21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: calories per day?
Created on: 04/06/12 08:59 PM Views: 2554 Replies: 16
calories per day?
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I'm looking at the suggested menus for the 21 day Kickstart. How many calories per day are they?

RE: calories per day?
Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I haven't seen calories for the suggested menus. But, I have been on the program since January and have not counted calories, or points, or any such thing. As long as you stick to low fat plant based whole foods, no need to count at all. One of my goals for following this plan is weight loss....initially I was concerned about not counting calories (it just felt wrong!) but no worries now...the weight is coming off quite nicely and naturally!

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

And added to that, please eat as much as you like, if it is low fat plant based.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Babs - I forgot to mention that there are calories and nutrients listed for each recipe, just not for the full daily menu. But again...no need to worry over those calories!

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Babs - I forgot to mention that there are calories and nutrients listed for each recipe, just not for the full daily menu. But again...no need to worry over those calories!

--Sandy

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Hi sandy (?)

A quick calculation for the suggested menus comes out to about 900 calories a day. Thus my query. This doesn't seem very healthy. Since this is my first day, I wondered if I'm missing something.

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm not familiar with this board style, so pardon if my posts aren't coming in correctly.

I still see recommendations for low-carb diet as being the best for weight loss. A moment ago I read low-carb testimonies on the Heart and Stroke website. It's a puzzle to know just what would be best, and I begin to wonder if it's not the low calorie count itself which is causing weight loss, however I am going to try this approach for the 21 days, with some minor changes because I do have to eat food I already have.

Has anyone a good bread to recommend? I bought a Squirrel brand sprouted wheat bread but do not care for the texture. Kind of like eating sponge. lol.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Babs, repeat, you are not limited to 900 or any other calorie level on this diet. Please do not be hungry. Eat as much of these recipes as you like. No need to count calories or to fill up on bread. Seriously.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

The low carb diet, in my mind, stems from too much consumption of highly processed carbs - thus reducing those carbs will result in weight loss or improved health. The vegan plan includes whole grains, and when you combine those with the other 3 staples, beans, veges and fruits - it's the combination of all of those that results in weight loss or improved health. For me, this just works - where every other popular plan of counting this and that did not.

There are a few discussion threads on this board covering bread - scroll through those for lots of suggestions. I personally choose 100% whole wheat and choose the lowest fat/sugar version I can find. I also love pump&rye, again I choose the lowest fat/sugar I can find. Same with pita and flatbreads, which I include in my diet more often than bread.

--Sandy

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Thanks again. I see. Well, I've never eaten junk food/white flour baking/pastries/cakes, etc/deep fried/fried/breaded/packaged/fast food/candy. I walk 30 mins to one hour every day. (But not fast because of moderate disability). Don't smoke or drink. Nothing budges! I think age must have quite an effect on metabolism, and I was disabled by a back injury, and the aforementioned Statins. I have never recovered from what they did to me. I don't think I could eat as much as I wanted, because I have never eaten more than about 2,500 calories daily. That is about 500 more than recommended for an adult woman.

Edited 04/07/12 8:39 AM
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You might be able to eat as much as you wanted if you stopped counting. Just be sure to follow the menu, or to eat only whole veggies, fruit, beans/lentils and whole grains. Try it for a few weeks.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

RE: calories per day?-bread
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Hi,
I have 2 kinds of breads we like. One is to toast.. that is usually like a rye, mulitigrain.. very dense and holds us for a while.. These are usually local bakers, a bit pricy, but without a lot of additives.

Then we found another bread that we like a lot for sandwhiches... Never going to believe this.. TARGET brand!! It is whole grain, no hfcs, whole wheat, or whole wheat honey.. or multigrain. The bread is cut just a little thicker than other sliced bread... just the right density to hold up with a sandwhich, but not be too much bread.. even better news.. it is $2.50 a loaf. Even Target has a hard time keeping it on the shelf!

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Hi, and thanks again for all your answers. We don't have Target here. I did buy a loaf of Silver Hills bread earlier in the week, on sale at $4.69. I will now have to eat it even though it is tasteless and feels cottony. Not a recommendation obviously. I do not eat flour or grain, but rice and oats, so have bought very little bread for about 2 1/2 years, but since this is sprouted thought I'd give it a try to fit with the program. I can eat a small amount of regular bread (whole grain, Levain rased) about twice a week, but I haven't yet this month and only four slices in March. I patronise a bakery where I can buy it by the slice.

I can't throw food out, so yesterday I ate about a quarter of a tin of tuna, mixed with green onion, celery, and pepitas. I had it in the fridge. It's done now.

Edited 04/07/12 1:10 PM
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Maybe this is a good topic in which to ask my question. I started a plant based diet to lose weight, then I viewed Forks Over Knives and now I'm in it to be healthier as well, although I was already eating an extremely healthy diet, it just wasn't totally plant based. Over a few months, I lost 10 pounds, but now I've gained back 8. Any ideas why? One reason I'm thinking is not the meals but my snacking--I snack on raw almonds, soy crisp crackers, and yes even blue corn tortillas. And if I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep I really get the munchies. During the day I do snack on fresh fruit or carrots or celery. I also exercise hard 3-4 times a week. Any idea why the weight loss is not maintaining? I only need to lose 10-12 lbs.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Bluegrass, I think you have answered yourself. Come on... munchies in the middle of the night?

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Yeah, I think you're right Gryphonepro. Therefore raw almonds and chips are banned from the house, but now I snack on whole grain crackers! But I did that when I was not eating a vegan diet and hadn't gained weight in years. I'm not eating any of the planned desserts on the plan and sometimes have a hard time eating all the prescribed food even when I cut to recipe to feed two. Oh well, we'll see if the increase in exercise plus the banned almonds and chips plus the vegan lifestyle will work this time. I'm in it for life no matter what happens but I may need to start calorie counting to keep myself accountable.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Check out Dr. Greger's free online book for the skinny on low carb Atkins-style diets and why they don't work in the long run--and are very dangerous:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/

Hope this is helpful,
KarenR

PS to Bluegrass: Are you eating enough whole foods containing unprocessed carbohydrates? You might want to think about what you snack on... Snacks with added oils will cause problems... Snacking on delicious starches like dry-baked sweet or white potato "fries" are very satisfying! You might want to check out drmcdougall.com for great advice and tons of recipes.
Very Happy

Edited 04/08/12 2:21 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 213 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: blackcarl2

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org