21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Delicious low-fat vegan dressing :)
Created on: 11/23/13 06:37 PM Views: 582 Replies: 3
Delicious low-fat vegan dressing :)
Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Hi all,

I just tried a low-fat vegan dressing from the cookbook "The 30 Minute Vegan" and had to share it. It's so easy to make and so full of flavour - the curry powder adds just a small hint of spiciness and the citrus adds a really nice zing to the recipe:

Here's the recipe for the citrus-curry dressing:

1 cup baked squash (I used butternut squash)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon agave nectar (I used maple syrup instead)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon stone-ground mustard (I just used whatever mustard I had in my fridge)
1 teaspoon soy sauce, or to taste

Blend everything till smooth.

Now I have to decide what to put this dressing on. I'm thinking maybe some lentils and black beans, or something easy like that. Easy because I have some canned black beans in my cupboard. Otherwise it would be time consuming of course. Thanks to the squash, the dressing is a really lovely bright orange - it's rather festive Smile

Oooh - I bet it would also be good served over steamed collard greens or some other hardy leafy green or other veggies. Yum!!

RE: Delicious low-fat vegan dressing :)
Posted Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Come to think of it, I think I'll use it drizzled over a salad. I've got some Boston lettuce and red leaf lettuce and some other veggies in my fridge that I can add in (some cucumber and celery).

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That does sound good! Baking squash sounds time consuming. Is it? Can you buy it canned?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I bet you could probably buy it canned, but it's also pretty easy to cook it.

The cookbook says butternut, buttercup, or acorn squash work well in this recipe. It also says pumpkin works too, and luckily this time of year you can definitely find canned pumpkin.

I used butternut squash. I grabbed the other ingredients and threw them into my blender while the squash was cooking, so that cut down on the overall prep time. I also squeezed the lemon and the orange juices freshly myself, but I bet you could probably do that ahead of time if preferred.

I followed the cookbook's instructions for cooking my squash (but you could also use leftover cooked squash if you happen to have any).

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

I cut my butternut squash in half, scooped out the seeds (I found that an ice cream scoop worked really easily to scoop out the seeds and stringy bits).

I then put the two halves face down on a baking sheet (with a little water added to the baking sheet) and baked the squash for about 23 minutes. The squash should be done within about 20-25 minutes depending on your stove (and it's done when you can pierce it with a fork).

Once you have all the ingredients in the blender, it all blends together very quickly to make a nice smooth dressing.

I think I'll use some leftover dressing on a salad today - I've still got a bunch of lettuce, shredded carrots, and cucumber. I might also toss in some nuts or seeds.

And this dressing recipe is BURSTING with flavour - a little would go a long way.

Now I can't wait till lunch Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 162 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: nathaliaaquino

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org