21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Control
Created on: 09/05/12 09:00 AM Views: 1632 Replies: 15
Control
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This is my first time EVER going vegan. I have tried going vegan before and found out I dont have very much self control. Day one and two went by in a blink of an eye. Day three I find myself having second thoughts. No cravings yet. Just wanted to know if anybody is struggling so far or if they know how long it will take until the habit of this diet starts to kick in.

RE: Control
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It takes 21 days! There is science behind that. It takes less for your taste buds to change, but a new habit is a 21 day thing.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I completely understand how you are feeling. I had no problem getting through day one or two - but this morning, I was really missing my chocolate! I felt crappy - much like I did years ago on my 3rd day of the Atkin's Diet. (Ironic huh?) I know with Atkin's, once I got through that transition, I felt great - and I'm certain that if we can make it through the first week of the Kickstart, we will feel even better!

I'm just going to stick to the plan and push through my cravings. I've allowed my cravings and bad habits to run my life for way too long. (About 100 pounds long!) I'm certain that we will feel better by day 6. Hang in there - and if you'd like more support, please join us on the "Looking for Support" forum anytime! Be strong!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

The key is to plan and prepare - that's why having the menu plan, recipes, snacks, shopping list is so good. Have snacks that you know are good options (fruit, cut up veggies, hummus, good whole grain crackers, etc) so when you go to grab something, your easiest option is to grab something that's good.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I always have chocolate on hand - I found some decent vegan bittersweet/semi sweet morsels at the grocery store (they are made in a plant that also makes things with dairy, so there's the usual "may have been cross contaminated" labelling but there is no dairy in the actual product). Just a small amount of those (like 1 tbl) is enough for me to feel like I've had enough chocolate without going overboard and gorging the first chance I get. I actually PLAN for it in my day - sometimes I plan for it and don't really want it, and that's fine, I skip it if I don't want it. But if it's not planned for, I start to want it to the point I'll grab the first thing I can get, just because it's there.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I make a batch of Fudge Dip from Lindsay S. Nixon's Everyday Happy Herbivore book on page 260. I put 2 tablespoons in each baggy and freeze them. I take one with me during the day in a plastic lunch bag with a mini ice-pack and when I get a chocolate craving I eat the fudge dip and its so delicious. Its made from 1 can of cannellini beans, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, 2 tbsp of agave nectar(sometimes I use dates), and a splash of nondairy milk. There is no fat and its very satisfying.

Edited 09/05/12 5:12 PM
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I know how you feel - I usually would stop in the past because of my 'weakness' i think we all have them! I mean, those things that we really enjoy and have a hard time stopping.

I think I'm finally giving this a sincere, honest attempt because I don't like this feeling of addiction to the dairy (that's my main problem) and I realize it's not really dairy I want, but the sugar/cream taste of the dairy. I realize I can get the satisfaction of sugar in natural ways, like fruits, and cream in other ways like maybe hummus.

Don't give up - we can do it! Very Happy

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I know how you feel - I usually would stop in the past because of my 'weakness' i think we all have them! I mean, those things that we really enjoy and have a hard time stopping.

I think I'm finally giving this a sincere, honest attempt because I don't like this feeling of addiction to the dairy (that's my main problem) and I realize it's not really dairy I want, but the sugar/cream taste of the dairy. I realize I can get the satisfaction of sugar in natural ways, like fruits, and cream in other ways like maybe hummus.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

cuteddybears wrote:

That's it! When there's something you "must" have, thinking through the why of it and then finding vegan ways to get that (whether it's sweet fruits or a spoonful of nut butter occasionally for the creamy smooth texture - not too much, it is higher in fat). Even something like mashed avocado (which has some fat to it) makes a lovely creamy texture.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I am having a terrible time today. I didn't sleep well. I've had 2 little debbi oatmeal rounds (the big ones)...and about 5 nature valley granola w/peanut butter squares. HELP!What do you all do when you have this problem?

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM

samculb wrote:

I am having a terrible time today. I didn't sleep well. I've had 2 little debbi oatmeal rounds (the big ones)...and about 5 nature valley granola w/peanut butter squares. HELP!What do you all do when you have this problem?

That's a LOT of sugar and fat (Especially those little debbi snacks) for very little return in nutrition. You really need (a) lots of water, if you haven't already had several glasses today (b) something big and fresh like a veggie salad, a big bowl of soup, a veggie wrap with hummus and lots of crunchy veg, etc (c) some fresh fruit. All you've had are a bunch of fairly refined carbs. That's why it's possible to be a fat vegan. And, that's why there's a menu plan set up so you can get an idea of what a healthy eating plan might look like. I don't follow the menus (never have) BUT I look at them to get reminders "oh yeah, I need to add more leafy greens, been getting a little low on them the last couple of days" or "hmm haven't had much fresh fruit today, better look for some"

What I do is check the menu plan and see what I've been doing - too much grain, not enough green? plenty of green but not much fresh fruit? not enough protein but lots of starches? If I'm not paying attention, it's easy to get into a habit of lots of grains but not much else - whole grain pasta with tomato herb sauce is great, but it needs more veggies either in the sauce/with the pasta or on the side (salad for example). If my week looks like "pasta, rice, potato, pasta, tortilla, pancakes" and there's not much veg involved (a little here and there, mostly tomato) then I know there's a big gap and I'm likely going to start munching way off track.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Samculb- I found a granola bar that helps to satisfy the sweet/chocolate urge. It has a little honey in it which is not strictly vegan but otherwise fits in the plan well. It is made by Nature Valley. It is the crunchy oats 'n dark chocolate. If you only eat 1 of the bars it is 4 gm of fat. I'm not much on processed foods but I like to keep some of these on hand for "those desperate times". It sure beats some other snacks I could grab! Also, not letting yourself get too hungry will help. I try to take an extra piece of fruit to work to eat right before I leave or on the drive home. That way I'm not starving when I get there. Good luck!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Try LaraBars. Most are vegan. I really like the Cherry Pie(very tart though) and the Banana Bread flavors. Nothing but friut, dates and nuts in tese bars!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Try LaraBars. Most are vegan. I really like the Cherry Pie(very tart though) and the Banana Bread flavors. Nothing but friut, dates and nuts in these bars!

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Be careful with the Larabars, they are very calorie dense thanks to the high fat nuts, easy to overdo. Maybe some of the other McDougallers can chime in, but my favorite: POTATOES! Very satiating without a lot of calories. I bake up a tray of them and keep then in the fridge. For a snack I top with some salsa, or more substantially, some kind of bean dish. Sometimes hot sauce, or seasoning blend. Always good.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Potatoes are good for me too. You can bake one in the microwave in about 5 minutes and top it with salsa or some leftover veggies - I like to mix some nutrional yeast with a little water, heat it and pour it on.

Last night I was craving something chocolate and leftover birthday cake was calling me. Instead I quickly mixed up some chocolate chia seed pudding.
Here's a link to a recipe but there are many variations out there.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/11/healthy-chocolate-chia-pudding/

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 450 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org