21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Hospital served me a cheeseburger
Created on: 04/07/12 09:31 AM Views: 1803 Replies: 10
Hospital served me a cheeseburger
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I have been on a almost entire vegan diet for a year. Yet, in January, i had a heart attack (very much stress-induced). I had a cardiac cath, prior to which I had to fast, and when I was done, my lunch arrived. My cardiac lunch was a cheeseburger!!!!

I requested something else and got a feeble replacement. The dietary head was apologetic that I got the non-veg menu. But why would a cheeseburger be on the menu at all.

I was sent home with lots of good information about cardiac care and the nutrition info is straight out of the american heart association handbook. Any nutrition advice for a post heart attack vegan who would like to lose a few pounds? And would like to change the hospital menu?

RE: Hospital served me a cheeseburger
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I, too, get extremely frustrated when I see hospital menus. They fed my mother french fries in the emergency room WHILE she was suffering a stroke! We were trying to eat vegetarian while staying at the hospital with her that first few days, and it was nearly impossible. They didn't have any truly whole grain bread, healthy salad dressings, etc.

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My partner had a heart attack 4 months after we decided to go vegan. They rushed her to the cath lab right from the emergency room and told me they would come talk to me when the procedure was over. They were back so fast I only had time to call a few family members. Turns out her arteries were clean as whistle... her heart attack was also stress-induced. Something call Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, or "broken heart syndrome". Because she was already vegan and her arteries clear the doctors allowed her to have whatever she wanted but was always provided vegan options at every meal. The only dietary restriction she was given was to switch to decaf.

She still sticks to a vegan diet. She eats whatever she wants as long as it's vegan. The only thing *I* restrict in her diet is english muffins but only because she treats butter, even vegan butter, like a side dish.

We were very lucky in that the hospital we went to was very very good about what kind of meals they provided and what options were available to EVERY patient. The cafeteria for family and visitors was an entirely different matter however. They should have called it the Cholesterol Cafe.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM

If I ever end up in the hospital my husband will be bringing my food. I've had enough friends and family there, I've seen the food and I know I won't be eating it. Even the veggies are limp, cold and buried in some oily substance I'm sure isn't good. Yuck.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

To reach optimal health--for your heart and every part of your body--you need to do your research on why you should be eating a whole food vegan diet with no added oils. It takes a while to learn to cook without oils, but is very doable! (You should taste my caramelized onions, and--a recipe through PCRM--orange date cake.)
Please--those of you with heart disease--read Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. It is a life-saving book!
KarenR

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

KarenR wrote:

Please--those of you with heart disease--read Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. It is a life-saving book!
KarenR

Ditto what KarenR says, it is a great book.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I absolutely agree about Dr. Esselstyn's book and have it in my office for my patients to review while waiting - I am in Cardiology. The hospital where I work has a menu for each patient to order individually. It's not super high on great vegan choices, but does have a few. Much more work to do!

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Doesn't surprise me at all. My father in law had a heart attack and stents placed. His first meal was beef roast, potatoes, and gravy. I an a hospital RN ans one day a vegetarian patient was given a plate of microwaved Mac and cheese. Ugh.

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

JohnAengus wrote:

one day a vegetarian patient was given a plate of microwaved Mac and cheese. Ugh.

I headed this off at the hospital by ordering a vegetarian lunch with no dairy. The result? Mac and cheese.

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

JohnAengus wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all. My father in law had a heart attack and stents placed. His first meal was beef roast, potatoes, and gravy. I an a hospital RN ans one day a vegetarian patient was given a plate of microwaved Mac and cheese. Ugh.

I think the thinking in hospitals, for cardiac patients, is to "build them up" and that means "good red meat" (lean) for protein and iron. I know that my mom always gets served meat and potatoes type meals when she's in the hospital (long time heart patient). She gets to choose to some extent (a menu with three entree choices per meal) so she often picks poultry when she can, but still...

And I saw a report on the news from a dietician type person that an eating plan that includes 4 oz per day of lean red meat is helpful in reducing cholesterol! The rest of the report was as expected (broccoli, small amounts of dark chocolate, etc) but that really threw me for a loop.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I was in the hospital for 7 months straight because I was diagnosed with cancer at 14 in 2005.

I barely ate the hospital food because it was dreadful.
My mom used to bring me food.

My goal was to become a chef and attend the culinary institute of america and change the cafeteria menu at the hospital.
I attended the CIA but never finished because of health reasons. Even though, I couldn't complete my goal I still wish to change the cafeteria food.

It is embarrassing what they serve at the hospital. I know the CIA now has a program where they are training chefs to make better menus for the hospital.

One day, it will change!

Edited 04/10/12 3:08 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 78 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: pineportal

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org