21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: favourite hummus?
Created on: 04/10/12 12:55 AM Views: 4384 Replies: 17
favourite hummus?
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I make my own Hummus using a Dr Esselstyn recipe. Its good but every now and again I feel like a change. However I find the number of different hummus recipes a bit overwhelming.

What is your favourite basic Hummus recipe that you would recommend?

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 04/10/12 12:56 AM
RE: favourite hummus?
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I like classic hummus so much that I seldom enjoy a variation, until I tried this. Just change the chickpeas for green peas. I was intrigued by what I thought was an unusual idea. It was very delicious.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

our fav is still the roasted red pepper hummus from the kickstart. That's pretty much a standard one around here. Plain is okay, there are a couple of other ideas we've kicked around (like sun dried tomato) but we haven't messed with our favorite much yet.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

roasted garlic is good also

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I get hummus from a local grocery shop here. It is fat free! So I can eat tons of it Wink. I like to spice it up with minced onion, paprika and lemon juice for an additional kick!

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I got my recipe from the 3 bowls cookbook. They have a basic, roasted red pepper roasted eggplant, and just roasted red pepper.

When I assisted in a cooking class, I used these as a start and made one with roasted garlic, one with kalamata olives, one with sundried tomatoes.

It was interesting that the people in the class seemed to really have strong favorites. I vary between them but when making it for myself only, I cut way back on the tahini so as to reduce the fat content.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I like the basic Hummus recipe on PCRM. I also like it with roasted red pepper and spinach. That was a good idea with switching to split peas instead of chickpea for a change. I'll have to try it.

Edited 04/10/12 2:36 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I made the basic Hummus recipe from the kickstart book today and it was great. A little different with a tablespoon of Tahini than the no-fat Dr Esselstyne version and a nice change. Mayber I need a little fat every now and again.

I then added some organic tomoato from my garden to half of it to make a tomato tasing hummus. Also pretty good.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Does anyone have the red pepper hummus recipe? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM

http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=265 This is the PCRM recipe. But I would use 1/4 C of roasted red pepper.

Edited 04/11/12 10:32 PM
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

That's very simple. Thanks. I could eat that every day especially as the days are longer and Spring needs monitoring Smile. I want to be out there. Grab a wrap and go.

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

babs wrote:

That's very simple. Thanks. I could eat that every day especially as the days are longer and Spring needs monitoring Smile. I want to be out there. Grab a wrap and go.

We make some nice whole wheat tortillas (fresh ground wheat, yummy!) and pile with the roasted red pepper hummus, assorted matchstick cut veggies, a bit of green leafy, roll it up and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap (so it doesn't unroll) then pack them in a backpack with water, fruit, and a few extra nibbles and we're set for a day out hiking our favorite local trails. No worries about things like cheese or cold cuts getting nasty if it's warm (though we do pack the wraps with a reusable ice pack anyway to keep the veggies crisp)

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I love meals I can eat out of my hand, or standing looking out my window watching traffic snarls. Sigh. Retirement. Living alone. What would you like to eat, me? Why whatever you choose, me.

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM

My favorite is Sweet Potato Hummus: http://caloriecount.about.com/sweet-potato-hummus-recipe-r882218

Edited 04/14/12 2:55 AM
Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Randi wrote:

Yumm thanks. Im going to try this recipe as I love sweet potatoes.

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

My favorite is from the sparkpeople website:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=85813

2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup water
1/6 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 2-3 lemons (about 3 Tbsp)
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cumin powder

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM

My favorite is from the sparkpeople website:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=85813

2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 cup water
1/6 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 2-3 lemons (about 3 Tbsp)
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cumin powder

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

one key thing we've discovered when making hummus is that HOT chickpeas make a smoother hummus than straight from the can or fridge (if you cook batches and refrigerate or freeze them for later use).

We found, too, that if you use cool (can or fridge) chickpeas and pulse a couple times in the ole food pro and then mix your favorite tuna condiments into it (herbs, celery, vinegar, mustard, vegan mayo for a treat, etc), it's somewhere between tuna salad and egg salad (depending on how chunky it ends up). Our son used to go through 2-3 cans of tuna per week - it was a simple meal he could do himself (he's almost 14 now) but when we make chickpea salad like this, he's fine with it (I asked him and he said no, he didn't need tuna, the chickpeas are fine!)

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 190 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org