21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: saying hello
Created on: 09/02/12 07:48 AM Views: 1292 Replies: 10
saying hello
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Hi guys! I am an ESL teacher currently living and teaching in Saigon, Vietnam. I'm originally from the states, and I have to say - if there ever was a place where it was easy to be vegan, Vietnam would be it! lots of salads, vegetables, and noodle soups / rice everywhere. it's also a gluten-free wonderland, because even the noodle/pasta items are almost always completely rice or corn based.

Anyway, I'm going to be here for about 5 months, and I feel this is a good environment for me to practice being vegan. I've been lacto-vegetarian all my life, and for the past year I've tried so hard to be vegan...i fail every time because my weakness is usually milk or milk products (cream, whip cream, whey) in my coffee / tea...sooo hard to give it up! The other weakness/struggle is yogurt. I have a sensitive stomach so yogurt helps me when I don't feel like stomaching anything else...and its so convenient.

It's great to be doing this kickstart!

RE: saying hello
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Not sure why your original post posted twice, but I'm copying my reply from that post to this one.

You might want to ready The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. It will explain to you why you have a hard time giving up dairy. It's addictive.

I have a couple friends who went from omnivore to vegan after reading his book. Learning what some foods acutally do to your body and your health can be convincing and empowering.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Peppermint tea is supposed to be good for stomach problems.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Yea, sorry about the double posting!

Anyway, I have heard this also in the past, that dairy can be as addictive as drugs, opiates - that enough is making me think, well no wonder it's so hard for me to say good-bye to milk, even 'skim' milk. It's hard at times because there's always so much information about why low and non-fat milk is so good, and soy is so bad...I think I'd like to know more about the dairy and milk industry and why it's really more terrible than people realize.

The more information that is really factual, the better! And in general the more I can learn about this..the more I'm sure it will help me to stay motivated. Razz

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Hi Cuteteddybears

Enjoy your time in Saigon,Vietnam.

I'm in sunny London at the moment and there are many restraunts with Veggie and Vegan choices.I've also lived in the States and I was vegetarian for many years and now I'm vegan and I don't eat any dairy products or yogurt; although I make a great frozen banana ice cream in the blender with raw Almond milk and top it with berry sauce.It's really good!!!

It's not surprizing really that so many people find it difficult to give up eating meat and dairy. It's not an easy thing to do,as with any addiction. We are so socialized from birth by various cultures and traditions to eat animals and dairy without questioning. It's everywhere in the media and ritual traditions and in my case it's been about deprogramming myself away from traditional ideas and tastes of dairy produce.I substitute with soy and plant based foods.

I recently watched a video Of Ellen Degenerates talking about why she became Vegan ... "Ellen Degeneres Awakening Compassion and Earthlings on youtube"... In it she mentioned a movie called Earthlings which deals with animal produce and farming.It's a very,very difficult documentary to watch without tears and has been one of the contribution to my husband and my own vegan journey.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Oh God, it is really a gut wrenching film (Earthlings). I've only been able to watch 1/5th of it. It seems well done, if you want motivation to become or remain vegan, but watch with caution.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Hi Jivandling

I too could only watch a small amount of documentary.It was very difficult to watch.

Hi Jivandling

I too could only watch a small amount of documentary.It was very difficult to watch.

Hi Jivandling

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Hi All - I agree China Study is an excellent book - highly encourage everyone to read it. I am also now reading Dr. Barnard's book Breaking the Food Seduction. He explains the addiction to dairy in a very easy to understand way and helps with breaking the addiction. I'm loving this book thus far.
Take care.
Jennifer

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Hi Jennifer

Thanks.I've just looked at Dr Barnards book on Amazon and watched him talking on youtube about Breaking the food seduction.He's such inspirational and genuine person.It's so good to see that there are many good people out there standing up with compassion and questioning.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 229 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org