21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Favourite sauce recipes?
Created on: 11/24/13 10:16 AM Views: 1052 Replies: 6
Favourite sauce recipes?
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hi all,

What are everyone's favourite, go-to sauce recipes? I find that's often the hardest thing for me - especially during the week when I'm tired and don't have as much time.

It's easy enough to prepare the 'base' for a meal: brown rice, quinoa, or some other whole grain, then maybe lentils or some kind of beans. And then of course lots of veggies.

But where I sometimes run into trouble is figuring out what topping I want for the whole meal. It's easy to make one thing all the time and then get bored with it.

I tend to either go with some kind of marinara sauce or sometimes I'll make some variation on a tahini dressing (usually with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, etc).

What kinds of sauces does everyone like to use on their meals? Let's start a list that everyone can use when they need inspiration! Smile

RE: Favourite sauce recipes?
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I'm a LAZY cook. So I tend to eat stews with a lot of curry, hot peppers, and vegie broth. Or I will make "cheese" sauce for pasta with nutritional yeast and almond milk. And when I'm super tired, I'll just open up a can of fire-roasted tomatoes.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Sounds good to me! Smile

Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

For quick meal when you are too tired to cook, Mexican style salsa from a jar tops a burrito filled with your choice of beans, left over chili, etc., spices up left over rice, & is an ingredient for making fresh guacamole as a topping for a tostada or a salad.

email
Posted Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Yum!! I'll have to pick up a jar of salsa Smile

Posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Salsa's a good topping for a baked potato too. I throw some beans on the potato, salsa and leftover veggies for lunch.

Posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Yum!! Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 422 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org