21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: replacement for 1/2 n 1/2
Created on: 09/02/12 01:30 PM Views: 2073 Replies: 13
replacement for 1/2 n 1/2
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hardest part for me is not having 1/2 n 1/2 in my morning tea. I find that Silk and Coconut substitutes are heavily processed. Any suggestions?

What about RAW dairy?

RE: replacement for 1/2 n 1/2
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Have you tried almond milk? I don't drink coffee, but I know many people have talked about using almond milk.

Vikki ~

Edited 09/02/12 3:48 PM
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

It's not all about just being "vegan" by definition. There are many things about dairy that do not promote optimal health, and can work to promote disease, so that's why avoiding dairy is really important.

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Anything that is packaged will be pretty processed, that's true. But I would challenge you to figure out a way to make your morning drink work for these 3 short weeks. Whether that means drinking it black, not drinking it at all, or finding a good substitute. You can do anything for three weeks!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I make "cream" based soups by running nuts and water in my Vitamix, what about trying something like that? Make it thin, you can add as much sweetener (or not) as you like a few drops of vanilla or what have you. You might like it.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

lindaglcpa wrote:

It's not all about just being "vegan" by definition. There are many things about dairy that do not promote optimal health, and can work to promote disease, so that's why avoiding dairy is really important.

Since this is a vegan kick-start it seems the answer to the question should explain what is and is not vegan.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM

donnasaffren wrote:

Hardest part for me is not having 1/2 n 1/2 in my morning tea. I find that Silk and Coconut substitutes are heavily processed. Any suggestions?

What about RAW dairy?

Donnasaffren,

I hear you. Half n half was the last nail in the dairy coffin for me - it lingered far after everything else - even the cheese - had been ditched. I suggest finding a really yummers organic coffee that you find a few tricks for making it really good - fresh grind, good water - and I guarantee that it will just take a few days before you start to enjoy the coffee without the creams.

If you want to wean a little bit, the only non-dairy I really ever liked was the coconut cream one (it doesn't taste like coconut, and it's very low fat) - I think So Delicious makes it? It comes in plain, french vanilla, and hazelnut. You can just use a little less with each passing day. But I can guarantee you'll never find anything that is exactly like half and half. Trust me, I tried. Rolling Eyes

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

There is nothing more comforting than the familiar taste of the first morning coffee. Any change in how you prepare it results in a big disappointment. This is not just changing a little ingredient in a menu item, this is a ritual! People who don't drink coffee don't get it.

Luckily, if you just jump into black coffee, and insist with yourself, you will love the coffee just as much within three or four days. Really! Don't bother with a processed, fatty or sweet substitute as you will also hate it for a few days and then adjust... Same pain but more gain in going black.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 3:06 AM

wow, i can't believe i didn't discover coconut and almond milk before leaving the US and coming to Vietnam! haha, well - in about 5 months when I'm back in US, I'll have to check these out.

Been reading so many positive things about almond milk, I'm excited to try it. I wonder how / if I could make my own? If I bought...let's see, almonds, soak them overnight, add some water/ice, would it work?

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:26 AM

cuteddybears wrote:

wow, i can't believe i didn't discover coconut and almond milk before leaving the US and coming to Vietnam! haha, well - in about 5 months when I'm back in US, I'll have to check these out.

Been reading so many positive things about almond milk, I'm excited to try it. I wonder how / if I could make my own? If I bought...let's see, almonds, soak them overnight, add some water/ice, would it work?

Yes, you can make your own almond milk cuteteddybears! Here's a simple recipe from about.com

Ingredients:

1 cup raw almonds
water for soaking nuts
3 cups water
2 dates (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)

Soak the almonds in water overnight or for at least 6 hours.

Drain the water from the almonds and discard. Blend the 3 cups of water, almonds and dates until well blended and almost smooth.

Strain the blended almond mixture using a cheesecloth or other strainer.

Homemade raw almond milk will keep well in the refrigerator for three or four days.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Coffee can be a very emotional issue for some people, like me. Do not mess with my coffee!! For those that are interested, the creamer Lani mentioned is So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer- original flavor.(Not just coconut milk). It does not taste like coconut, and is not sweet. It is absolutely delicious in coffee. Yes it is processed, but it is not terrible. It has 10cal, 0 fat, 1 carb, 1 gm sugar. It contains NO trans fat, artificial flavors, HFCS, mono or diglycerides. Would my coffee be "healthier" without it? Probably, but I would not enjoy it as much. For those that want to try to eliminate coffee, or learn to drink it black, that is great and I wish you well.

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I'm not really a coffee lover and I've never played one on TV but at least for these 3 weeks, maybe treat yourself to some of that high-end type really GOOD quality coffee that you can drink black. Most grocery stores even have an area where you can choose whole beans and grind them right there in whatever quantity you choose, so you can get just enough for several days. Maybe look at it as an adventure, trying some different coffees.

--DebR

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Agree about drinking coffee back. It is way better than messing with the creamer. For other purposes, we often mix almond milk with oat milk. It seems to taste better and the cost is lower.

Janeoverton

Edited 09/08/12 4:43 PM
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

janeo wrote:

Agree about drinking coffee back. It is way better than messing with the creamer. For other purposes, we often mix almond milk with oat milk. It seems to taste better and the cost is lower.

Way back a zillion years ago, my dad needed to lose weight. He went from coffee with milk/cream/half n half and sugar to black and lost quite a bit of weight - it will be especially visible if, like my dad, you have several cups of coffee per day (he used to be a 4 to 6 cup per day coffee drinker).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 535 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org