21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Is there a vegan-source EPA?
Created on: 04/07/12 08:07 PM Views: 1197 Replies: 8
Is there a vegan-source EPA?
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 8:07 PM

My Naturopath has asked me to make sure that I'm supplementing with EPA but I checked my Vegetarian Omega 3 and discovered that it has no EPA. I phoned my local organic store and asked about other brands. There were none that were vegan and contained EPA. They concluded that EPA can only be obtained from animal sources. Is this true?

Anne

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that he didn't trust me so much." -- Mother Teresa

RE: Is there a vegan-source EPA?
Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Wikipedia says the fish get it from the algae and that there are algae sources for humans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosapentaenoic_acid

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

You can absolutely buy vegan EPA/DHA. V-Pure is one brand, but I know there are others. Your local store may not carry these brands, but you could ask them to or order them yourself on line.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Susan! Very Happy

Anne

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that he didn't trust me so much." -- Mother Teresa

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

And thanks Madeline! Very Happy

Anne

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I went searching for a vegan DHA supplement recently and my neighbourhood health food store supplied one--NutraVege. On researching the ingredient list later at home, I found some information on one ingredient that prompted me to dispose of the supplement and abandon the idea. It was called "echium oil". It is derived from a species of plant that is highly toxic (cancer causing). I imagine the processing eliminates that risk, but simply would not choose to add such a supplement to my diet. I was very troubled by that experience and will be attempting to meet my nutritional needs from food, not supplements. I am not certain whether my response is justified, but really, does a health-conscious consumer truly wish to consume something that in its original form causes liver tumours??? I noticed this product, like many others, is marketed through sampling among mommy bloggers, who are feeding it to their families. These moms may not have done any research on the ingredient list. I only regret that I consumed two doses before doing my homework.

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

http://www.mybiopharmacy.com/Products/NanOmega3/Overview

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Thanks catbear. There is a wealth of info on this site. I have saved it for future reference.

Anne

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Sure thing, here's one more:
http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/supplements.aspx#DHA

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 452 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org