21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Protein Powders
Created on: 04/06/12 08:03 AM Views: 2255 Replies: 10
Protein Powders
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I have been thinking about adding protein powder to my diet as a way to ensure I am getting adequate protein. Any suggestions on a particular brand or ingrediants to watch for? Also, what should I add it to? Thanks!

--Sandy

RE: Protein Powders
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Just have patience for three weeks, and watch the videos every morning. The protein thing is one of the myths which are touched very well in the educational part of this program... unless you are training very heavily for a major sports event, you are getting more than enough protein, assuming you are eating your greens and beans!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

dougsandyl wrote:

I have been thinking about adding protein powder to my diet as a way to ensure I am getting adequate protein. Any suggestions on a particular brand or ingrediants to watch for? Also, what should I add it to? Thanks!

Hey Sandy,

It may not be the exact answer you are looking for with a specific brand, yet want to speak to the protein issue.

With a whole-foods, plant-based low fat diet, we get adequate protein, which is met when protein is 5 - 10% of your calories.

Here's more for you:

2 answers to the question, "Where do you get your protein?"

and

Protein madness and special interests, aka the #1 thing I learned in plant-based nutrition school

Hope this helps!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Edited 04/06/12 9:36 AM
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I will definitely think twice!

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I do a lot of weight lifting and cardio, and like you I was interested in supplements. However when I started reading the labels on all our protein shakes, they all have some kind of dairy in them. Sad This included Muscle Milk, and Dymatize brands. Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck! OH, but I did find a Vegan shake on Shakeology. They only have one vegan flavor, and it's not really a protein shake. You can look on BodyBuilding.com.

Nutrition: Makes a lot of sense, but not a lot of dollars!

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Cara wrote:

I do a lot of weight lifting and cardio, and like you I was interested in supplements. However when I started reading the labels on all our protein shakes, they all have some kind of dairy in them. Sad This included Muscle Milk, and Dymatize brands. Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck! OH, but I did find a Vegan shake on Shakeology. They only have one vegan flavor, and it's not really a protein shake. You can look on BodyBuilding.com.

Cara,

Here is an article on supplements that may be of interest to you, from Dr. McDougall:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/diet-nutrition/is-it-possible-we-should-be-taking-fewer-supplements-sacrilege-or-smarts/

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hi,

Interesting question. I dont take additonal protein myself so I cant personally recommend anything but I was reading about it the other day as there are vegan body builders and extreme athletes out there who need/want additional protein.

Apparently many vegan protein powders are very gritty and not all that nice to take. One that was higly recommended as it tastes good and is not gritty was pea protein powder from TrueProtein.com. If the article below is correct Brendan Brazier (kick start celebrity and athlete) uses pea power protein.

Here is a little summary of whats available.
http://www.choosingraw.com/the-low-down-on-vegan-protein-powders/

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. As mentioned by others who have responded to your question its unlikely that you need additional protein if eating your beans and greens. But if you do decide to give it a try can you let us know which one you went with and what the protein powder tastes like.

Thanks

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 04/14/12 5:23 PM
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I normally feel that doing a green smoothie in the morning gives me enough protein (I do add 2 table spoon of Chia seeds to it also).

But for mornings that I am in a rush, I use a Pea Protein mix. Vegan and from yellow Split pea and it is sweeten with Stevia.

You can look for it on Amazon
Olympia Pea Protein

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Edited 04/17/12 11:42 AM
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I bought "Garden of Life" at WholeFoods. Mix 1 scoop of Garden of Life, 2 tsp of PB2 (peanut butter powder form), 1 banana, 10 oz of water - mix well.

I like to drink it before I go to the gym in the mornings or when I get home late in the evenings (I work full time and go to school at night) so I am not tempted to eat a huge meal so late.

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I found Genisoy soy protein natural protien powder. I haven't finished it all, and it is expensive. If you like making shakes and adding your own fruits/veggies, spirulina, etc, it is a good powder. It is chalky, but it tastes ok, like soy without flavor. It has added vitamins and minerals. I got it on vitacost (online), and some places carry it, but it is marked way up. I guess these powders are good if you don't have time to chew your food! Ha, ha! Or you like making smoothies. I took a long time searching for a good protein powder, that is why I am sharing this.

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Are you sure these powders are safe ?

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 406 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org