21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: medical
Created on: 04/06/12 12:03 PM Views: 539 Replies: 3
medical
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I think it is time to restructure. Have been required to go strictly gluten free for two weeks. Also Uric Acid is high on blood test. Funny, because I don't ordinarily eat meat, though I have not completely eliminated dairy, I have arthritis and diabetes as well. How would one restructure this meal plan to fit other circumstances and still get enough electrolytes, minerals and vitamins? Any ideas are welcome. As I mentioned in another post, Vegan is not only an ethical choice for me, it is a necessity for health.

Janeoverton

RE: medical
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

A lot of doctors are quick to blame gluten these days. It seems to me like they just pick on whichever food has the weakest political lobby.

That said, you can always use rice as a base for your meals. Or potatoes, quinoa etc.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I am also a gluten-free vegan. I have celiac disease, and over time, I learned that I have a corn intolerance so I don't eat corn as well.

I certainly agree that certain digestive related concerns get "trendy" and before I learned that I have celiac disease, I was diagnosed with acid reflux/GERD and irritable bowel. If it had taken a few more years, maybe they would have added Crohn's to the list. I don't think there is any need for the general population to cut out gluten, but I trust everyone to work out their own diagnoses with their doctor to find a solution that helps their medical conditions.

It can be challenge at first to learn how to structure meals, but just like with any other change, you get used to it over time.

My biggest tip is to embrace eating in a new way and not just try to find gluten-free versions of the same foods you ate in the past. Part of that is because you may find them unsatisfying until your palate adjusts and part is because you want to open up to new food ideas.

Typical breakfasts for me:
-Silk Soy Yogurt
-Bob's Red Mill GF oats with raisins
-Tofu scramble
-millet with tomato slices

Typical lunches for me:
-Chickpea salad with parsley and lemon juice
-Fresh fruit (in addition to any of these other items)
-Rice crackers or cut up veggies and hummus
-Steamed frozen veggies and beans topped with spices like zatar or a Mediterranean spice mix with basil or oregano
-Reheated leftovers from dinners

Typical dinners for me:
-Quinoa or brown rice/beans with veggies roasted in balsamic
-Peas and brown rice cooked with lots of garlic and cumin
-Baked tofu with a massaged kale salad
-Orange marinated tofu with brown rice and steamed broccoli
-Brown rice and beans with salsa and steamed veggies
-Quinoa with peas, peppers, rosemary, and walnuts
-Watercress salad with brown rice

I love brown basmati rice, red rice, black rice, wild rice, and short grain brown rice. I use a rainbow mix of quinoa that includes the beige, red, and black seeds. I don't cook with much oil, but I do like to sprinkle a few sesame seeds or nuts into some dishes.

I'm happy to send you some recipes for these dishes if any of them interest you. I find it easiest to start with recipes that are inherently gluten-free before trying to modify other recipes.

Eventually, you may want to add GF vegan convenience foods like frozen waffles or frozen pizza, but I advise to start with simple, nutrient rich meals to adjust your palate and help your body heal.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I agree with Marigoldmind, it is a change of patterns. I have celiac which was diagnosed incorrectly with many other things as well, GERD, IBS, etc..

I would be happy to help however I can, feel free to private mail me if you need help.

You can also checkout www.vegiac.com

It is for GF vegans.

Best wishes!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 366 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org