21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Certification course in Plant based nutrition?
Created on: 04/06/12 03:44 PM Views: 8598 Replies: 5
Certification course in Plant based nutrition?
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hi guys!!
I am thinking about taking up a certification course in plant based nutrition. One of the courses I came across was an online course offered through e-Cornell. Does any one have any experience? How intense it was etc? True I can read up on eCornell's website but I would really appreciate if any one has any first hand exp.

Thanks and Best Regards,
vegankitty

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

RE: Certification course in Plant based nutrition?
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I have taken this course, and enjoyed it very much. The material is accessible to anyone without needing a medical degree to understand it on some practical level (most of it, anyway). The topics are interesting and cover a good spectrum of the health benefits of a whole-foods plant-based diet, as well as the benefits to the environment and world. The guest speakers are a fantastic group of scientists, doctors, and other professionals with expertise on the topics covered, and I can't wait to find time to read all their books. I also enjoyed the homework assignments and group interaction among class members.

The one thing that makes access to this course difficult for some is the price. Much, if not all, of this information is available for a smaller investment by researching on the web and/or reading the books of our fine group of experts including Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Campbell, Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Hans Diehl, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Pamela Popper, etc.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

vegankitty wrote:

Hi guys!!
I am thinking about taking up a certification course in plant based nutrition. One of the courses I came across was an online course offered through e-Cornell. Does any one have any experience? How intense it was etc? True I can read up on eCornell's website but I would really appreciate if any one has any first hand exp.

Thanks and Best Regards,
vegankitty

Hi Vegankitty!

I took the Cornell course and really like it too. It's given me some great archives of material to which to refer in coaching and instruction.

There are 2 articles I put together about the course, if you'd like to take a look.

Plant-based Nutrition Certification Cornell University Q & A: Part 1

Protein madness and special interests, aka the #1 thing I learned in plant-based nutrition school

It was time intensive but you can spread it out through the modules as you like. For example, if you sign up for the entire course, you can delay your completion of certain modules as long as you inform the instructor. There are assignments within the course discussions where you needed to take a position and back it up with info from readings - all very helpful projects.

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Vegankitty, thank you for bringing this class to my attention. I am an RN and currently work in cardiac rehab. I have been teaching heart disease management classes and stress a plant-based diet. I've been searching for local/on-line certification programs/degrees to give me a bit of credibility with my patients (besides the tons of research articles I have accumulated). I'm not sure how I missed the e-cornell program. Will definitely look into it.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Thank you every one for your input/feedback Smile

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

My son and I took the T. Colin Campbell/Cornell course a couple of years ago. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it. (It is true, as mentioned before, that you can get much of the info through self-study by reading a lot of books (Dr. McDougall's, Dr. Esselstyn's, Dr. Campbell's--his new book should be out towards the end of the year, I think--Dr. Pam Popper, Dr. Greger, etc.), checking out dvds of the above doctors and others, Dr. Greger's nutrtionfacts.org site, pcrm.org, drmcdougall.com, and other websites of the doctors mentioned above).
If you are able to take the course, you will learn a lot, participate in the forums with the other students and facilitators, and have the certificate when you pass!
Since taking the course, I have been vegan coaching. It is very rewarding to help people learn about whole food vegan nutrition, and hear of their success at healing from heart disease, type 2 diabetes, eye problems, weight problems, etc., etc.
Please note: I do not give personal advice when I vegan coach (except general info encouraging the adoption of the diet, after which I direct people to one of the doctor's or dietitian's articles on the subject). I just try to always direct people to research the work of the doctors, dietitians, PhD's, etc, whose work is taught through the course, I help with moral support, and I make them up cookbooks full of recipes that contain delicious whole lowfat vegan foods with no added oils and very little (if any) sugar.
Hope this is helpful information; good luck!
KarenR

Edited 04/08/12 2:08 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 262 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org