21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Oil Free Bread
Created on: 09/02/12 10:14 PM Views: 3150 Replies: 10
Oil Free Bread
Posted Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I'm new to the forum and am not sure I know how to use it. I wrote a reply to a post and could see it on the forum but tried posting a topic and didn't see it, so here it goes again.

I know some vegan writers advocate a no oil diet, but I have a bread machine and love "home baked" bread. Does anyone know of a source for oil-less vegan bread? Particularly some that can be made in a bread machine?

RE: Oil Free Bread
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I use a bread machine and have revised one of the recipes that came with the machine. I use whole wheat flour, and use a bit (1/4 c) gluten flour so that its not too dense but rises nicely. For the oil I used to use 3 tbsp. as the recipe called for but now I either leave it out all together, which sometimes makes it difficult to get the paddles out of the bread. Or lately I've been spraying with Spectrum Olive Oil non stick cooking spray. I just give a quick spray so that the paddles don't stick.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM

jvandling wrote:

I'm new to the forum and am not sure I know how to use it. I wrote a reply to a post and could see it on the forum but tried posting a topic and didn't see it, so here it goes again.

I know some vegan writers advocate a no oil diet, but I have a bread machine and love "home baked" bread. Does anyone know of a source for oil-less vegan bread? Particularly some that can be made in a bread machine?

Hi jvandling!

I've got some great information for you too - I'm compiling it for a blog article (making oil-free, animal-free bread in a breadmaker) and it will be up soon - you've inspired me to make it sooner rather than later!

By the way, for purchase I usually get either the Food for Life sprouted bread, same from Alvarado Street and even Trader Joes has a version. Trader Joe's also has a Demi Panache bread with only organic ww flour, water and salt! Check for it on the shelf with the specialy breads - you slice it yourself. I have a little video on it here:

How to eat bread on a slimming diet: My tips and tricks (video)

Looks like you are doing just fine on the forums!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

What do you put on a sandwich? It seems like hummus has Tahini or can you make it without?

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Determined wrote:

What do you put on a sandwich? It seems like hummus has Tahini or can you make it without?

Hey Determined!

YES you can make it without!

Here you go:

Hummus is the new mayo

Fastest flippin' hummus in the west

You can also thin it with rice vinegar for salad and grains dressing - it's a basic! I'll be sure to include it in the new Plant-Based Blueprint I'm putting together.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM

We use the Kickstart hummus recipe - it does use tahini but very little (1 tbl for the whole batch which is HUGE). We've done roasted red pepper, we've done plain, we've done sundried tomato and herb (current favorite!) - they're all yummy.

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Thanks Lani for the ideas about hummus and bread. I went to the other side of town to Trader Joes last night hoping to find the demi panuche (hope I spelled that right - since I can't see your message at the moment). I found a few other breads that seemed like they might be ok. There are very few breads that have 5 gms of fat and no oil. Those breads you suggested with the spouted grain have only 3 gms of fat. I suppose one doesn't need to be that rigid to make this work.

Are their good rule of thumbs about have hummus with Tahinni. Trader Joes is 3 gms of Fat so does the receipi I think in the 21 day kick start book. I had some last night. I like guidelines - like no more than once or twice a week - won't slow weight loss - or never until you are at desired weight etc.

I will try to make your oil free one.

I am still very Determined - but I will let you all know my name is Karen.

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Determined wrote:

Thanks Lani for the ideas about hummus and bread. I went to the other side of town to Trader Joes last night hoping to find the demi panuche (hope I spelled that right - since I can't see your message at the moment). I found a few other breads that seemed like they might be ok. There are very few breads that have 5 gms of fat and no oil. Those breads you suggested with the spouted grain have only 3 gms of fat. I suppose one doesn't need to be that rigid to make this work.

Are their good rule of thumbs about have hummus with Tahinni. Trader Joes is 3 gms of Fat so does the receipi I think in the 21 day kick start book. I had some last night. I like guidelines - like no more than once or twice a week - won't slow weight loss - or never until you are at desired weight etc.

One of the 'guidelines' for the kickstart is to keep percent of calories from fat under 10%. Most labelled products list that next to the calories and fat information, which is handy. Most of the Kickstart recipes list calories and fat and such, so that info is available. Oh, and it's your overall day - so if you have a near zero fat lunch (like a vegetable soup), a spoonful of hummus won't throw you off in the scheme of things.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Determined wrote:

Thanks DebR

Plus, Determined, remember that whole natural foods also have fat content - that's where you will be able to get your essential fats. The grains in the bread have natural fat content, so even with no added oils, there is some fat. This is not a bad thing. Make sense?

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I am just re-reading what I said. The issue I have is about the gms of Fiber. Not the gms of fat. So if it has no added oil but doesn't come to 5 gms of fiber - is 3 gms of Fiber ok?

Costco has a really good tasting whole grain artisan bread with no added fat - (I think it has preservatives though). Is that an ok bread?

I can't get to Trader Joe's real often. Now the Ezekial break is frozen in my grocery store. But it too has only 3 gms of fiber. Karen

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Determined writes

"I will try to make your oil free bread."

Where did you get the recipe for oil free bread? Am I missing something? The only thing I saw in response to my question about oil free bread was Lani stating she was working on a blog article. I didn't see where to currently find a recipe or where the blog article was supposed to be.

I am new to using these forums (and blogs in general) so please let me know if I am missing something. Also, I'm dying for the oil free bread recipes. Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1070 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org