21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: gastric bypass
Created on: 09/05/12 09:37 AM Views: 4079 Replies: 8
gastric bypass
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Last year I underwent a gastric bypass surgery, which has been successful. However, the surgery is only part of the battle; the rest of it takes eating right and exercising to lose the last 20 pounds, keep the weight off, and stay healthy. At least I'm off all diabetic and high cholesterol medication.

I actually started Kickstart to get more protein in my diet; my pouch (the tiny stomach I now have)does not like meat. I hope that plant-based proteins go down more easily. I add soy protein powder to cereal, oatmeal, and smoothies. The problem I have had so far with Kickstart is that my pouch also doesn't like foods high in fiber. The fettuccine with asparagus and peas made me ill for several hours , and I ate less than 1/2c. of it.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend more pouch friendly foods or ways I can add more protein and calories (yesterday I ate 770 calories and 67 g protein, of which I may absorb 60% at best) without foods that are too dense.

I track my calories and nutrients with a calorie counter, my fitness pal.

RE: gastric bypass
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I don't know anything about this but I found an article that you might be able to modify for a vegan diet--http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastric-bypass-diet/MY00827

It says to avoid "Stringy or fibrous vegetables, such as celery, broccoli, corn or cabbage" and also talks about phases of bringing certain kinds of food back into your diet.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I had gastric bypass 4 1/2 years ago and lost 130 pounds. I started having problems with meat and began looking for alternatives when I "discovered" veganism. At 1 year out from surgery, your pouch will have a difficult time processing very fibrous foods and many raw veggies simply won't go down. Try cooking your food longer than "tender-crisp" and chewing until the food is thinner than baby food in your mouth before you swallow. When you're further out from surgery, your pouch will be able to tolerate all veggies and fruit without a problem, although you will still have to chew very well...but we all should chew well anyway. Good luck!

Ramona

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I had my surgery done over a year ago and am past the stages. In theory, I can eat anything I want but that hasn't been the case. Maybe I'll avoid the fibrous, stringy vegetables for now. Beans and lentils go down easily and I can focus on those for protein.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Ramona!

You're right about chewing well and slowing down! If I eat too fast or not chew well, it all comes back up.

It's good to see another bariatric patient here. I was told that my surgery made veganism impossible.

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You are in luck. PCRM has a good friend and supporter who is a gastric bypass surgeon and a vegan cooking instructor. I sent him your concern and here is what he had to say:

Have him go on my Facebook page at Dr. Garth. I have a lot of advice there and can talk with him through messaging.

He does not need high doses of protein and needs to let go of this dogma.

Secondly plant proteins are completely adequate. Lentils work great. Legumes cause gas in the beginning but the body adapts over time.

Third fiber must be chewed really well before swallowing and don't drink while eating.

I think you should take him up on his invitation to join him on Facebook. He would be glad to personalize, as much as possible, any advice.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Thank you so much! I will take him up on his offer!!

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Dr. Garth's posts on Facebook inspired us to go vegan! His page is great and his posts are terrific and give you lots of ideas of things to eat. Good luck!

Ramona

Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Thank you so much for this thread!
It is promising to see that the protein needs for gb patients aren't as high as we were told. I had gb in February 2012, and recently have been watching "Forks over Knives" and reading "The China Study." I am VERY interested in changing my diet over to vegan, but was concerned that I would not be able to do that because of my protein requirements.
I feel better about my decision, now, and look forward to this new journey. I am excited!!!!
Cheers!

Brenda

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 300 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org