21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Advice on Cooking Pancakes
Created on: 04/07/12 10:07 AM Views: 684 Replies: 3
Advice on Cooking Pancakes
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I am a terrible cook! I just tried making pancakes and they are doughy inside. If I cooked them any longer they would have burned on the surface. Does anyone have an idea on what I could have done wrong? I followed the amounts in the recipe exactly. Cooking is very frustrating for me. I just spent 45 minutes in the kitchen only to dump the stuff in the trash! Sad

RE: Advice on Cooking Pancakes
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

lower the heat. I have been cooking for more than fifty years and sometimes will do the same thing when i am in too much of a hurry. Relax and just lower the heat. Flip a drop of water on your cook surface to test the temperature. If is sizzles, the surface is hot enough. Too hot will burn the pancakes outside while the inside is still raw. Also, if you are using non wheat flours that are sometimes more finely ground, you have to lower the heat. (oat, rice, quinoa, etc)

Janeoverton

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Strange as they worked fine for me. As a matter of fact I shared the recipe on facebook and on our local vegetarian forum because I was so pleased. Do you have experience with pancakes? If not, that could be it.

You need lower temperature so the pancake can cook before it burns... or, you need a better frying pan, or both.

I have tried every pancake recipe I have come across since turning vegan, always to be disappointed, but this recipe worked. I love it.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for your advice! I'll try again tomorrow with lower heat.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 519 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org