21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Encouragement and Accountability
Created on: 12/29/11 01:57 PM Views: 3030 Replies: 15
Encouragement and Accountability
Posted Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've signed up for the Kickstart for the umpteenth time and I could sure use some encouragement. Now that I am living without a family, I have new excuses for this not to work for me.

I need it to work. My bloodwork results are not good and my weight is up there.

Accountability is also so important. If there are others out there who are struggling with sticking to a low-fat plant-based diet, perhaps we can check in with each other.

For example, have you downloaded the basic grocery list and first week "in lieu of" week one grocery list yet? Have you checked to see what you need? When will you be going shopping? Some of these things I still need to do!

For the sake of our health, the environment, and the animals, let's go gang,
Anne

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that he didn't trust me so much." -- Mother Teresa

RE: Encouragement and Accountability
Posted Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 1:14 AM

AnnieGoat wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've signed up for the Kickstart for the umpteenth time and I could sure use some encouragement. Now that I am living without a family, I have new excuses for this not to work for me.

I need it to work. My bloodwork results are not good and my weight is up there.

Accountability is also so important. If there are others out there who are struggling with sticking to a low-fat plant-based diet, perhaps we can check in with each other.

For example, have you downloaded the basic grocery list and first week "in lieu of" week one grocery list yet? Have you checked to see what you need? When will you be going shopping? Some of these things I still need to do!

For the sake of our health, the environment, and the animals, let's go gang,
Anne

Hey AnnieGoat!

Great advice and thanks for all the positive energy right out of the gate!

So glad you'll be along for the journey. Be sure to let me know if I can be of any assist, I'll be in here a lot to help it all move forward.

Show me the plants!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Hi Annie, It is I think my 3rd time here too. I have been a vegan for almost two years. I think. I has been a way of life for me that I lost count.

Keep at it girl. I had my cholesterol blood work done and it was down by 50 points!!! Me and my doc were so happy. No meds for this girl. I did it with the vegan diet and Red Yeast Rice and Coq10 nature supplement.

I haven't looked the food yet...I usually have to do my own thing since I am gluten free, but I will try to follow it as best I can. I have found some great recipes here and still use them over and over.

Good luck on your journey to a better way of eating.

Blessings
Renee' Very Happy

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I understand what you're saying about being on your own - it's difficult to follow a diet that's radically different from what others in your household are eating. It's what usually gives me an excuse not to eat the way I know I should. I'll be here (I hope) every day, so we can help each other stay accountable and encourage each other.

Me, I'm still in the thick of it - living with a traditionally-oriented former chef who will gladly eat whatever vegan meals I cook but who NEVER cooks by the Kickstart philosophy. So I either have to cook another meal for myself to eat, or I say "what the heck" and end up eating whatever bit of deliciousness my husband has cooked up. It's going to be a struggle, but I'm committed to 21 days come hell or highwater!

peace

Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hi Annie! Looks like we're almost neighbours! I'm just across the river from you. This is great - we can help each other source out products.

This is my "umpeenth" time too, and like you, need to get back on the wagon after Christmas - too many unhealthy snacks and chocolates. Embarassed It feels better already.

Happy New Year everyone!

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Well, I've hit my first challenge right at the start. My two adult daughters are staying with me for two days. They're vegetarians but not vegans. I don't think they'll really mind though if I make delicious vegan food while they are here!

But I'm not following the Kickstart menu exactly either. I, too, need to avoid gluten - or at least wheat - according to my Naturopath, and I see a significant reduction in the swelling in my ankles when I do.

I find Susan O'Brien's cookbook The Gluten-Free Vegan to be very helpful.

Eating out can be another challenge when you need to avoid gluten but I love sushi and there is a wonderful place near me that does brown rice sushi ("hold the mayo").

We can overcome our challenges and hurdles and do so deliciously.

How are you doing?

Anne

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that he didn't trust me so much." -- Mother Teresa

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

AnnieGoat wrote:

Well, I've hit my first challenge right at the start. My two adult daughters are staying with me for two days. They're vegetarians but not vegans. I don't think they'll really mind though if I make delicious vegan food while they are here!
Anne

Something that is really helpful for us is to have "mix n match" type meals available when we have guests. For instance, Tex-mex meals (burritos, tacos, chili, etc) are build-it-yourself types of things where you can put shredded cheese (or even cooked meat for the omnivores at the table) alongside cooked beans, salsa, avocado, diced tomato, etc. To each his own and no one is singled out or otherwise "odd". Pasta dishes are another - cook the tomato sauce separately from any meat and leave the cheese on the side for those who want (your vegetarian kids). We've done this type stuff for years not because of vegan eating but simply because when DS was a toddler it was easier to just put the parts he liked on his plate (he's one of those who like just plain pasta, sauceless, maybe a pat of butter like product and a sprinkle of serious parmesan cheese - the kind that we grate fresh). Made transitioning to eating kickstart style easier - anyone could, if they chose, add the cheese or whatever to their plate without affecting the main dish ingredients. Nowadays (this is kickstart #4 at our house) it's second nature to leave out most fats, dairy use is dwindling (we used to use a lb or more of cheddar per week, now it's maybe 1/4 of that amongst 3 people, mostly DS who is 13) and we don't buy meat at all.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

AnnieGoat wrote:

They're vegetarians but not vegans. I don't think they'll really mind though if I make delicious vegan food while they are here!
Anne

Given all the diary analogs available, i.e. milks, cheeses, sour cream, cream cheese, etc., I may be underestimating the challenge of offering a vegetarian a vegan option that they'll be satisfied with.

By no means am I minimizing your concern, but I may be missing something important here.

Now, if they were addicted to BBQ, you have my deepest sympathies!

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

AnnieGoat wrote:

Don't mention it, just serve up the vegan. If they notice, just tell them you love them and you're going to help them get over their cheese addiction Wink

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

My daughters left yesterday evening and, at the end of the stay, I pointed out that we'd eaten vegan all the time they'd been there. They hadn't even noticed. Just as I'd suspected, they were too busy enjoying the food! Very Happy

Anne

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That is just awesome! When I told my son I was going vegan (for my heart), he threw down the meat and swore allegiance to the diet to "support" me (he'd done vegan before). Course he's in California and I think he might cheat on occasion, but it's awesome that he's sticking with me on this.

Edited 01/04/12 9:49 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hey! I'm still here. It's the second week and I'm still a practising vegan. Oh, there've been a couple of little slip-ups like forgeting to order my burger without the cheese. (I scraped it off as best as I could. Smile)

I'm not following the Kickstart menu plan exactly but I take ideas from it for other days. It would serve me well to take the fat down some more I'm sure though.

I do have my own low-fat salad dressing recipe that I make from dijon mustard, a little lime juice, and some agave syrup to taste. Simple. Feel free to borrow it.

How is everyone else doing so far?

Anne

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Im not doing as well as id hoped. I blew it one day but got back on the wagon.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

littlebrynne wrote:

Im not doing as well as id hoped. I blew it one day but got back on the wagon.

that's it - if you slip one meal, try again on the next meal. Don't even need to wait a whole day to get back on track.

--Deb R

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Here we are at Day 21. I've managed to stick to the vegan diet pretty well this time. Very Happy Now I'll have to work on making my diet low-fat. Embarassed But all in all I'd consider this Kickstart my greatest success.

How have you all done? I'd love to hear your successes. And for those who feel they've failed, remember that each attempt brings you closer to success. Don't give up. Exclamation

Anne

Posted Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I've done pretty well with sticking to vegan. There was some ghiradelli chocolate chips I ate a few handfuls of today as a snack and I thought they were dairy free but turns out they weren't and I noticed as I was eating themSad They are the 60% cacao ones so watch out, not sure if they changed the formula or I just bought the wrong variety of chips because I remember reading somewhere that brand was vegan. But its okay I've only had a couple instances like that, dairy ingredients can be hidden in some strange places LOL. Like nondairy creamer, which it turns out is dairy based. I've found so delicious original flavor coconut creamer is pretty good though so that fixed that problem. Overall, I consider this a great success. I've lost 10 pounds during the kickstart and I plan to keep using what I've learned to continue to lose weight and improve my healthSmile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 422 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org