21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: clarification / truth behind soy milk..
Created on: 04/06/12 02:06 AM Views: 3699 Replies: 20
clarification / truth behind soy milk..
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This seems to be one of the most controversial foods, oddly enough, in the vegan world!

Is it good for us, not so good? Especially women..does it significantly raise our estrogen, and do weird things to our hormones?

I find I'm really enjoying my almond and coconut milk, and hoping to try more non-dairy milk as I adapt to veganism...however, soy just seems to be more convenient ( coffeeshops for example, only have soy as the non-dairy alternative. ) If we drink soy beverages - maybe one or two a day...is that okay?

RE: clarification / truth behind soy milk..
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Soy milk is fine. Not to worry. Diversity as much as possible in all things, but there is no evidence that soy milk causes harm - in fact, studies only show benefits.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I wonder what you mean by soy beverage? I have heard a lot of mention on this discussion about soy lattes, which is an entirely different thing from soy milk. The lattes are full of all kinds of things, some flavours include that bug juice which is also used in V8 juice for colour. If your question is about traditional soy foods I would follow what Susan says. If you question is about refined or processed food, or sweet frothie drinks, I would remember that we are striving for a low fat whole food diet.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

This is an interesting topic. When I shared with my colleagues that I was transitioning to a plant based diet, one of them warned me about soy being linked to breast cancer. She apparently had a close friend who was a big soy user who had been diagnosed with breast cancer and was advised by her physician to discontinue the soy. I did the typical internet research, and decided to just keep my use to a minimum. I do eat some soy most days, either through yogurt or edamame, but just one serving a day. I also plan to discuss this with my physician at my next checkup. When he sees the weight loss results I have had, I am sure he will be pleased!

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM

With all due respect, a latte is espresso with steamed milk, that's it. As with most, the soy milk used by Starbucks does contain some sugar, and I believe it is vanilla flavored, but a soy latte is only the soy milk and espresso, unless one chooses to add other syrups. I have one occasionally as a treat.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I think this short video from veg nutritionist, Dr. Michael Greger, will answer concerns about soy milk and soy products.
http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/breast-cancer-survival-and-soy/

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I'm pretty sure most of this anti-soy nonsense is funded by the Western Price foundation. Or as we call it in my part of the world: the American Society for the Protection of Bulls**t (ASPB).

They're the people who say that saturated fat is "wholesome", and that cholesterol is "nutritious". And if you tell them that you got ill from eating meat and dairy, they'll probably tell you it was the "and" that made you sick !

As many people have posted already, soy has been consumed for thousands of years by large populations. And those populations are much healthier than us. And no amount of meat industry-funded propaganda is gonna change that.

Rant over.

Theodore

Wash your back

Edited 04/06/12 1:43 PM
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM

DianeJ, thanks for helping me to be more clear. I most definitely was not referring to any latte which would be plain soy milk and coffee. The sweet frothy flavoured type was what came to mind when I asked what was ment by soy beverage.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Brittlecap wrote:

I think this short video from veg nutritionist, Dr. Michael Greger, will answer concerns about soy milk and soy products.
http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/breast-cancer-survival-and-soy/

Nutritionfacts.org is awesome! I just went to check out the soy video and have been watching lots of others. Do you know who the organization who created the website is? Lots of great, motivating info!

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

From what I've read over quite awhile, it seems that whole soy is better tolerated by the body. I've read that processed soy (as in texturized vegetable protein or soy isolate) is not as healthy as more intact soy, such as edamame, tempeh, etc.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Oh - forgot to add: I think it also depends on how you are using the soymilk. If you like drinking glasses of the stuff, it may not be the best thing. I look at it this way - once we're weaned, why drink milk of any kind?

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

This information is great guys, thank you for the feedback! I agree, all things in moderation so eating and drinking only soy products would not be the healthiest approach to veganism.

Sorry, I'm still a little confused by what Madeline means by frothy drinks and the bug juice? Oh well, it's probably better that I don't know, I'll be sure to stay away from it =)

But yes, I've been making my own cafe or tea drinks with non-dairy milk and don't see anything wrong with having soy lattes once in awhile too - as long as our wallets are still intact!

Hm...I'm thinking that soy will continue to be argued for and against, so at the end of the day it's probably just whatever works for each person! Same thing with coffee. One day you hear its good for you, then you hear you shouldn't have it...

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM

There was a little research blurb in my college human sexuality book that said that soy has a chemical that has an estrogen like effect on the body. It said it may not be the best to consume in excess for men as it can lead to fertility issues, but it didn't say anything about women. I'm assuming it's fine in moderation like everything else.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I'm so glad to see this topic discussed. I've been concerned about what I hear about it for women. I have a friend who noticed her preteen daughter developing way too fast--she elimanated soy from her daughter and the symptoms subsided so she is a big advocate of no soy products. How does one explain what she experienced with her daughter?
But as for me I shall continue to use soy milk, tofu, and tempeh in moderation. I only like the milk on cereal or in pancakes and baking, etc. Don't like drinking a glass of it and that's a big loss for me as I always loved a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a big glass of cold cow milk.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well, there's Theodore. Missed him!
The dairy council is probably the one spewing all the venom soy's way.
The bug juice is the cochineal bug, which starbucks is now using in one of their drinks (I forgot which one, but I think it is a strawberry frap?). Also used in the strawberry frosting in pop tarts.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Bluegrass - I had been concerned about consuming too much soy, as well, (and was also missing my big glass of cow's milk) and tried hemp milk (plain) for the first time this week. I find it to be the most satisfying on its own. Perfect with a pbj!

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The interesting thing about soy is that it is probably the people eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) that eat the most soy. Look at the allergen statements from most fast food restaurants: Soy will be in just about everything.

With soy: Only eat the traditional soy products: soy milk, tofu, miso, tempeh. Don't eat products containing isolated soy protein, or any other lab-produced soy.

Here's an excellent article from Dr. McDougall on the subject:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/pdf/pdf050400nl.pdf

Hope this is helpful,
KarenR

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Again - it may not be soy alone. A healthy diet is whole foods - soymilk is NOT a whole food. See my post above.

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I have used soy milk, unsweetened by the way, for more than a year and I felt good. Nevertheless for these 21 days try, I switched to Rice milk, unseewtened too, because of 2 reasons:
1- Fat contents is medium, depending on the brand but a glass has 7-8 grams of fats, which is a lot especially if you are looking to loose weight.
2- Sugars, even if it is unseewtened, Soy has more sugars than rice for example.
The main advantages of soy milk is its contents of protein which is higher than rice or almond milks and the glycemic index is better than Rice milk.
I still using soy milk for making yogurth, as the fermet works better in soy than in other vegan milks.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM

DianeJ wrote:

With all due respect, a latte is espresso with steamed milk, that's it. As with most, the soy milk used by Starbucks does contain some sugar, and I believe it is vanilla flavored, but a soy latte is only the soy milk and espresso, unless one chooses to add other syrups. I have one occasionally as a treat.

Thank you. I am not particularly fond of when people start spouting off facts that they made up. And, I have an occasional latte as well.

www email

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 425 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org