21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Pressure cooker cookbook
Created on: 01/12/14 12:46 PM Views: 2579 Replies: 18
Instant Pot questions
Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Hi all,
I am finally going to get an Instant Pot and have three questions:

First, any recommendations or advice regarding whether new IP or last year's model. (As a vegan, I obviously won't be using the yogurt feature on the new one.)

And, any recommendations for a vegan pressure cooker cookbook? I make a lot of soups, chili, etc. and plan to use the IP primarily for this and for cooking beans. I've never used a pressure cooker before.

Finally, any advice for adapting my stovetop soup recipes to the pressure cooker?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Marianne

Edited 01/12/14 12:48 PM
RE: Pressure cooker cookbook
Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I have two vegan pressure cooker cookbooks.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Fast-Food-Pressure-MInutes/dp/0976708515/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389550013&sr=1-1&keywords=veggie+queen
and
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Vegetarian-Cooking-Under-Pressure-ebook/dp/B00BHEJ4G4/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389550044&sr=1-3&keywords=lorna+sass
I love them both and use them a lot.

I have the older model, have had it about a year so can't speak to the difference. I wouldn't use the yogurt feature, but there are some that make vegan yogurts that might find it a benefit.

There's an Instant Pot Plant food group on Facebook, there may be some people there that can give you a better explanation of the difference.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/160489884083690/

Hope that helps.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM

One suggestion about the Instant Pot, get the larger size. I have the smaller one and am always wishing I had the larger size because I make a lot of soups and cook a lot of beans.

Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I love the old Instant Pot so if the new one has improvements, either one would be great.

Here are some great videos on how to cook with the Instant Pot:
Steamed Kale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvF3ADOUUc

Split Pea Soup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBx9rJg16HA

Red Lentil Chili
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOfxvkqjIS4

I learned a lot from the Instant Pot website:
http://instantpot.com/

and Lani's Slimming Lentil Soup goes well in the electric pressure cooker:
http://www.lanimuelrath.com/diet-nutrition/my-simple-soup-trick-to-up-your-veggie-count-and-get-your-skinny-on-video/

Edited 01/12/14 6:11 PM
Posted Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Wow -- thanks for the great advice and resources! I've decided to go with the newest IP, which is pretty huge ...

Reading up in the recommended recipe books and will start with one of them as well Smile

I'll post my experiences after I've had a month or two to try it all out.

Marianne

RE: Instant Pot questions
Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 4:13 PM

sfgreydog wrote:

Hi all,
I am finally going to get an Instant Pot and have three questions:

First, any recommendations or advice regarding whether new IP or last year's model. (As a vegan, I obviously won't be using the yogurt feature on the new one.)

And, any recommendations for a vegan pressure cooker cookbook? I make a lot of soups, chili, etc. and plan to use the IP primarily for this and for cooking beans. I've never used a pressure cooker before.

Finally, any advice for adapting my stovetop soup recipes to the pressure cooker?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Marianne

sfgreydog, looks like you've gotten some great cookbook tips - and CONGRATS on the IP purchase! I am finding it hard to remember how I got by without one for so long - and that from someone who's been using the 'old fashioned' kind of pressure cooker for years!

I've a couple more recipes and ideas you might enjoy here:

http://www.lanimuelrath.com/recipes/my-new-kitchen-buddy-instant-pot-electric-pressure-cooker-review/

The same page has my Instant Pot review.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Thanks, Lani.

Turns out the IP is backordered, so I won't be able to start cooking with it for another month-plus. But that will give me time to read up on using it, selecting first recipes, etc.

Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM

sfgreydog wrote:

Thanks, Lani.

Turns out the IP is backordered, so I won't be able to start cooking with it for another month-plus. But that will give me time to read up on using it, selecting first recipes, etc.

Oh dear! Well, may it be speedier than you think - arrival that is!

Hope you took advantage of the $45 discount on the page link I posted! Takes a big chunk off the price. If not, you could probably cancel your order and then reorder at discount - it brings the price down from over $150 to $114.

Keep me posted and let me know when she arrives!

Lani

Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM

sfgreydog wrote:

Thanks, Lani.

double post - I had gotten an error message, so thought that it didn't 'take'. Confused

Edited 01/15/14 8:48 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

[quote="sfgreydog"]Thanks, Lani.

Hope you took advantage of the $45 discount on the page link I posted! Takes a big chunk off the price. If not, you could probably cancel your order and then reorder at discount - it brings the price down from over $150 to $114.

I've been trying to decide whether to order the Instant Pot from their website or Amazon. I was wondering if your discount code would still work, Lani. Do you know if they charge for shipping? The Instant Pot rep. told me they might be in sooner on Amazon. They're $125 there but if they charge for shipping on Instantpot.com, it might be about the same or less depending on the shipping charges.

Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

deborahjm wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:
[quote="sfgreydog"]Thanks, Lani.

I've been trying to decide whether to order the Instant Pot from their website or Amazon. I was wondering if your discount code would still work, Lani. Do you know if they charge for shipping? The Instant Pot rep. told me they might be in sooner on Amazon. They're $125 there but if they charge for shipping on Instantpot.com, it might be about the same or less depending on the shipping charges.

Instant Pot did NOT charge me for shipping when I ordered via their site using the fitquickies code. Same for others who have done likewise. You can run it through yourself or simply send cust service a quick note to ask. But in my experience, no shipping!

Lani

Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Thanks, Lani. I should have asked about shipping when I asked about availability.

Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Hi Lani, I ordered through Amazon because I had a gift certificate that made buying it now possible.

But for anyone else considering, I'd suggest going through the link on Lani's excellent review. Support her indepth reporting in the IP --and you'll even save a little over Amazon's price, too Laughing

Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Thought I'd update this thread. I ordered the Instant Pot pressure cooker and received the discount with the code from Lani. They did not charge for shipping. I'm very pleased with the Instant Pot. I haven't made any recipes in it yet. I have cooked brown rice, corn on the cob and red potatoes, which were all perfect. Right now the stores in my area have bags of little almost bite-size red potatoes in stock for crawfish boils. Those come out great in the Instant Pot, with or without spices. Have used it to cook some things for the non vegans which they said were delicious also.

Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM

deborahjm wrote:

Thought I'd update this thread. I ordered the Instant Pot pressure cooker and received the discount with the code from Lani. They did not charge for shipping. I'm very pleased with the Instant Pot. I haven't made any recipes in it yet. I have cooked brown rice, corn on the cob and red potatoes, which were all perfect. Right now the stores in my area have bags of little almost bite-size red potatoes in stock for crawfish boils. Those come out great in the Instant Pot, with or without spices. Have used it to cook some things for the non vegans which they said were delicious also.

Hi deborahjm!

So excited for you! I still love my IP and use it all the time, sometimes twice for one meal! The manual time button has started to show signs of wear - honestly! Maybe I should write to them and make sure I'm not on the cusp of a breakdown!

I have blackbeans in it right now - I always add a scoop of cumin seeds and when it cooks, infuses a wonderful flavor and aroma.

Keep me posted on how all goes! Did you just get it?

Lani

Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Lani,

I've had it about a month or so and didn't start using it right away. I'll try your tip and add cumin the next time I make rice. Just joined the Instant Pot group on Facebook, which looks helpful.

Deborah

Posted Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

deborahjm wrote:

Lani,

I've had it about a month or so and didn't start using it right away. I'll try your tip and add cumin the next time I make rice. Just joined the Instant Pot group on Facebook, which looks helpful.

Deborah

OK! Let me know how it all goes!

By the way, even when I soak beans I have to pressure cook them for 40 to 45 minutes. I don't know how people are doing it in six! Never worked that way for me, even with my old pressure cooker. You can always run things again if the beans aren't done the first time you run them through.

I'll have to check out the fb group! Is it under Instant Pot?

Lani

Posted Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Lani,

It's "Instant Pot Users Group" and I'm sure someone there could help you with the beans. I've cooked green lentils in it but not beans yet.

Deborah

Posted Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM

deborahjm wrote:

Lani,

It's "Instant Pot Users Group" and I'm sure someone there could help you with the beans. I've cooked green lentils in it but not beans yet.

Deborah

Thanks Deborah! Lentils, no problem - they are always fast cookers, so I should have clarified.

I'll check the group out too.

Lani

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 328 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org