21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Nutritional Yeast
Created on: 10/07/13 04:06 PM Views: 1874 Replies: 9
Nutritional Yeast
Posted Monday, October 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I have been using KAL brand Nutritional Yeast flakes. I understand nutritional yeast to be a great addition to a vegan diet. Recently I ran out and picked up a new container. On top of the container is a sticker that reads "This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm". I called the company and they explained that there is naturally occurring lead in nutritional yeast. I had no idea !!!! They say that it is less then 3 parts per million and that this is very low. Thoughts?

RE: Nutritional Yeast
Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I wish I knew more about California's Prop 65 law. From the internet, I found the following:

For chemicals that are listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm, the “no observable effect level” is determined by identifying the level of exposure that has been shown to not pose any harm to humans or laboratory animals. Proposition 65 then requires this “no observable effect level” to be divided by 1,000 in order to provide an ample margin of safety. Businesses subject to Proposition 65 are required to provide a warning if they cause exposures to chemicals listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm that exceed 1/1000th of the “no observable effect level.”

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Thanks Susan ! Based on the 3 parts per million do you feel it is still safe to eat ? Based on how the company responded that it occurs naturally I am guessing all brands of nutritional yeast contain some lead. Do you recommend nutritional yeast as a good addition to plant based eating ? Thanks !

Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I still would recommend the brands with supplemented B12. If I hear anything that makes me worry, I will certainly post that epiphany to the listserv. Thank you for putting this on my radar!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Thank-you so much !!!

Posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

And thanks for this resource. I am so appreciative !

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM

This is interesting information about nutritional yeast. I'm happy to have found this entire forum.

LaurenV
ediblemusings.com

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM

This is interesting information about nutritional yeast. I'm happy to have found this entire forum.

LaurenV
ediblemusings.com

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

LaurenV
ediblemusings.com

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

LaurenV
ediblemusings.com

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 109 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org