21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: List of additives to avoid!
Created on: 04/07/12 08:00 PM Views: 1445 Replies: 8
List of additives to avoid!
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Hi all,

I thought this might help anyone who's still new and learning about vegan diet/lifestyle, as I am. This resource is good, even though I'm not Jewish but I'm Hindu (my parents are from India) so, the good thing is we already are vegetarian. For me the only thing I need to learn is stop the dairy!

http://www.theisraelofgodrc.com/FoodAdditivesList.html

Also, not sure if anyone else subscribes to Care2.com, but I like to read their articles. This was so horrifying to me. I've never had this drink, but thank goodness I never will now! even if it had soy!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/crushed-insects-dye-starbucks-frappuccinos.html

RE: List of additives to avoid!
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Cochineal extract or as it is also known, natural red #4 has been used extensively to color everything from yogurt to jello to jam to soda and hundreds of other foods for many years. After the use of artificial red dyes in food went out of favor, cochineal extract made a huge resurgance. It's is also listed as carmine. You can be pretty sure you've been eating it since the 70's in pretty much anything (processed) colored pink or red.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Cysteine. L form.An Amino Acid from human hair (sometimes from deceased women) or horsehair. Makes a person think twice before eating baked goods Exclamation
Unbeliable

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM

You really have to wonder who was the scientist who got up one morning and said, "I wonder if human hair will make bread dough a better consistency?" Or "Let's try putting these beetles into strawberry ice cream to make it pink." Where in the world do they come up with these ideas? And why? And do they eat it? Feed it to their kids? Is there anything they won't put in food?

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Wild4Stars wrote:

You really have to wonder who was the scientist who got up one morning and said, "I wonder if human hair will make bread dough a better consistency?" Or "Let's try putting these beetles into strawberry ice cream to make it pink." Where in the world do they come up with these ideas? And why? And do they eat it? Feed it to their kids? Is there anything they won't put in food?

A retorical question but I am answering anyway. Short answer is no - there is nothing "they" (big corporations, processed food makers) wont put in our food if it can make a dollar. So we dont just read labels to make sure that the product is vegan but to see what else is there. The less processed the food the better.

Just as tricky I was reading labels for commercial frozen fries in the supermarket yesterday comparing brands and found that all but one brand adds sugar in some form (listed as sucrose, destrose etc). Only one brand had potatoes as the only ingredient. Why would you need to add sugar to french fries except to encourage people to eat more, in order to sell more. Its not done for health reasons Exclamation

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 04/08/12 5:58 AM
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM

You're so right about the money aspect. We should always remember that we vote with our dollars. If people quit buying it, they will quit making it.

I refuse to be a guinea pig for the chemical companies.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I think the bottom line is going back to avoidance of all things processed! If I make it I know what is in it, nothing hidden.

As far as crushed beetles for coloring, I don't like this idea one little bit. However, if that is one choice and the other would be some freaky chemical invented in a lab somewhere... I am not sure. So? I try to avoid all things processed. (too repetative?)

That said, do I always succeed? Nope. But each year I get better, to the point some of the items mentioned above are invisible to me when I shop. They are not something I would buy and truly I rarely notice them. It helps I shop mostly at co-ops and when at Safeway pretty nearly only the produce section.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 04/08/12 11:54 AM
Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

kiwi wrote:

Wild4Stars wrote:

A retorical question but I am answering anyway. Short answer is no - there is nothing "they" (big corporations, processed food makers) wont put in our food if it can make a dollar. So we dont just read labels to make sure that the product is vegan but to see what else is there. The less processed the food the better.

Just as tricky I was reading labels for commercial frozen fries in the supermarket yesterday comparing brands and found that all but one brand adds sugar in some form (listed as sucrose, destrose etc). Only one brand had potatoes as the only ingredient. Why would you need to add sugar to french fries except to encourage people to eat more, in order to sell more. Its not done for health reasons Exclamation

Dipping the fries in sugar water before freezing gives them a better 'golden brown' color when they are baked (thus avoiding having to fry them for that color).

Using things like beetles for colorings (albeit not in food products most likely) goes back millenia to things like paints and cosmetics.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Thanks Deb - I never knew about the sugar and color of fries. It makes sense as the brand without the sugar are a slightly different color - not bad looking but slightly more yellow than the tanned fry look of the ones with sugar. The brand without sugar is also cheaper probably due to less processing. We are never too old to learn!

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 04/09/12 4:56 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 296 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org