21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Seitan
Created on: 09/03/12 10:34 AM Views: 2859 Replies: 17
Seitan
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I am looking for a meat replacement that tastes good to me. I've been reading a lot about Seitan. Has anyone ever tried it? Is it something you make or something you buy? Confused

RE: Seitan
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

This is the best thing I have ever tasted! I hope you are not gluten sensitive. I first found it on another site, but they took it down because there was an error in the quantities. I see that Oprah has fixed it! This is truly delicious.

http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-sunday/Seitan-Brisket-Recipe

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Seitan definitely has a chewy, meaty texture. You can buy seitan at the market. However, I know people who make it - a very inexpensive way to enjoy seitan. I personally do not have a recipe other than what I see when I Google it. Anyone have a favorite seitan recipe?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Here is a picture they had on planeat.tv when they had the recipe there:
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/130534089170246890_7ou9Vgys_f.jpg

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

oops, looks like they took the picture down too. try this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/130534089170246890/

I can buy Vital gluten flour in my little town, so it might be where you are too. Otherwise, it is the internet!

madeline yakimchuk

I can buy Vital gluten flour in my little town, so it might be where you are too. Otherwise, it is the internet!

madeline yakimchuk

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi All, You can find a variety of good recipes for seitan on You tube.I also watched a video for seitan on Delectable planet on their Website along with some of the recipes on this Septembers Kickstart.LOL

Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi All, You can find a variety of good recipes for seitan on You tube.I also watched a video for seitan on Delectable planet on their Website along with some of the recipes on this Septembers Kickstart.LOL

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM

you can make it or buy it. watch the ingredients - can have a lot of sodium and assorted other 'stuff' in some of the brands. Plus, it can get expensive to buy, so if you find you like it, check out those already listed resources to make your own. But, we've found that we prefer chopped mushrooms (portabellas for a really meat-like toothiness).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hello All, Deb R...Just got my Bean Stew on to simmer.It's looks and smells good.

I've made my own seitan with high vital gluten flour and I'm still experementing.That way I know exactly what goes into it. There are many alternative ways and ingredients and spices seem like a personal choice in the wet and dry mixture of ingredients.

I also love marinated portabellas and sometimes dehydrate them.

I'm saving all my veggie and fruit peelings on the 21 day kickstart for a small wild fox who comes to the garden each evening.I saw him/her yesterday in the moonlight on the porch.. very exciting!

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

we save our veggie peelings (with the exception of celery tops) to make soup stock. Hubby found that the celery tops made the stock more bitter than he liked so those stay out. Now that we're into Sept, he'll be making stock about once a month and freezing it in portion size containers because we do soup at least once a week, if not more often, when the weather is cool. Loved looking through the recipes this go-round because I didn't use the menus at all last kickstart and I see there are a bunch of new ideas since the last time I actually looked at the menus.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Debby at Happy Healthy long life has a recipe for a seitan brisket here http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2012/03/happy-st-patricks-day-how-about-a-seitan-reuben-sandwich.html

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Hi DebR

I like the idea of portion sized containers of stock.I've frozen stock before and veggie pulp and smoothie left overs in Ice cube trays to add to meals or smoothies.

I also made two days almond milk and soaked chickpeas and black beans overnight and cooked and portioned them for the freezer today.Both my hubby and I enjoy cooking and seeing how the recipes turn out.

We've called the young fox 'Kickstart'seems sorta appropriate seeing as he's or she's on the same diet with all the peelings and some left over treats.I'm expecting his/her health will surley improve!!!

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for seitan recipe Marge

I checked this link out when I saw you had posted it before.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Ashima wrote:

Hi DebR

I like the idea of portion sized containers of stock.I've frozen stock before and veggie pulp and smoothie left overs in Ice cube trays to add to meals or smoothies.

I also made two days almond milk and soaked chickpeas and black beans overnight and cooked and portioned them for the freezer today.Both my hubby and I enjoy cooking and seeing how the recipes turn out.

We've called the young fox 'Kickstart'seems sorta appropriate seeing as he's or she's on the same diet with all the peelings and some left over treats.I'm expecting his/her health will surley improve!!!

We generally do several days' worth of beans - last night put the black beans on to soak and they got cooked up this morning - tonight is nachos, we'll probably have beans and rice later in the week, etc. Last Friday was soaking chickpeas for several batches of hummus over the weekend plus a quinoa chickpea chard "pilaf" type dinner. Having cooked chickpeas around is a handy snack - I'll put 1/2 cup or so in a small bowl and sprinkle with just a bit of sea salt or kosher salt and munch them like peanuts.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hi DebR

I love Quinoa and also chick peas to snack on, cooked or baked. The Incas saw Quinoa as a sacred food and it's one of my favourite and most perfet sources of protiens.I'm thinking of having some for lunch with a raw tomato,garlic, red pepper and bazil marinade and salad which I really enjoy,instead of the blue corn chips.We're not big corn chip eaters and I couldn't find blue variety in Uk stores.Oh how I miss Whole foods in United States where we lived for several years.

It's 9:43 pm in Uk and The little fox has already been to eat his kickstart peelings. I heard the dogs bark and I've peeped outside and they're all gone.One happy little fella!!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I have the Veganomicon cookbook and there is a seitan recipe in there that is really good! Then I used this recipe to country fry it. Wink http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=816&catId=10

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 383 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org