21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Sour Dough/Rye Bread?
Created on: 03/03/14 12:26 PM Views: 578 Replies: 4
Sour Dough/Rye Bread?
Posted Monday, March 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

In the past, I used to love Orowheat Sour Dough Rye bread but, of course, I'm not eating it now (good thing I can't find it any longer)! Anyone know of a healthy sour dough and/or rye bread that they enjoy? I've tried the dense dark rye that is imported but it's way too heavy for my taste.

RE: Sour Dough/Rye Bread?
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I have not checked the ingredients... but we love the rye bread from Panera Bread. We buy the big loaf for about 7.00. Love it when we make TEmpha Rubens and sweet potato fries.
I just looked on their website... if you think yeast isn't vegan, then it is a no go ..

Ingredient List

Rye

unbleached enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, rye chops (may contain wheat), whole wheat flour, salt, caraway seed, yeast (yeast, sorbitan monostearate, ascorbic acid).

Edited 03/04/14 11:53 AM
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

So glad you brought this up, Whimzee! The only thing I've been reading for on bread labels is fiber... I hadn't considered there may be animal products in it, except for maybe an egg.

I usually eat nice grainy/seedy bread with high fiber (Milton's) and haven't worried about it. I always figured an egg in the occasional slice of bread isn't going to raise my cholesterol levels. Are there other things to look out for? I had also never considered yeast to be non-vegan... ?

I hope sourdough is acceptable - it would be nice to have sometimes!

Edited 03/04/14 1:35 PM
Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

There are a few items you will have to decide on your own if they are vegan or not.. or how vegan you are.
Hard line vegans do not eat yeast or honey. I guess it partly comes down to WHY you are doing it.

I say I am plant strong. I do eat yeast and honey. I have found as soon as you say you are vegan the "vegan police" show up. Now everything you eat and wear seems to be up for debate to everyone you have told.

I am very happy to be plant strong. I am not plant perfect, but hey I set the bar low so I can achieve my goal. It seems to be working for me. lol.

Posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sapphire wrote:

So glad you brought this up, Whimzee! The only thing I've been reading for on bread labels is fiber... I hadn't considered there may be animal products in it, except for maybe an egg.

I usually eat nice grainy/seedy bread with high fiber (Milton's) and haven't worried about it. I always figured an egg in the occasional slice of bread isn't going to raise my cholesterol levels. Are there other things to look out for? I had also never considered yeast to be non-vegan... ?

I hope sourdough is acceptable - it would be nice to have sometimes!

Whey is sometimes used in bread - that's a dairy product; casein is also dairy based. Also check for things like high fructose corn syrup. Dough conditioners are also used and tend to be long chemical type names. If you want "whole wheat" bread, then "whole" needs to be the first word - not "unbleached enriched flour", that's still white flour. The best choices are those that have an ingredient list that looks like the recipe in a home cookbook - whole grain(s), water, yeast, tad of sugary something for the yeast to eat on, pinch of salt and that's about it.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 583 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org