21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Hair & Such
Created on: 03/06/14 08:32 AM Views: 646 Replies: 6
Hair & Such
Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Is it me or are dairy-consuming cultures generally more hairy than non-dairy-consuming cultures ?

Is it just a coincidence that dairy rhymes with hairy ?

Wash your back

RE: Hair & Such
Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM

theodore wrote:

Is it me or are dairy-consuming cultures generally more hairy than non-dairy-consuming cultures ?

Is it just a coincidence that dairy rhymes with hairy ?

dairy only rhymes with hairy on your side of the pond Theodore - over here, dairy rhymes with merry

As to the hairiness or lack thereof, there may be some correlation since generally speaking hairier populations live in colder climates and have historically used dairy (from various critters not just bovines) as a source of sustenance during the long cold winters when both plants and animals were scarce as food sources.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

dairy only rhymes with hairy on your side of the pond Theodore - over here, dairy rhymes with merry

As to the hairiness or lack thereof, there may be some correlation since generally speaking hairier populations live in colder climates and have historically used dairy (from various critters not just bovines) as a source of sustenance during the long cold winters when both plants and animals were scarce as food sources.

--DebR

What about India ?

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM

theodore wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:

--DebR

What about India ?

What about it what? as far as rhyming, they were a British colony so the English language there would match the UK. As far as hair or lack thereof, there are plenty of areas in northern India where it is quite cold, which would add hairiness and use of dairy to the culture. That in turn would percolate through the society as people moved from place to place.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Deb

I think we're saying the same thing just in different ways.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, March 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM

This is a good topic you both are addressing: the dairy and consumption of it, in India.

This frustrates me and I don't know if India is a country that can be vegan because of this...because of the history and sacred nature of the cow, and people may not be so willing to change their ways. (hopefully I am wrong in assuming it!)

This is probably because of the culture and religion - in Hinduism, the cow is sacred, so all the dairy is considered a gift from a sacred being that again, has strong religious ties. So everything from yogurt to milk to paneer (indian cheese) is consumed, but it is so different today I think, than maybe in the past when the treatment of the cows was more humane. Now I truly believe, that even India resorts to artificial insemination and with modern times, it's not what it used to be. I don't think it's very humane nowadays, the way the dairy industry works there (although the cows are still seen as sacred, it's again just not what it used to be.)

I've given up trying to convince my 1st generation Indian parents so, I am just trying my own part and hopefully in time, more of India will see that the real sacred gift is to give up the cow's milk for the cows!

Posted Friday, March 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM

theodore wrote:

Deb

I think we're saying the same thing just in different ways.

Deb

I've just re-read this thread more closely and it's struck me that we weren't actually saying the same thing at all. We were pretty much saying the complete opposite.

I guess it's a bit like the debate over multiple sclerosis, which is concentrated in the colder parts of the world which are also the dairy-consuming parts of the world. Is it the dairy or the lack of sunlight that causes it. The answer of course is yes.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 700 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: thaiworthy

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org