21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for support
Created on: 09/03/12 09:45 AM Views: 22229 Replies: 97
Looking for support
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I am a food addict and hope the kickstart will change the trajectory of my life. My family will not go vegan, so I really need some support and hope there are other foodaholics out there who can use some online support too.

If we can just get through the first few days, the cravings will start to subside. I know that food keeps me in denial and that this will be a difficult transition. I am nearly 100 pounds overweight and will be 51 when this kickstart ends - it's high time I get on the path to a long and healthy retirement.

Here's to looking and feeling better in 21 days! I hope to hear from you!

RE: Looking for support
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Well, I need some support, too, so let's be buddies. I'm older, but still dealing with long standing food problems. Ethically and morally I've been vegan my whole life, but the demon food has always won out. I have all those health problems that we were always warned about if we didn't change our eating habits. This is my second Kick Start. I've read all of Dr. Barnard's books and know it will work for both health and weight. Once the good nutrition is in place those craving will defiantly subside. To help it along you might want to try Hoodia. That worked for me before and I plan to do it again. Good luck to you.
Jan

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I would like to join both of you in this "becoming a future non-foodaholic" venture! I have 30 pounds to lose and have been being a yo-yo dieter for years. It is time to end that while I still have good health.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Welcome to our little group! I shopped to really healthy food this morning, but a bag of donuts hopped in my cart! Guess what I had for a snack? Give me a smack, will you please?

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Janet,
Smack! Now, get back to the plan. No beating yourself up; no guilt; just get back.

Re: Hoodia -- How did it help you? Was there a specific brand that you found best for you?

Now, give the donuts to someone else, put them in the freezer, or throw them away. You know they will only call your name if they are in easy reach.

Did you have the rolled oats this morning? Mine were pretty darn good & so far, I'm still satisfied even while doing lots of housework.

Have a wonderful rest of the day! I'm going to cook the Day 1 lentil soup later today.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Right smack at ya! But agreed, no guilt, just good choices. I just returned from the store and am enjoying my zucchini sandwich. This is the farthest I've gotten toward healthy eating in years! I'm so grateful to have this group and getting to know you as we make good choices together!

Does anyone know if splenda or agave are recommended? I will check into hoodia.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I need to join your support group too! My name is Jennifer and I am 48 years old - Also, have a 100 lbs to lose. I have eased into the vegan diet for the past 6 mos. Some days if not many I can be a low fat, plant based vegan and love it! Its the days the emotions, cravings whatever you'd like to call it take over.
I've read The China Study, T. Colin Campbell and How to Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Esselstyn. Both books if you have not read - I strongly encourage you to do so. I've read most of Dr. John McDougall's books and I have finished Dr. Barnard's 21 Day Kickstart and 1/2 way through Breaking The Food Seduction by Dr. Barnard - this one is really hitting home for me.
Sorry for going on and on - though I have a ton of support from my immediate family in my house (husband & daughter) I think my parents, siblings and friends need a lot of convincing. Taking health advice from a fat lady that hasnt lost much weight doesnt help either. Hoping that the 21 day kickstart gives me the confidence that I can do this and do it consistentley that is my biggest issue - lack of consistence.
To answer your question. I am sure Dr. Barnard does not encourage either Splenda or any artificial sweetners.
Try Stevia (all natural no chemicals) Truvia
is a good place to start - I use Sweet Leaf Stevia.
Anyway - good luck to everyone!
Thanks!! Jennifer

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Glad to have you Jennifer. Sounds like you are a wealth of knowledge. Of course, my head is filled with great information on nutrition. If only what comes out of my mouth matched what went in. Hoping this is a kickstart in that direction. I am off to buy some truvia! then homevto make lentil soup.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Nice to have you in the group, Jennifer. I, also, have read most of the books you listed and others. They certainly convinced me that vegan is the healthiest way to eat.

When your family members see the great results in your health and appearance, they may flock to vegan!

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I'd love to be in your group too. I'm 54 (I think) and need to lose at least 30 pounds. I do really well when I'm working, but then I come home and snack. This is my 3rd Kickstart. I lost 12 lbs in the first one and 3 in the next one. I have remained 99% vegan, have maintained the weight loss and feel good. Meat and dairy literally make me feel sick now. One thing that has worked for me is raspberry ketones. Dr. Oz recommended them. They are great for reducing cravings. Good luck to us all.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you and it's great to hear about your success and consistency.

I'm going to get bloodwork done tomorrow, so I'll have a baseline. Hopefully my insurance will let me test again after a month or two eating vegan.

Today I made oatmeal, the zucchini sandwich, lentil soup and a smoothie. I feel really full and glad that I made it through day 1. I have plenty of soup and zucchini for tomorrow and made a batch of brown rice to have on hand. Plenty of fresh fruit too.

Sadly, this is the first successful day of eating in a really long time. I can't waitvto start day two! Thanks for being there. I hope you all had a great day too.

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I need support too. Starting tomorrow...going from omnivore to vegan. I definitely see the benefits: health, animal rights, planet, etc. I also just completed the Certificate in Plant Based Nutrition through eCornell. Over the last year I've lost about 45 pounds, but I have about 30 more pounds to lose. I know my food addictions are strong - cheese, refined flour & sugar are big weaknesses.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I apologize for the delay in my reply. Been offline. Regarding Hoodia; It can make you feel full and satisfied. BUT I currently have Swanson brand. brands are not consistent!The first I'd had was from Walmart and very good. They stopped carrying that one, and the next didn't work. This one seems to be okay. It is just a crutch to use until you get your diet totally adjusted. But it helped me and now I need it again.
BTW - I gave those donuts to my husband. If it wasn't him it would have been the dog! Great garbage disposals!
Yesterday I didn't stick to the meal plan but did do vegetarian. It would have been Vegan if not for the cheese sauce on the broccoli that I topped my potato with. How's everyone else doing?

Jan

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM

janetgodard wrote:

Yesterday I didn't stick to the meal plan but did do vegetarian. It would have been Vegan if not for the cheese sauce on the broccoli that I topped my potato with. How's everyone else doing? [/color]
Jan

Do a search on the previous forums for the not cheese sauce (cashew butter, water, corn starch, and nutritional yeast plus a few other bits for flavoring) - works great on broccoli, potatoes, nachos, mac'n'cheese but is totally vegan. It's got nut butter so it's got a little fat in it but it's about 1 to 2 tbls (can't remember exactly) for the whole multi-serving batch.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM

janetgodard wrote:

Yesterday I didn't stick to the meal plan but did do vegetarian. It would have been Vegan if not for the cheese sauce on the broccoli that I topped my potato with. How's everyone else doing? [/color]
Jan

Do a search on the previous forums for the not cheese sauce (cashew butter, water, corn starch, and nutritional yeast plus a few other bits for flavoring) - works great on broccoli, potatoes, nachos, mac'n'cheese but is totally vegan. It's got nut butter so it's got a little fat in it but it's about 1 to 2 tbls (can't remember exactly) for the whole multi-serving batch.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

I think there are now 7 of us in this forum. I'm so glad that we have such a broad base of support for this Kickstart!

I had a great day one - and am now struggling with staying on track at my office. It's so much easier to follow a plan from home!

I brought stuff to make the zucchini sandwiches for lunch, some fruit, and will make some oatmeal for breakfast. Unfortunately, I have a board meeting this evening - and they always serve wine - I'm hoping my willpower is strong, but 3-6PM is generally a weak time for me. I heard once: "If a day was a month, 4PM would be PMS." So true for me!

I tried to get my blood drawn this morning, but there was a huge line at the lab. I really wanted to get a baseline - but can always use my lab work from last year - which showed me close to pre-diabetes and my highest cholesterol reading ever.

Congrats on giving away the donuts and thanks for the cheese sauce substitution suggestion. Cheese is such a weakness for me too!

I'm sending out positive thoughts and strength to all of you! Have a great day 2!

Edited 09/04/12 10:25 AM
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Are there non-drinking board members? In any group of more than a dozen adults, there's likely to be at least one person who doesn't consume alcohol (for a variety of reasons). Find that person (or those people) and stand/sit near them if possible. See if you can get a fruit juice spritzer (seltzer, not tonic or club soda) plus cranberry, pineapple, or orange juice (juices that are commonly available if there's a bar area). If there are choices as far as which wine to drink, ask the waiter/sommelier about the choices - some wines are organic and vegan, some aren't.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for pointing me toward non-dairy cheese. Found a great article here with lots of info:http://www.motherearthnews.com/relish/non-dairy-cheese-review.aspx Also found great recipes if I want to make my own.
Jan

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Congratulations to everyone's success so far, it's great to see that. I think forums like this are a great way to stay on track. Fortunately for me I do not have a sweet tooth. Desserts never tempt me. Stevia tastes funny. I only use agave in a recipe that needs a little sweetener to balance everything out. BUT I could eat cheese until my arteries all seized up! I found a great cheese sauce recipe this summer in Scott Jurek's book Eat and Run, called the Western States Cheese Spread or something similar. It's made with silken tofu and tahini, so it is a bit rich, but there is no oil or weird processed ingredients. It's well seasoned so that my sister declared it the best she ever tasted.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I spent most of the morning in the dentist's office having work done. My numb mouth helped in avoiding anything non-vegan. However, so far, I haven't truly been tempted.

Lunch was soup, and dinner will probably be cream of wheat or something else soft since I can't eat solid foods until tomorrow.

I understand about eating after work! I have been retired for four years. Before retirement, I never had a problem with nighttime eating because I was a teacher with many papers to grade nightly. Now, nighttime eating is my biggest problem. Last night, I got through it fine, and will again tonight!

Keep on being successful!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 886 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org