21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Critique from follower of Mediterranean Diet
Created on: 03/03/14 10:09 AM Views: 287 Replies: 3
Critique from follower of Mediterranean Diet
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM

A friend questioned my decision to change 100% to a low-fat vegan diet by countering that the Mediterranean Diet, with olive oil, is much more healthy. Doesn't olive oil add calories and plaque, creating an environment for new or worsening heart disease?

I'm hooked, but need some ammunition to unload "naysayers" who haven't seen the light.

Thanks....

RE: Critique from follower of Mediterranean Diet
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

If you're going to use added oils, olive oil is one of the better choices. But, the kickstart gets rid of added oils as being unnecessary for the most part.

Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

A Mediterranean-style diet is better than the standard American diet, thanks to its emphasis on plant foods. However, the results you see with a Mediterranean-style diet are not nearly as powerful as those you see with low-fat, plant-based diets.

In order to see the types of results we discuss in the Kickstart -- REVERSAL of diabetes, REMOVAL of plaque from the arteries, PERMANENTLY losing weight without portion control -- you need a diet that is very low in fat. It's almost impossible to partake in oils, which are 100 percent fat, and keep a diet to around 10 percent of fat from calories.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

dennioday wrote:

I'm hooked, but need some ammunition to unload "naysayers" who haven't seen the light.

Thanks....

This may land a little harsh but I don't feel the need to defend the way I eat. I don't expect other people to explain to me what they eat and why, and I don't explain my way of eating. Of course if someone inquires because they are interested in trying it themselves I will totally discuss it. The minute they start telling me I'm wrong, or I need more protein, or I need heart healthy oils, etc. I'm done. It's a personal choice not open for discussion or debate.

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 478 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org