21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: saying hello
Created on: 09/02/12 07:47 AM Views: 549 Replies: 2
saying hello
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Hi guys! I am an ESL teacher currently living and teaching in Saigon, Vietnam. I'm originally from the states, and I have to say - if there ever was a place where it was easy to be vegan, Vietnam would be it! lots of salads, vegetables, and noodle soups / rice everywhere. it's also a gluten-free wonderland, because even the noodle/pasta items are almost always completely rice or corn based.

Anyway, I'm going to be here for about 5 months, and I feel this is a good environment for me to practice being vegan. I've been lacto-vegetarian all my life, and for the past year I've tried so hard to be vegan...i fail every time because my weakness is usually milk or milk products (cream, whip cream, whey) in my coffee / tea...sooo hard to give it up! The other weakness/struggle is yogurt. I have a sensitive stomach so yogurt helps me when I don't feel like stomaching anything else...and its so convenient.

It's great to be doing this kickstart!

RE: saying hello
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

You might want to ready The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. It will explain to you why you have a hard time giving up dairy. It's addictive.

I have a couple friends who went from omnivore to vegan after reading his book. Learning what some foods acutally do to your body and your health can be convincing and empowering.

Vikki ~

RE: saying hello
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I envy you for all the vegan gluten free food you are enjoying in Vietnam!

There are other sources of the good bacteria you are getting now from yogurt. Kimchi, kombucha, sauerkraut, fermented foods. Not sure what's available there, but I'm loving coconut milk yogurt.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 395 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org