21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Chopped/Food Network
Created on: 06/30/13 07:27 PM Views: 1373 Replies: 5
Chopped/Food Network
Posted Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I enjoy watching cooking shows on the Food Network and tonight I watched "Chopped". On this show the competing chefs are presented with baskets of mystery ingredients from which they must make an appetizer, a main dish and a dessert. I've often wondered how I would do on that show as there's always animal products included. Tonight was different in that the baskets were almost vegan. The only animal product included was honey in the dessert basket. The winning chef is a vegan chef (sorry, I didn't catch his name) who considered not using the honey but chose to use it sparingly. Failure to use all the ingredients in the basket means an automatic loss.

Jen

RE: Chopped/Food Network
Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Oh cool! I'll have to try and find the episode online!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Saw that episode! There have also been episodes of Cupcake Wars where all the bakers were vegan - because the 'guest' judge was also vegan Smile And every once in a while, you'll get a lone vegan on other programs like the celebrity challenges and all (which means a bunch of famous people are saying "I'm vegan" and cooking tasty food on television) They don't always win but they generally make a great impression. What was fun last night on Food Network Star was one of the contestants, a BBQ guy, was assigned a whole pile of garden fresh organic veggies to make something out of for a 4th of July type event. He made what looked to be an awesome (and judge impressing) veggie BBQ sandwich - there had to be at least half a dozen different veggies in there as far as I could see plus a nice sauce to tie it all together with all the nice grilled flavors and all. mmm I might have to go and see if his recipe is up on their website (they often do that).
Even the episodes of things like Chopped that don't have vegan themes, we look at the ingredients and see what we might use, how we can tweak it to remove the meat (maybe use beans or portabella mushrooms or whatever) to create something similar but vegan.
--DebR

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

dodink58 wrote:

I enjoy watching cooking shows on the Food Network and tonight I watched "Chopped". On this show the competing chefs are presented with baskets of mystery ingredients from which they must make an appetizer, a main dish and a dessert. I've often wondered how I would do on that show as there's always animal products included. Tonight was different in that the baskets were almost vegan. The only animal product included was honey in the dessert basket. The winning chef is a vegan chef (sorry, I didn't catch his name) who considered not using the honey but chose to use it sparingly. Failure to use all the ingredients in the basket means an automatic loss.

Jen

Interesting! Since the show is called 'chopped', do you think it might be a good tutorial for someone just getting started in veg prep? Many of us who have been doing this forever might find it hard to believe someone wouldn't know how to cut up a vegetable, but based on some of my email, we can't assume these things!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

LOL No, not about chopping so much - it's a multi-round competition and after each round, one contestant gets 'chopped', removed from the competition. Probably the best short 'tutorial' on knife skills was Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on knives - slicing, dicing, chopping, etc. Another good one is the first season of Worst Cooks in America - these are people who were lucky to not burn water! So, there was an emphasis on knife skills and techniques. That's where I learned how to chiffonade.http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=knife+skills&fnSearchType=site has a bunch of videos on proper techniques for all sorts of slicing, dicing, etc. - obviously, can skip the ones for handling animal carving.
--DebR

Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

LOL No, not about chopping so much - it's a multi-round competition and after each round, one contestant gets 'chopped', removed from the competition. Probably the best short 'tutorial' on knife skills was Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on knives - slicing, dicing, chopping, etc. Another good one is the first season of Worst Cooks in America - these are people who were lucky to not burn water! So, there was an emphasis on knife skills and techniques. That's where I learned how to chiffonade.http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=knife+skills&fnSearchType=site has a bunch of videos on proper techniques for all sorts of slicing, dicing, etc. - obviously, can skip the ones for handling animal carving.
--DebR

Thanks DebR!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 343 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org