21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: eating slower and portion sizes?
Created on: 09/05/12 11:19 AM Views: 1018 Replies: 6
eating slower and portion sizes?
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

hi guys,

I find that by evening I'm a lot more hungry than I expect, or - I don't THINK I'm hungry, lol, then when I start to eat I can't seem to slow down!

So I end up eating too fast and getting too bloated in the end.

Curious to know if you have any tips to eat slower for better digestion?

Also, I know we aren't suppose to worry about calories when doing this kickstart. But what about portion sizes? I'm not sure if maybe I'm over-doing it with my rice for example, or if I eat a mixed fruit salad, how to estimate what's enough.

I'm guessing it's all a process of experimenting and seeing what works best for each one? Thanks guys Smile by the way, I discovered seitan just the other day, wow its amazing!

RE: eating slower and portion sizes?
Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Put down your utensils between bites; learn to use chopsticks for your dinner (unless it's soup LOL); leave the pot on the counter or on the stove in the kitchen and sit at the table - that way, you can only have the one serving at a time, and you have to stop and consider seconds because it requires getting up and going to the kitchen instead of just grabbing it right where you are.
The amount that is suitable for each person is definitely different. So, if you are eating x amount and find yourself still hungry, eat more. But, before going and getting more, sip a bit of water and see if you are truly hungry or just want to eat. For that matter, you can have one serving, put it all away and then have more later on (or some other snack) if you're hungry later.
I find that if I have someone to talk to or something to read, I eat more slowly. So, we keep a stack of magazines in the kitchen - magazines or newspapers work best because at the end of each article is a time to pause and consider "am I done?" where a book might lead to sitting longer and continuing to eat. As always, YMMV
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

If you are really hungry at night, you may not be eating enough during the day. This is a pretty common occurrence in today's workaholic culture (skipping or skimping on breakfast and lunches). Think about bulking up your breakfast with fruits, for example, and having healthful snacks between meals.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Thank you all! This is great feedback, hahaI LOVE chopsticks.

Susan: I am having a hard time for lunch. Dinners are good because that's when the fresh rice/noodles with vegetables and tofu are readily available.

For lunch, as its also very hot weather here, I don't like to eat so much during the lunch hour, I prefer something light...any recommendations?

Thanks =) Smile

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Thank you all! This is great feedback, hahaI LOVE chopsticks.

Susan: I am having a hard time for lunch. Dinners are good because that's when the fresh rice/noodles with vegetables and tofu are readily available.

For lunch, as its also very hot weather here, I don't like to eat so much during the lunch hour, I prefer something light...any recommendations?

Thanks =) Smile

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

It depends on what is available. But it doesn't have to be a big lunch. It could simply be more snacks throughout the day. I certainly understand not wanting to eat too much in the heat. The key for you really may be more hydrating fresh fruits and vegetables.

What kind of options do you have?

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Here's what I pack for my husband's lunch:

1. Tomato sandwich (whole grain bread, deli mustard or homemade hummus to spread, tomato slices, baby spinach, romaine lettuce, dill pickle slices)
2. Cherry tomatoes
3. Grapes
4. Banana
5. Peanuts
6. Bite sized dill pickles and cherry peppers

All this is for his lunch and 2 breaks. You may not want this much...his job is somewhat physically tiring.

Sometimes I make him a big salad with roasted veggies and fruit instead of the sandwich.

Ramona

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 178 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org