21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Wedding Reception
Created on: 01/30/13 03:42 PM Views: 747 Replies: 5
Wedding Reception
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This post should be more fun & less serious than most. My daughter is getting married in April. In addition to me, there will be others invited to the wedding & reception who are vegans or vegetarians. Please help me with suggestions for foods to serve at the reception! There won't be a meal served, rather "nibbly" foods. We live in South Carolina so I'll be able to get beautiful fresh strawberries at the farmer's market. Strawberries and a big tray of fresh raw veggies for dipping in hummus, and I'm out of ideas. The punch is going to be white grape juice with ginger ale. Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Jennifer

RE: Wedding Reception
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM

cake? there are really yummy and decadent cake options that are vegan - start looking for either a good recipe or (less stress for you) a good vegan bakery (or a baker who is familiar with vegan baking). They do exist. A couple years ago, we had vegan cupcakes for son's birthday (his choice - we knew someone who was starting a vegan cupcake catering business). They were awesome! Even the non-vegans in the family (most of the folks at the part) just were in awe of the amazing moist rich cupcakes and frosting (chocolate cupcakes, chocolate frosting, peanut butter filling!)

Try some crostini or bruschetta with different toppings - toppings can range from vegan (olive tapenade for example) to vegetarian (goat cheese and walnuts) to omni (smoked salmon). Really simple in concept, finger foods, but very chic too. Toppings can include sliced or chopped fresh veggies (whatever is local and in season for you). You can also use different types of bread for the base (typically it's a crusty Italian type but it can be other things as well).

Oh, and veggie and fruit kebabs - skewer chunks of fresh fruit (whatever you like, pineapple, grapes, berries, etc) or fresh veggies (mushrooms, grape tomato, olives, cucumbers, etc).

--DebR

Edited 01/30/13 4:00 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Perhaps there is a way to find out what was on the menu for other vegan weddings, such as Chelsea Clinton's or Ellen Degeneres'!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

All I've been able to find about food served at Ellen Degeneres' wedding is their cake was a "green" red velvet vegan cake. As for Chelsea Clinton's wedding, it was disappointing. Her guests were served either grass-fed beef short ribs or grilled Atlantic char. Neither my daughter or her fiance are vegan, but they have agreed to include some vegan options at the reception.

Jennifer

Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM

My hubby suggested stuffed portabello mushrooms - panko crumbs, chop up the mushroom stems, some kalamata olives, a little veg stock if needed to hold it together, and herbs/seasonings. Then bake until warmed through. The baby bellas would be more like bite sized morsels than the big ones but either would work.

--DebR

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My daughter had a vegan (with a few vegetarian options) wedding a few years ago. Spring rolls with a dipping sauce were popular. There are lots of other vegan hors d'oeuvres out there. Colleen Patrick Goudreau's cookbook for entertaining - The Vegan Table - has a whole chapter of Buffets, Heavy Appetizers, and Finger Foods and her recipes are awewome!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 473 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org