21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Reasons for joining?
Created on: 09/04/12 10:34 AM Views: 5106 Replies: 38
Reasons for joining?
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I'm here because I've been reading a lot about how to improve my health and lose weight with a vegan diet. But philosophicaly, I don't really fit the definition of vegan - while I am very concerned with the environment and with animals being treated humanely, these are not my overiding concerns right now.

I'm a mom of 3 and have to cater to 5 different diets in my house. (A teen daughter who is vegetarian, a teen son who eats everything, a toddler who needs toddler friendly food and a husband who only eats vegetables when cajoled and only 2 or 3 types at taht). When I buy meat and dairy, I always buy organic and cruelty free as much as possible. I've been introducing my kids to soy and almond milk and vegan breads, which has gone over really well. My daughter snarfs a chocolate soy milk at least twice a day. She was the only one who drank milk here anyway. I may be able to do more eventually -- even hopefully with my husband. But as far as this diet, I'm on my own for the time being. So, I was wondering if anyone else is here for reasons like mine-- more weight loss than anything else.

RE: Reasons for joining?
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The Kickstart was designed to improve people's health. Judging by our surveys, I think it's safe to say most people join for that reason. Even if people partake because their motivation lies primarily with the well-being of the planet or animals, so be it. One of the greatest aspects of a healthful vegan diet is how there are no down sides, no matter how you look at it.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Hello JavaGen

I'm here as a Vegan, although many of my friends and original family are not veggie or vegan with exception of my son and husband.

Sounds like you're making a lot of positive changes already.

Bannana,strawberry with almond milk smoothies in the blender are a delicious treat for kids.LOL on your journey

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

hi! JavaGen... I have what a jokingly refer to as a mixed marriage..my husband is not a vegan, although he'll eat what I cook and he cooks vegan for me. I did my first kickstart in 2010, I still have leather shoes & belts, and I'm not an animalrights activist, although I'm disgusted by the factory farms in the USA. like you I wanted a better outcome health wise.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Ashima wrote:

Bannana,strawberry with almond milk smoothies in the blender are a delicious treat for kids.

That sounds great! I bet that would be a big hit before school.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Thanks Susan and Marge.

It's good to know that there's others who are going through something similar.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I forgot to mention Frozen Bananas and strawberrys in the smoothie.

I freeze two banana's broken into small pieces in a bag and handful of strawberrys and whisk them in my blender with almond milk for breakfast.With less milk you can get a yummie thick substitute ice cream and top with berry sauce.It's very good. Both my hubby and I love it and it's great for kids treats.You can also just wisk frozen bananas with milk and vanilla and that's good

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I stopped eating meat, eggs, and dairy for health reasons, after listening to an audiobook of The China Study. Listening to it literally changed my life.

While I was listening to the audiobook, I got an email from PCRM about the January Kickstart this year. An odd coincidence. I don't know why I got it. I doubt I would have paid any attention to the email, just deleted it, at any other time. So my start date to remove those foods from my diet became the Kickstart date, January 2nd.

Although I love animals, I hadn't thought of stopping eating meat before the China Study and the Kickstart. I always thought fish was a health food and was upset with myself for not eating it more often. I have osteoporosis and thought I didn't drink enough milk. I didn't know about the appalling farm conditions.

When I felt myself start to be tempted to go back to my old ways of eating, I'd buy another DVD to help motivate me to stay on track. Some of those DVDs showed me things I hadn't known about factory farming, both the cruelty to animals and the harm to the planet. Now I have three reasons not to go back.

Although I am not usually tempted, in the last week I thought I could just kill for a tuna sandwich. So I got out The China Study and listened again. And love that there is now another Kickstart to remind me why a temptation isn't worth giving in to.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I forgot to mention Frozen Bananas and strawberrys in the smoothie.

I freeze two banana's broken into small pieces in a bag and handful of strawberrys and whisk them in my blender with almond milk for breakfast.With less milk you can get a yummie thick substitute ice cream and top with berry sauce.It's very good. Both my hubby and I love it and it's great for kids treats.You can also just wisk frozen bananas with milk and vanilla and that's good

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I'm here for the forum.
Seriously, it's a whole lot easier to do this if you know that there are others doing it with you. I found out about it yesterday in an email from my sister who is doing it with a friend concerend about diabetes issues. I decided to come along as well, since I have slipped up a bit with the stress of school starting. So I want to see if I can learn something new or even just have some fun. Good luck everyone!

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

slt wrote:

Although I am not usually tempted, in the last week I thought I could just kill for a tuna sandwich.

Chickpeas make a great tuna salad sub - cold chickpeas (hot chickpeas are for hummus, cold is for salad) whirred in food pro for just a couple pulses to break them up coarsely; mix your fav tuna salad stuff in (chopped veg, mustard, pickle relish, whatever) and you've got what we call at our house "nottuna" - and we;ve had many non-veg friends eat it and not realize it wasn't actual tuna salad Laughing

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Thanks, Bugsmom.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Welcome Sit and Vegpedir.

There are many helpful and supportive people on Kickstart all stepping forward to change their lives in a more positive way.It's good your here.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I have loved reading about everyone's experiences and reasons for joining the kickstart. I have been slowly decreasing the amount of meat in our diet for the past few years for health reasons. My mom had her first heart attack at age 66 and her sister a stroke at about the same. My cholesterol and blood pressure are both a little high and I don't want history to repeat itself. I bought the book this summer and have been mostly vegan since July 9th. My blood pressure has improved quite a bit and I will probably have my cholesterol checked before long. I'm in a "mixed marriage," too Smile My husband doesn't complain about the food I fix, but I occasionally fix him some meat to keep him happy! I didn't mean to write a novel, sorry.

Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wow. Very cool. Thanks for all the tips.

Deb-- that's not a novel! I really appreciate hearing about what everyone is doing here. From the "other side" veganism can seem a bit extreme... so it's good to know that it's not really. Smile

I will be going in for a complete work up in another week or so. It's been over 3 years now since I've done that. I had a baby later in life-- I was 43 and well, I'm overdue to see my general physician. It's crazy that I make sure my kids are safe and get to the doctor on time, but I haven't been taking care of myself.

Edited 09/04/12 11:09 PM
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I joined for improved health, lower my high cholesterol, weight loss, and generally start taking better care of myself (at 61). I helped my youngest daughter move a few days ago, and felt so awful in the afternoon I was considering asking her to get me to a hospital. Think I was dehydrated, but thankfully she had an electrolyte drink on hand. It scared me into action, so that is good.

I've started a "food diary" where I can enter everything I eat and drink (how many glasses of water, etc.), and if I get a walk in.

I'm feeling overwhelmed by recipes and cooking right now, just having to step outside my quick/easy comfort zone, I expect. In addition to the menus/recipes here, I'll dig out the three or four vegan cookbooks I have. Also joined the Low Fat Vegan yahoo group, so enough dishes to try the rest of my life. Only myself to cook for at this point, to will need to scale things down at times.

Tomorrow I'll get myself to a natural foods store to stock up my pantry with many of the items on the grocery lists. Life is good. ~Jan Z.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Morning Jzindel

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Morning All and DebR

I also love peoples journeys and also your novel story DebR. Keep on writing them. There good for the soul.So heres part of my novel:...Confessions of a Vegan

I made the decision to become Vegan (Prefer plant-based,it carrys less baggage) before my husband although We'd been vegetarian for many years and it was difficult at first for him to transition away from the traditional taste of dairy,especially the taste and texture of cheese and eggs.Even though we'd replaced eggs and milk with soy long ago on our vegetarian journey's.I found myself rethinking animal production and produce and considering the idea of how we are socialized into particular flavours,tastes and textures by particular cultures,traditions and ideologys and we found ourselves with changing and different points of view. Oh No I had turned into one of those dreaded Vegans.It was like a culture shock at first when I just Awakened one day and became Vegan because I changed my whole mind set suddenly.I was a little lost and felt like a student again having to learn how to cook or boil an egg and oh my goodness what was I ever going to eat or even cook,all of the delicious vegetarian recipes I had been making over the years for friends and family had eggs which I substituted with tofu or egg replacer anyway, but what about that delicious Cheese. It was the ingredient that always made food taste good.I had to consider cheese to be as much of a poision as We'd considered sugars to be earlier and everything would have to be revised.It felt like I could nolonger cook food and every thing was going to taste bland and what about eating out. I would be that person who the average perception is of a strange,long haired activist Vegan in the corner.I knew that it unfortunately carried a lot of baggage and extreemism but through my education and life experiences I had become very open minded and could holistically accept many alternative perspective and now I had changed my perseption and so here I am just another one of those human beings and Plant-based eaters chatting on 21 day Kickstart with other good people on there own and similar journeys through what we call life. Nameste

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

jzindel wrote:

I'm feeling overwhelmed by recipes and cooking right now, just having to step outside my quick/easy comfort zone, I expect. In addition to the menus/recipes here, I'll dig out the three or four vegan cookbooks I have. ~Jan Z.

That's one of the things that we've come to actually love about this way of eating - it's actually really quick and easy once you learn a few techniques. Learn how to prepare dry beans, learn how to prepare grains (rice, quinoa, etc), learn which things can sub for other things (chard, kale, spinach, etc can be used pretty much interchangeably), learn the spice rack - what do they smell like, taste like, pair well with, etc. Once you have those basics down, you can put together low fat tasty vegan meals pretty quickly with whatever is on hand. To paraphrase the old "give a man a fish" adage, if you learn a recipe, you can make one dish; if you learn a technique, you can make hundreds.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

It is hard at my age to relearn how to cook. I'm so used to just heading to the store, picking up certain items I know I can make into meals and then heading home. I've done it for years and years. Now, I have to really sit down and plan what I'm going to buy for myself and the rest of my family and learn new recipes.

And this is very hard to do when you are a busy mom. But I'm trying.

Edited 09/05/12 9:56 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 365 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org