21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Pastured vs conventional eggs
Created on: 10/07/13 11:26 AM Views: 658 Replies: 3
Pastured vs conventional eggs
Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I would be interested in some discussion revolving around the nutritional content of the pastured, organic hen's egg vs the conventionally mass produced egg. Is there any room for this B12 and D food source instead of taking supplements in an otherwise whole plant based diet for health?

RE: Pastured vs conventional eggs
Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

According to the Institute of Medicine (IOM - the research arm for dietary recommendations), there is no reliable dietary source of vitamin D. You have to get this nutrient through supplementation or the natural way, through sunshine. Supplemented products include plant-milks and processed grain products, like cereals. And of course there are supplement pills.

B12 is also something you need to supplement after the age of 50, according to the IOM. This is because we don't digest what we are consuming, regardless of the source.

So, for a lot of reasons, I do not recommend consuming any chicken's eggs. But to get B12 and/or D, it isn't recommended.

I hope this helps!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I look forward to reading more about IOM, thank you for your answer and your reference.

Is there a database that you are aware of that lists Internists and Pediatricians who are not hostile to the idea of a vegan or predominantly plant based diet? My daughter's pediatrician and I mutually fired each other after my daughter indicated that she does not drink any milk. My husband is struggling with a weight problem and, as with my girls, I would like to see us develop a relationship with a physician who is going to support rather than undermine our efforts.

Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

PCRM does not have a physician referral system. However, if you go to EatRight.org, you can find a dietitian directory. You can do a search for an RD in the area who caters to vegan/vegetarian diets. Perhaps that RD can even make an MD recommendation. Also, you may want to consider seeking out a local vegetarian or vegan group that could have some connections to like-minded physicians in your area.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 111 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org