21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Autoimmune disease and animal protein
Created on: 04/08/12 11:41 AM Views: 992 Replies: 1
Autoimmune disease and animal protein
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Hi.

I know some scientists clame that there is a connection between consumtion of animal proteins and autoimmune diseases, and I have read some scientific papers on this, however, I've only found short-time studies. I have also heard from reumatologists that a drastic change in diet can give a similar effect on the diseases as antibiotics and chemo, witch also helps because the natural flora in our intestines will be changed in all cases.

I would therefore like to know if anyone here knows about any long time studies (lasting more than 3 months, so that the micro-flora in the intestines is stable again) on autoimmune diseases and animal products?

RE: Autoimmune disease and animal protein
Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Well, there is considerable evidence behind cow's milk and type 1 diabetes, an auto-immune disease. But it would be hard to do a long-term study on something that triggers the disease, especially a disease that happens in infancy and childhood.

But perhaps you mean looking at dietary habits among people who already have autoimmune diseases. If so, there are many studies referenced on these two pages for arthritis and MS. You could look to see the length of them with a little Google or Pubmed.com research. Other disease-states can be found on NutritionMD.org. Look at the Health Care Provider's section to see the studies referenced.

http://www.nutritionmd.org/health_care_providers/bone_joint_diseases/arthritis_nutrition.html

http://www.nutritionmd.org/health_care_providers/neurology/ms_nutrition.html

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 467 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org