach was to convince a new friend who was not vegetarian, but was searching for a solution to many chronic health problems she had, to try the kickstart and let me make a documentary about it. Finally she said "I'll take the dare if you will!" and the rest is history! Why it took me so long to go vegan is still a mystery, but it does give me a healthy dose of patience with others, if nothing else.

So here I am again. I have been behaving, with the exception of kefir fermented raw milk as an ingredient in my daily smoothies. The cow is dry for the winter, so I am going to try to make kefir with almond milk. If anyone has kefir experience, I would sure appreciate help.

Meanwhile the documentary is in the studio now. It was a great production experience. The project is not funded, so it is slower than I had hoped, but since I am a one-person post production facility, I know it will get done. My current completion estimate is this spring. Stay in touch with that project on facebook if you are interested. The trailer is on the welcome page here: www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan.

I am glad to be back. For me, and for many others, it is the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart/Reboot! By the way, my digestive problems has disappeared Smile

- madeline

Madeline, your documentary looks fascinating! Your link however took me to the PCRM page so I had to do a facebook search.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. As for the probiotics, what about just going to something that bypasses the dairy entirely? I'm sure you know all about the perils of dairy - I should post a link to Doc McD's video on its own thread in the forum. What about rejuvelac from the Hippocrtes health Institute? I remember kefir grains yet frankly can't remember if they are vegan or not. What do you come up with in a search for vegan pro-biotics?

Keep us posted on the film!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Hello all!
Glad to be doing this kickstart. I was a lactose vegetarian since 2005, but went vegan in August of last year after seeing the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I already knew I couldn't eat gluten, but after giving up my beloved cheese, I watched my asthma and allergies almost completely disappear. Smile

I lost 20# but need to lose about 40 more. Plus I started eating some high-fat vegan snacks, which set in the cravings. So I'm kick starting here and hoping to stay off the chips and keep on the greens and fruits.

I forgot about this yesterday, so today is day 1. Thanks for being here.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

VeganGinny wrote:

Hello all!
Glad to be doing this kickstart. I was a lactose vegetarian since 2005, but went vegan in August of last year after seeing the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I already knew I couldn't eat gluten, but after giving up my beloved cheese, I watched my asthma and allergies almost completely disappear. Smile

I lost 20# but need to lose about 40 more. Plus I started eating some high-fat vegan snacks, which set in the cravings. So I'm kick starting here and hoping to stay off the chips and keep on the greens and fruits.

I forgot about this yesterday, so today is day 1. Thanks for being here.

Excellent VeganGinny, I'm glad you didn't let the day late keep you out of the game.

Welcome!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hello To All,

This is my first attempt at going vegan and it is all still new to me. Although I stopped eating meat and dairy a while ago, I am trying to go the next step and completely heal my body. I really do want to become more healthy by eating nutritiously and by exercising, but I am wondering why the weight is not coming off as expected. I have about 25 pounds to lose. I am wondering if you really can drop weight eating beans, pasta and bread. My body just craves carbs and knows how to pack on the pounds! If I cut out the carbs, I behave like an addict and eventually give in. Has anyone gotten past the point I am at and gotten to the other side? Rolling Eyes

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Laughing Hi, I'm new to Kickstart. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and recently kicked all dairy but still eat "happy chicken" eggs mostly from a friend who has rescued battery hens. I am quite overweight as I LOVE sweet stuff and have been doing a lot of vegan baking of late. But I have been doing a 7 day vegan detox and am ready to get serious! I'm having a hysterectomy around April and my doctor wants me to have lost 10kg by then so - let's get this show on the road.... Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Laughing Hi, I'm new to Kickstart. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and recently kicked all dairy but still eat "happy chicken" eggs mostly from a friend who has rescued battery hens. I am quite overweight as I LOVE sweet stuff and have been doing a lot of vegan baking of late. But I have been doing a 7 day vegan detox and am ready to get serious! I'm having a hysterectomy around April and my doctor wants me to have lost 10kg by then so - let's get this show on the road.... Very Happy

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

JumpIn wrote:

Hello To All,

This is my first attempt at going vegan and it is all still new to me. Although I stopped eating meat and dairy a while ago, I am trying to go the next step and completely heal my body. I really do want to become more healthy by eating nutritiously and by exercising, but I am wondering why the weight is not coming off as expected. I have about 25 pounds to lose. I am wondering if you really can drop weight eating beans, pasta and bread. My body just craves carbs and knows how to pack on the pounds! If I cut out the carbs, I behave like an addict and eventually give in. Has anyone gotten past the point I am at and gotten to the other side? Rolling Eyes

Jumpin, yes you can lose weight while eating beans, pasta, and bread. Some people do find that they get things moving faster when the switch out the bread for whole grains: brown rice, oatmeal, barley - the list is endless.

Oils and free fats of any kind also slow things down, as to high fat foods and processed foods. When you stick to green and yellow vegetables, whole grains, starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, and sweet potatoes, the weight will come off barring any particular medical circumstances.

Exercise is critical to your success as well because it enhances insulin function, relieves stress and anxiety, build physical confidence, and yes, does burn a few calories.

there's a winning ticket at your fingertips. I'm 50 lbs lighter than I was 13 years ago and eating as I have described is how I do it - without hunger or working out like a maniac.

Be sure to pick up the free fitness kit I have for you on my website at http://www.plantbasedfitnessexpert.com for some moving motivation!

Welcome,

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

kiwi wrote:

Hi Susan, Lani and everyone,

Im back as I havent been so good with my diet in the latter part of 2011. Always vegetarian but not always low-fat vegan and the weight has started to creep on again. Obviously I dont feel I am at my best. Í am looking forward to a fresh start for 2012 as I am studying this year as well as working. I know I need easy to prepare, healthy, energy giving foods to nourish myself and see me through.

Regards,
Christine

I'm with you Kiwi - the last couple of months have been a bit up and down with low fat vegan. This is my stake in the ground to get going in the better direction again.
--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Hi!

I am Sanna, a three-kid mom from Sweden, living over in Lithuania. I turned vegan in November after seeing the movie Forks over Knives, and have not looked back! In the past month I have seen every imaginable documentary and youtube videos from all my new wonderful idols: Drs. Barnard, Esselstyn, Campbell and McDougall to name a few.

It feels like I have been living in a fog until now - I am amazed that the public does not know!

I am thankful for this website! Love the professionalism and work put into every aspect - content, design and presentation.

Sanna

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Welcome!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I suppose that kefir grains would be vegan safe because you don't actually eat them, you lovingly feed them while they ferment the environment they are housed in. You strain them out before consuming. It does depend on where you draw the line though.

I'll check the other products mentioned, thanks for the leads

Sorry about the link not working I'll try again here. If it doesn't work, the www in my signature leads there too.

Http://www.facebook.com/an.unlikely.vegan

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hi. I'm new to the Kickstart, but I've been a vegan since 2000. At first, I lost a lot of weight (about 80 pounds). I just can't seem to lose the last 10 or 15 pounds I've been trying to get rid of the last few years.

I've tried the Eat to Live program and found it too restrictive; I'm hoping that this one will be easier to follow as it allows for more complex carbs and snacks. Plus, I got a little to attached to eating nuts and dates and that didn't help with the weight loss.

Over the holidays I really ate too many processed vegan foods, so this is a great chance to ditch those products.

I'm glad to see so many vegans here as well as those trying it for the first time, and in such a healthy way. This is a great way to start the new year, too.

Andrea

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Veteran vegans welcome! I have been vegan for over 15 years and still learn so much from this program and especially from this listserv. I'm glad you found us.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Hi everyone! I have NEVER been vegan, never even thought about it until 1 week ago after I watched "Forks Over Knives." It was the wake up call I needed and I have not eaten any meat or dairy since. I thought it would be really difficult but so far it has been really easy, I don't even have the desire to eat meat, or cheese. I have been overweight most of my life and have tried and failed every diet imaginable. I can never stick to anything. So I am so excited about my new vegan lifestyle and the fact that I am actually sticking to it. My goal is to have lost 50 lbs by my 30th birthday in May. And while it will be nice to lose weight I really am excited about getting myself healthy. I feel so good after only 1 week. I have been looking on the internet for information about the Vegan diet when I came across this kickstart that was starting in 3 days. It was like everything just lined up perfectly and fell into place. I love to cook so I am having so much fun looking at and trying new recipes. I have so much to learn! It's nice to be able to read other people's experiences though. I come from a family of carnivores and don't even have any friends that are vegetarian much less vegan! I don't expect it to always be so easy though. I'm figuring at some point I will want a Cheeseburger or pizza but as for now even if someone were to put my once favorite foods in front of me I would not even be tempted. In fact it happened at dinner for New Years Eve and I happily ate my couscous salad and soup I had made. I know this is long but I am just really excited to be here and to be apart of this Kickstart!!

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Hi Kimmyd82,

Good luck with your vegan journey and weight loss.

I wish there was some way to research how many people have changed what they eat after watching Forks over Knives. So many people mention it that I think it has singlehandedly done more to change the way people eat than any other movie or book has done for a long time.

Let us know how things go. This forum stays open after the kickstart (until the next one begins) and some of us keep posting to support each other, even if not on such a regular basis.

Christine

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

kimmyd82 wrote:

I'm figuring at some point I will want a Cheeseburger or pizza but as for now even if someone were to put my once favorite foods in front of me I would not even be tempted.

The good thing is that, likely, with the great start you've got going, by the time you maybe want a cheeseburger, you'll have some resources in your pocket to get the 'feel' of it without having an actual cheeseburger. For my hubby, it was finding a favorite go-to black bean burger that he can make any time (as long as we remember to have some black beans cooked and waiting). He makes fresh ground whole wheat bagels as the 'platform' for them and combined with some homemade pickles, it's yummy even without cheese. Oh, and we found a not-quite-low fat but tasty not-cheese sauce (it uses cashew butter, so it's got a little fat) that we can use for 'cheesy' things like nachos (homemade salsa, black beans, 'cheeze sauce', baked corn tortilla chips - yum!)

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

This is my first KickStart and my first post. So far I feel I am doing well. Not perfect, but pretty good. Have already lost one pound and that is exciting. Hope to find some motivation in all the posts and stories.

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

kimmyd82 wrote:
I'm figuring at some point I will want a Cheeseburger or pizza but as for now even if someone were to put my once favorite foods in front of me I would not even be tempted.

The good thing is that, likely, with the great start you've got going, by the time you maybe want a cheeseburger, you'll have some resources in your pocket to get the 'feel' of it without having an actual cheeseburger. For my hubby, it was finding a favorite go-to black bean burger that he can make any time (as long as we remember to have some black beans cooked and waiting). He makes fresh ground whole wheat bagels as the 'platform' for them and combined with some homemade pickles, it's yummy even without cheese. Oh, and we found a not-quite-low fat but tasty not-cheese sauce (it uses cashew butter, so it's got a little fat) that we can use for 'cheesy' things like nachos (homemade salsa, black beans, 'cheeze sauce', baked corn tortilla chips - yum!)

--Deb R

That's what I'm hoping for too! I feel too good to even think about any of those things right now! If you get a chance I would love the recipe for the 'cheeze sauce'. Sounds delicious and can be my treat to myself at the end of this kickstart!

Posted Friday, January 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

kimmyd82 wrote:

That's what I'm hoping for too! I feel too good to even think about any of those things right now! If you get a chance I would love the recipe for the 'cheeze sauce'. Sounds delicious and can be my treat to myself at the end of this kickstart!

I think it's around here somewhere - in one of the previous kickstarts...

Cheesy Sauce

1/4 cup raw almonds or raw cashews(cashews are softer, so may work better in some blenders.) plain, no salt, cashew butter also works well and is easier on the blender
2 cups water
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt (or less to your taste)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 tsp - 1 Tbsp. lemon juice to taste. (More makes it a sharper cheese flavor, less a milder flavor)
1/3 cup roasted or fresh red bell pepper (optional for color)
Option: blend 1 tsp canned jalapeños for a great nacho-style cheese.

1. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
2. Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
3. It will thicken to nacho cheese consistency. Serve hot.

•This is great as a dip for chips, over taco salad, on tacos or burritos, over vegetables, and over baked potatoes.
•I love sautéing veggies, pouring cheesy sauce over the veggies, then serving the cheesy veggies over baked potatoes or brown rice. Yummy!
•Add to broccoli soup for broccoli-cheddar soup.
•You can also use this over macaroni for macaroni and cheese.
*If you leave the red pepper out, it makes a nice faux alfredo sauce for pasta

Nutritional Info for ¼ cup sauce
45 calories
2 grams fat
0 mg. cholesterol

MollyHorn posted it back in a September 2010 Kickstart thread.

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Thanks so much Deb! Can't wait to try it! I'll have to read through the older posts to get some more recipe ideas.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 556 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org