21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Snacking Foods
Created on: 03/03/14 11:12 AM Views: 929 Replies: 8
Snacking Foods
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I started with this Kickstart last month and so far have been successful for only half the time. Till - the last week and now I feel I'm on a healthy roll.

The only temptation (so far) is when my husband sits next to me while we're watching TV and brings out his stash of snacks. It drives my taste buds nuts! And yes, I've talked to him about eating his junk food elsewhere but that only lasts a few days. No, he's NOT gonna change no matter what I say!

So my question is: besides looking for high quality dark chocolate, what else can I munch on along with him? That way I'll have my own stash so when he passes his bowl, I won't be tempted! (no veggie suggestions please)

RE: Snacking Foods
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM

How about air-popped corn or kale chips? There are some great recipes on the web for both

Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Snacky stuff:

popcorn - (put 1/2 cup of popcorn in a plain brown paper lunchbag and pop it in the microwave to get tasty oil free popcorn) - sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a salty, parmesan like flavor; or just a pinch of salt or garlic powder or whatever you like on popcorn. Sometimes I do a mix of salt, cinnamon and a little evaporated cane juice (raw sugar) to get a sweet n salty snack

chickpeas - cooked, cold chickpeas sprinkled with salt are similar to peanuts for snacking. you can even cook them then toast them in the oven a little to get a roasted flavor

hummus - with crackers or sliced veg

chocolate pudding (for the occasional treat) - we have a recipe that uses plant milk, raw sugar, vegan chocolate chips, cocoa powder and corn starch to make an awesome 'feed this to the non-vegans' treat

slices of apple with a schmear of nut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon

any kind of fresh fruit or veg

baked sweet potato chips or kale chips

applesauce (the 'just apples' kind - we make our own in the fall and can it for a go-to snack as well as baking ingredient)

nachos! again, because it's higher in fat, this is not an every night thing, but we do a cashew butter and nutritional yeast 'cheese' sauce then add salsa (hot or not) and dip it up with baked tortilla chips...it hits that salty crunchy just right

pickles - a good crunchy kosher dill can hit the cravings just right

--DebR

Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM

BUGSMOM - can you share your chocolate pudding and dark chocolate recipes with us please?

Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Whimzee wrote:

BUGSMOM - can you share your chocolate pudding and dark chocolate recipes with us please?

Chocolate candy (found somewhere online, I didn't invent it but can't properly cite the originator)

equal parts coconut oil and raw cocoa powder
half as much maple syrup (or honey, but that's not vegan)
a splash of vanilla
pinch of salt
Melt coconut oil over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and whisk in the other ingredients. Pour onto parchment lined baking pan (you want something with edges or a lip because it will be fairly liquidy)
Refrigerate - after about 20 minutes, check on it and rewhish slightly if it looks like the maple syrup is separating out
You can lay out any kind of 'mix in' on the pan and pour the chocolate over it - raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit, nuts, etc. You can also whisk in a little cinnamon or cayenne or whatever you like before pouring.
After about 3 hours it should be set nicely. Remove from fridge, cut into pieces and store in sealed container in the fridge - since coconut oil is liquid over 76 degrees F, you don't want to leave it sitting out most of the time (it gets kind of sticky and soft).
This is also good if you have a favorite granola bar (or granola ball) recipe - dip the bar into the mixture then set it on parchment and refrigerate. No more buying those chocolate covered granola bars at the store (with who knows what ingredients)

Chocolate Pudding
2 ¾ cups any kind of milk (almond, cow, coconut, etc.) divided into 2 ½ cups and ¼ cup
½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life has good vegan chocolate chips)
2 tbl cocoa powder
6 tbl corn starch
¼ cup sugar (we use raw sugar for this)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Optional: 1 tsp cognac, brandy, rum, amaretto, etc.

Combine 2 ½ cups milk, chocolate chips and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the chips melt and it’s all well combined.
Combine corn starch, sugar, salt and mix well.
Add ¼ cup milk to corn starch mixture and stir until smooth
Pour corn starch mixture into chocolate mixture
Stir until it thickens and it looks like pudding
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla (and alcohol if desired)
Divide into cups (or pour into pre-baked pie shell) and chill
We've used this as pudding cups, as pie filling and for making lovely layered parfaits (with fresh fruit in the layers, could also use a granola crumble and/or cashew crème)

Keep in mind that while both of these are vegan, neither of them are particularly low fat so they are for occasional treats - the pudding is a good one to serve to guests, they'd never know it was vegan.

--DebR

Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Talkin' 'bout snackin' foods.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Chips-Maker-Trays-Mandoline-Green/dp/B008J4ODPC/ref=pd_sim_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=19XWKSASPNARQ6T251ZK

I make home made potato chips, oil free and delicious.

Vikki ~

Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM

you can do something similar and make apple chips and such as well.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Thank you, BUGSMOM, for sharing your recipes! Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 519 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org