21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Looking for support
Created on: 09/03/12 09:45 AM Views: 22324 Replies: 97
RE: Looking for support
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Yes - I must plan ahead. The first couple days were easy because I made brown rice, the curry soup, bean paste etc. Tonight I plan to make some new staples to keep on hand. The baked chick peas sound really good as a snack.

I have a work luncheon today and called yesterday to request a vegan meal. They were very accommodating and now I can't wait to see what I get to have for lunch!

Unfortunately, I dropped my car off at the repair shop this morning and just got a call that I need a $1,200 repair. GULP! Oddly enough, no urge for chocolate whatsoever! Hooray!

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Determined wrote:

I agree with all of you. Planning ahead and having something cooked for the times when you are late and tired is so helpful. This program takes advanced planning - unless we learn some things we can do in a hurry. I feel better about food today when I made two meals last night that I can use for a few days.

The in-a-hurry times are when you need a base (bread, roll, tortilla, etc) and a topping (like hummus and pre-sliced veggies) or nut butter and good jam - nothing like that old go to sandwich for simple on the go meals (and readily vegan - who would ever really stop to think that good old PBJ is basically vegan!)

And, too, since this is a lifestyle change, not just a 3 week "diet plan", things do get easier over time. Learning to prepare dry beans was one of the harder things for us but now it's just routine to look at what we've got planned for the week (we write out a two week menu plan so I can efficiently do the grocery shopping - not etched in stone, things can shift days, but we know we've got the ingredients and can gauge prep time in advance and work out the schedule) and know which nights we need to put beans to soak before going to bed. Then hubby pulls out the pressure cooker first thing and starts that (cooking the beans) while he has his oatmeal for breakfast (pressure cooker/canner was one of our best investments!). They get popped into containers and refrigerated and we've got that ready before lunch even! (if he's cooking chickpeas, one portion of the still hot beans becomes hummus while the rest get stored for later use) We've always been "leftover eaters" so making extra for lunches was no big deal - and we generally plan a 'leftover day' for Saturday or Sunday (depending on our schedules) where we just eat up whatever is still in the fridge from the week to make space for the next round of meals/leftovers (Sundays are often pretty busy days for us so being able to just heat and eat is good)
--Deb R

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Welcome aboard Cuteddybears! We're glad you're here!

I am amazed that after only 3 days my sweet tooth is starting to subside. I know when I did atkins several years ago, after a week, I had no desire for sugar - so hopefully the same will be true for all of us - with sugar and cheese!

Stay strong girls! We can do this! kay

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Honningmelon wrote:

But I am TOP motivated, I am SO ready for this now!!!

Yaaay! GO KICKSTART! Smile

Happy thoughts from Nora in Norway Smile

Welcome! Being of Norwegian descent, I was extremely lucky to be able to travel there a number of years ago and see where my family came from (Sognenfjorden) and travel from Oslo all the way to Bodo and the Lofoten Islands. Fantastic country! Although an omnivore at the time, I was always afraid of the food since I'm allergic to fish. Good luck!

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Happy Day 4...although it is almost over. I am discovering that my appetite has lessened and that I go longer between meals before wanting food. I really had doubts that that would ever happen! Sweets have for years been my downfall. Lately, salty foods like crackers were my undoing.

At the supermarket today, I took time to read carefully all of the ingredient lists on anything I was buying. It's amazing the hidden animal products!

Eventually, my system will even get used to all the extra fiber, but for now, I'm pacing myself and adding it a bit at a time.

Have a great Day 5! We can do this!

Welcome, cuteteddybears and Nora and anyone else I may have missed!

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Happy Day 4...although it is almost over. I am discovering that my appetite has lessened and that I go longer between meals before wanting food. I really had doubts that that would ever happen! Sweets have for years been my downfall. Lately, salty foods like crackers were my undoing.

At the supermarket today, I took time to read carefully all of the ingredient lists on anything I was buying. It's amazing the hidden animal products!

Eventually, my system will even get used to all the extra fiber, but for now, I'm pacing myself and adding it a bit at a time.

Have a great Day 5! We can do this!

Welcome, cuteteddybears and Nora and anyone else I may have missed!

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

[quote="WalksWithDogs"] I am discovering that my appetite has lessened and that I go longer between meals before wanting food. I really had doubts that that would ever happen! [quote]

You go, girl! I am stunned how much less I am thinking about food too. And how much more productive I am. I wish I could understand why I am feeling so positive and strong - I can't tell you how many times I've fallen off the wagon before the end of the first day. But I just know that this is my new lifestyle - it feels so right.

I think the difference is that there are SO MANY great reasons to eat a plant based diet. Making my diet about something larger than myself has really made me stronger. I hope it's making you all stronger too. This forum has also made a difference. It's just great to think about all of you when I'm having a weak moment.

I hope everyone has a great evening and an even better DAY 5! I'm off to make some roasted chick peas and chili Smile Kay

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

In regards to "cheese" recipes, the latest issue of VegNews has an article on artisan vegan cheeses with recipes for 4 different cheeses to make.

I don't know what the view on vegan cheese is from dieticians (Lani can you help here?) I wonder if they may be seen as high fat and if they just contribute to high fat cravings (Are there such things?) and if it might just be better to be cold turkey off of cheese.

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Thanks for the great tips DebR and Kay!
Luckily BF eats whatever I cook, so he's happy to eat lots of veggies and he loves beans, so I am very lucky to have him Smile But tonight I'm making pizza! Regular pizza for step-daughter (age 6) and BF (he's craving), and for me... A recipe from my favorite vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli! This, just without all the oils. http://chefchloe.com/entrees/roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-pizza.html
I haven't tried this before, so I'm quite excited! Her Avocado Pesto Pasta is AMAZING, but it's full of olive oil and (obv) avocado's, so not suitable for our current diet :/ But amazing comfort food for another day and time! Wink

Dear Vegpedlr, that's so awesome! There's actually a TV-show here in Norway, huge success, I watch it every season, that is all about Norwegian-American's coming to Norway, discovering their roots and the winner in the end gets to meet their family in Norway and everything. Kinda reminds me of it! I work with incoming tourism, actually, and we do get quite a few Americans Wink Yeah, vegan food in Norway is tricky! Very slim pickings, only a few health food stores that carry what we need, and if you want a package of soy dogs, it's minimum 50 NOK, which is about $10, and the package has 9 sausages. I think that's quite a bit more than in the US, right? And I've tried getting my hands on some tofu, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. Gonna have to order online.
Anyway, Vegpedlr, I see you're at Bay Area? I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! Went to SF once in 2008... It was just AMAZING. One of my favorite holidays, just perfect. I've been wanting to go back ever since!

Edited 09/07/12 3:21 AM
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

[quote="Honningmelon"]Luckily BF eats whatever I cook, so he's happy to eat lots of veggies and he loves beans, so I am very lucky to have him Smile [quote]

I'm glad that you are appreciating your BF. My hubby is a strict meat is the entree man - he won't even eat leftovers - which kills me. Gratefully, he has taken my son out for dinner a couple of nights while I stay home and do my own thing. I miss having dinner with them, but am glad not to be cooking or tempted by things I can't have.

[quote="Honningmelon"] A recipe from my favorite vegan chef Chloe Coscarelli! This, just without all the oils. http://chefchloe.com/entrees/roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-pizza.html[quote]

Oh my gosh, that pizza sounds AMAZING! How was it? If you give it the thumbs up, I will definitely be making that this weekend!

I'm a bit nervous because I have a cocktail reception this evening - and then drinks and a dinner party on Saturday. I hate to admit that I read the Kickstart book a long time ago -and have not picked it up again. Is even one glass of wine allowed? Since I haven't seen it on any of the menus, I'm going to err on the side of caution and stick with water or club soda Smile

I'm very motivated. Down 5 pounds this morning! I know this pound-a-day rate of loss won't continue - but I've only worked in exercise one day this week - so I'm thrilled with the results. I'm hoping to get more execise in over the weekend.

Wishing you all a great Friday. Kay

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Guess it's early morning-time in the US now? I'm still at work, it's only half past one in the afternoon. So making pizza later tonight! I will defo let you know! I am quite excited Smile

I read the book recently, and what he says is that it's not forbidden. It says in the FAQ-section (I happen to have the book with me here at work!) that it's not restricted, but they limit it to one drink per day for women (two for men). Obv the healthiest thing is just not drinking anything! But it's not forbidden Smile

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Thank you, Nora. I may save one glass for tomorow evening at friend's birthday dinner. It makes me happy just to know that I am allowed one occassionally!

Yes, early morning here. Just getting ready to start a very long day. Glad yours is more than half-way through! I can't wait to hear your review of that pizza - and thank you for turning me onto the chef! Kay

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hello again!

So I made the vegan pizza! Well, not exactly... I couldn't find butternut squash (another rarity here in Norway), so I just piled on mushrooms, spinach, onion, courgette, corn, and soy dogs. I used my usual recipe for pizza dough which is basically just flour, yeast, water and a spoon of olive oil (it's Friday!), but I did use Chloe's recipe for white bean hummus, or purè, or whatever she called it. So I put the white bean thing on the dough, then some tomato sauce (plain with a bit of basil) and then veggies. Quite tasty!! I didn't feel deprived at all. The cheesy pizza looked tempting, but I stayed away. Very filling and good. Recommended as a DIY! See pics pre-cooking here https://twitter.com/honningmelon/status/244109647768846336/photo/1 and post-cooking here https://twitter.com/honningmelon/status/244124116163117057/photo/1.
Yummers!
At work now, "working" the night (read: get paid to sleep). Have a still wonderful Friday, guys! Smile

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Hello everyone! Wow! What a hectic week - glad it is Friday. I've been doing pretty well adn have dropped a couple of pounds! Yay! My problem is snacking in the evening. I found if I have a couple of dried dates stuffed with an almond my sweet craving goes away.
As far as yogurt goes, I found a soy one at Fred Myer made by So Delicious that is great. They have several flavors and you can go to their website and get coupons on any of their products.
Keep it up everyone. Happy weekend. Pam

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Hello everyone! Wow! What a hectic week - glad it is Friday. I've been doing pretty well adn have dropped a couple of pounds! Yay! My problem is snacking in the evening. I found if I have a couple of dried dates stuffed with an almond my sweet craving goes away.
As far as yogurt goes, I found a soy one at Fred Myer made by So Delicious that is great. They have several flavors and you can go to their website and get coupons on any of their products.
Keep it up everyone. Happy weekend. Pam

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM

?

Edited 09/07/12 9:09 PM
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Nora your pizza looked awesome. I hope you're sound asleep and getting paid for it - how does that work exactly?
Honningmelon wrote:

At work now, "working" the night (read: get paid to sleep).
(My husband used to work for an alarm company in D.C. He just had to make sure he heard the alarm.) But I imagine there are a lot less people with alarms in Norway.

Great job, Pam. I had an insane week too. Someone told me there was a blue moon over the weekend. I think it probably has more to do with the 4 day workweek. No matter the reason - I think we should be very proud of ourselves for staying on track when we are stressed! Go us!

I was run ragged till 5:30 and then had to go to a 'cocktail attire' event. It's way too hot for cocktail attire when you're 100 pounds overweight. I did break down and have one glass of wine. But ate some grilled veggies and a sliver of what I thought was vegan quesadilla. I think there may have been some cheese on it, but very little.

I actually got into a discussion about my reasons for being vegan - and after some fumbling, I wound up saying "I want to leave a smaller - and shallower - footprint." Sort of sums it all up Smile

My husband doesn't seem to like me much these days - so I'm glad I have this outlet for conversation. Tomorrow we will be going out together with 3 other couples. Hopefully we'll be in a better place by then.

Stay strong - only 16 days (and a healthy lifetime) to go! Kay

Edited 09/07/12 9:09 PM
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Hi All -
Hope everyone is having a great Saturday.
I love rading everyone's posts and your great - helpful ideas! My 2 cents on the preceding posts.

If I'm going out (like tonite) I will have a wine spritzer - 1/2 a glass of wine with a LaCroix. That way I can usually sneak in two drinks if I'm feeling deprived.
Nevertolate - I so agree about how hard it is to find the right the clothes! Going to a 50th b-day party. Have the outfit all set then get an email from the hosts saying its casual and wear comfy shoes its outside! ugh! Not what I was planning on.
I definitley need to stay away from nut butters - I think they thrigger more overeating for me.
I also stay away from the fake cheeses - can't find one I like that isnt highly processed and low in fat.
I did find at Whole Foods a veggie pizza - individual size. Whole Foods brand that had 1 gram of fat. It hit the spot last night.
I had a slow start but I am down 3lbs. thus far. Though I was already eating mostly vegan - but cutting out the oil and fat had helped (I hope).
Take care

Posted Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I was feeling like I had abandoned the group since I didn't post yesterday or all day today until now. Hmmmm....so where is everyone whom I abandoned? Are you having a good weekend?

It's been a very difficult weekend for my husband and me. We are having a crisis with my dog, a big Lab, and she is currently in the hospital. I'm tired and worried, but have stayed with vegan except for last night when I had two eggs and a little margarine on my toast. I was so exhausted that I didn't want to think about cooking anything. Choices have not been great, but not terribly bad.

I hope everyone returns quickly. If anyone has had difficulties sticking with the program, just jump back in! We are seeking excellence, not perfection!

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I was feeling the same! Feels like I haven't written in ages, and no one else has either.

Kay, it's kind of like a boarding school for teens with hearing impairment. Basically I just check who's there, and if the fire alarm goes off, I need to check it out and get the kids out, in case they don't hear the alarm. Pretty sweet gig, and the fire alarm hasn't gone off on my watch yet (worked there for like 4 years).

I went to my nan's on Saturday, with BF and his daughter. Nan's 89 years this year, and she is sooo fragile. She's got troubles doing basically everything. And when we got there, she had made waffles! Which probably took her all day! And I hadn't seen her in ages, and she'd worked so hard. So I had one piece of waffle. Norwegian waffles aren't like Belgian, one piece of waffle is like the size of half a toast, and it's not very thick either and not fried. But it does have eggs and milk in it. So there. BF ate extra to compensate, bless him!

But beside that I did whole last week vegan.
How did you guys do?

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 509 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org