21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Making a commitment
Created on: 06/27/13 02:56 PM Views: 1324 Replies: 6
Making a commitment
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This is my third time to do the Kick Start. I have high blood fats and need to do it for health reasons. I've always fallen off before the end. This time I am joining the forum & would enjoy tips from others for those tough days when fast food fries call to me!

RE: Making a commitment
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Spudlover wrote:

This is my third time to do the Kick Start. I have high blood fats and need to do it for health reasons. I've always fallen off before the end. This time I am joining the forum & would enjoy tips from others for those tough days when fast food fries call to me!

Think about what is calling you - is it the salt, the sweet (fast food fries are soaked in sugar water to make them golden brown like that), the crispy, etc. Is it the tang of the ketchup even? Once you can sort it out, you can find other options - baked sweet potato fries perhaps (make them at home or find good frozen organic ones to bake at home), or a handful of salted, cooked, chickpeas for that saltiness (also good if you're wanting peanuts - more fiber, less fat than peanuts). And so on. If you have a yen for A, pop in and this crew can usually come up with something that will satisfy that yen in a better way (like a dill pickle spear can sometimes quash a sweet craving).

--DebR

Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Good for you for your re-commitment!

I signed up for the July Kickstart after completing the June one--i plan to broaden the variety of foods I eat, as well as reduce fat. One of the things that helps me decline unhealthy foods is to think about them as hurtful to me (and often the broader environment), as well as focus on how much better I feel for many reasons when I eat a fresh, organic vegan diet. I also don't let myself get really hungry, which I've found is easy b/c all the fiber I'm eating keeps me feeling satisfied. Losing 14 lbs in 5 weeks since I started eating well (~95% of the time) has been reinforcing, too! I find the community forum helpful, and also have been motivated to stay on track by reading vegan materials online, as well as books, inc Neal Barnard's Kickstart program accompaniment. Watching Forks Over Knives was VERY inspirational to me Very Happy

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try the garbanzo beans & the pickle! Think it through is helpful too!
Today is day one & I hope to loose some weight too!

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try the garbanzo beans & the pickle! Think it through is helpful too!

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 197 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org