21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Who's diabetic?
Created on: 09/05/12 06:04 AM Views: 1012 Replies: 7
Who's diabetic?
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Hi, I'm insulin dependent diabetic. I was wondering if there are others here? With my improved diet I'm having to change my insulin doses. Yesterday, although I ate, my after dinner reading dropped to 74. This morning I decreased my doses, hoping it won't happen again. Anyone else out there looking for support with this problem?
Jan

RE: Who's diabetic?
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Great news! You are wise to keep looking at your levels. Your situation is not uncommon.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Type 2 diabetic, not insulin dependent. There are many diabetics here. One of the hardest things starting out was getting used to not 'counting carbs' and at the same time making sure to get enough to not get too low - some of the meals are glycemically 'light' despite being plenty of food, that I have to plan on a snack, especially if I'm also getting in my exercise after dinner.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic. Since becoming vegan a little over a month ago, he has had to adjust his insulin injections. BUT...he has not had any crashes at all. His blood sugar will drop rapidly, but not so fast that he feels he has to eat and keep eating. He can feel it dropping, but much slower. He can eat a small salad or a couple of fruit with a small spoon of peanut butter and is back to normal.

Ramona

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

This is really good to know. My dad is diabetic but not yet dependent on insulin. HIS dad is dependent on insulin though. I'm doing this to lower my risk of getting diabetes as, obviously, it runs in the family but I'd also eventually like to get my parents to try. I know they'll be very against such a big diet change out of fear for my dad's health and because my mom will have no idea what to make for dinner. I'd like to be the example and also know some recipes and know some people who have experience with being a vegan and having diabetes. Maybe as the 21 days goes on, anyone with diabetes can keep us updated on their health, their sugar levels, how they feel, the amount of insulin or food they are needing to stabilize blood sugar, etc? Just things you would want to know if you were planning a major diet overhaul while dealing with diabetes.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

This is really good to know. My dad is diabetic but not yet dependent on insulin. HIS dad is dependent on insulin though. I'm doing this to lower my risk of getting diabetes as, obviously, it runs in the family but I'd also eventually like to get my parents to try. I know they'll be very against such a big diet change out of fear for my dad's health and because my mom will have no idea what to make for dinner. I'd like to be the example and also know some recipes and know some people who have experience with being a vegan and having diabetes. Maybe as the 21 days goes on, anyone with diabetes can keep us updated on their health, their sugar levels, how they feel, the amount of insulin or food they are needing to stabilize blood sugar, etc? Just things you would want to know if you were planning a major diet overhaul while dealing with diabetes.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Thanx everyone. I will keep you up to speed with my progress. This morning I cut back 5 units of insulin, in order to not bottom out again. I usually take the insulin three times a day, before each meal. So today I skipped the middle dose and all is well. The proof that I did it right will be morning reading tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Jan

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This morning's reading was 113, which is great! Made a big eggplant, mushroom, spinach casserole for my lunches this week. The recipe calls it spinach lasagna. It is really good.
Jan

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 168 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org