21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Weightloss?
Created on: 09/06/12 05:29 AM Views: 3414 Replies: 17
Weightloss?
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I guess we're all doing this kickstart for different reasons, but I'm sure that many of you, like me, are doing it for weight loss reasons.

So I wanted to start this topic so that we can see how much others have have dropped and possibly brag a bit of our own accomplishments!

I'm soooo excited to see if I shed those extra kilo's!!!

I think I might have dropped half a kilo (1 pound) already... and we're on day 4! What about you guys?

Happy thoughts from Nora in Norway Smile

RE: Weightloss?
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hi Nora,

Congratulations on your weight loss. I believe most of us in the "looking for support" forum are doing this at least partly for weight loss. We'd love to have you join us there.

I have lost 4 pounds already. That is certainly great motivation to stick with it!

I hope you have another good day! Kay

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Honningmelon wrote:

Hi everyone!

I guess we're all doing this kickstart for different reasons, but I'm sure that many of you, like me, are doing it for weight loss reasons.

So I wanted to start this topic so that we can see how much others have have dropped and possibly brag a bit of our own accomplishments!

I'm soooo excited to see if I shed those extra kilo's!!!

I think I might have dropped half a kilo (1 pound) already... and we're on day 4! What about you guys?

Happy thoughts from Nora in Norway Smile

Hey Honningmelon! Welcome from Norway!

Yes, you will be able to drop extra kilos easily with a plant-based, vegan diet. Depending on your genetic predisposition, you will need to be more attentive to quality in terms of whole foods and low fat. Paying attention to the calorie concentration of foods will allow you to eat to complete satisfaction and get and stay trim - I know because doing so dropped 50 lbs from my frame and why do you think I love being in here helping others do the same?

There's nothing like being fit, trim, and energetic in a way that is also kind to the planet and compassionate to the animals that inhabit it. Lots of reasons to take this step!

Here to help,

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

What is the "looking for support" forum?

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

If you go up to the "Forums" tab (in red below the kickstart banner) Then click through to the 9/3/12 Kickstart and in the list of topics is "Looking for Support". We'll look for you there! Kay

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yay! Found it! Thank you!!

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I joined for health reasons back in January, not for weight loss, but I have lost 12 pounds since then, then stopped.

I actually weigh 25 pounds less than this time last year, but had already lost a bunch due to stress before I did the January Kickstart.

I know the reason I haven't lost more is that I am not really eating as low fat as I could. But I'm not letting it worry me. I will go low fat when the time is right for me, just like I stopped eating meat when the time was right for me.

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I started 8 weeks ago after reading the book. I have lost about 8-9 lbs. I have one question though. I see on tv, the ads saying "I lost 10 lbs and dropped 3 dress sizes" How come the only thing that is fits looser on me is my socks! Shocked

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hi! This is my first Kickstart, but I was given the book two weeks ago and have been following the plan really conscientiously. I'm not even eating any of the processed "fake" meats, as I was worried about the oil in them. I have not lost a single pound...not a SINGLE one. Is this normal? I have 100 pounds to lose, so I thought that at least the beginning would be quicker. Help? Any experienced Kickstarters have any words of wisdom???
--Nicole Confused

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Hi guys!

Thanks for joining the discussion!

Well done, Slt!

DebB, what ad? Something on TV? (I live in Norway, it's fairly unknown here, this kickstart) But 10 pounds? That hardly equals 3 dress sizes!! Unless those 10 pounds came from the belly-area exclusively maybe.. Still sound weird. Usually you loose wight all over at once, and I don't think 10 pounds would make that much of a difference. Since I moved in with BF last year, I've gained 20 pounds, and I feel the same, and I can use most of my clothes still (and it doesn't look bad, promise). I'm convinced if we all just stick to this, we'll shed those extra pounds effortlessly. (But of course exercise would go a long way in speeding things up)

Hi Nicole! Sounds like you have a really healthy diet! I am not an experienced kickstarter, so I wouldn't know! :/ I expect your extra pounds will come off when you stick to the diet. Just keep your spirits up! Here's some inspiration Smile http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/vegan-weight-loss.aspx

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Honningmelon- I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. That was said tongue-in-cheek. I was referring to the never-ending ads on tv for phony wt loss gimics and supplements. My feeble attampt to be funny! Sorry.

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Oh.. haha! I guess I would have got it if we had more commercials like that over here!
Haha... stupid me... /rolls eyes

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Honningmelon wrote:

Hi Nicole! Sounds like you have a really healthy diet! I am not an experienced kickstarter, so I wouldn't know! :/ I expect your extra pounds will come off when you stick to the diet. Just keep your spirits up! Here's some inspiration Smile http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/vegan-weight-loss.aspx

Thanks Honningmelon! I appreciate your response... I love eating this way. I feel so much healthier...but I have so much weight to lose and I guess I was hoping for it to melt off...as they say...
Very Happy Nicole

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Hi Nicole!

How are you doing now? Are you reading the book while doing this? I read yesterday's entry, and it said that if you aren't loosing weight, there is something wrong, and that you need to identify the problem.

I see others in this forum have lost so much! I'm getting concerned cause I've only dropped 2 pounds. Have you started loosing weight yet? Smile

-Nora

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Honningmelon wrote:

Hi Nicole!

How are you doing now? Are you reading the book while doing this? I read yesterday's entry, and it said that if you aren't loosing weight, there is something wrong, and that you need to identify the problem.

I see others in this forum have lost so much! I'm getting concerned cause I've only dropped 2 pounds. Have you started loosing weight yet? Smile

-Nora

2 lbs in a week is a good safe weight loss goal. If someone isn't losing weight, there are a couple of things possibly happening. There may still be a bit too much fat (like having nuts as a snack); there may be fluid retention - especially if a lot of faux meats (like veggie patties) are being used because of the sodium levels involved; there may be too many calories being consumed because the person hasn't had time to re-learn what "full" feels like - when there are no "limits", it's really easy to eat too much because most of us have lost touch with the feeling of "I've had just enough, I'll stop now" and we keep eating until we feel "stuffed full". If that's the case, make sure that the pot of dinner is not within arm's reach on the table during meals. Finish off a glass of water before going for seconds. If you're still hungry, go have more. If you just feel like you want to eat more (but your body feels full), get up and wash the dishes and put the leftovers away for tomorrow's lunch. You can still come back in an hour and re-heat something or get a snack if you truly need more food.

--DebR

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Honningmelon wrote:

Hi Nicole!

-Nora

Hi Nora!
Yes, thank you for checking in...I cut way back on the nut butters and I dropped 5 pounds two days later. I think that while I was not counting calories, and I was not technically overeating, portion-wise, I was eating too much fat in (mostly) nut butter. YUM! SO, in two weeks, 5 pounds is not bad! You've lost 2 pounds in one week-that's great! I think now that everyone's body adjusts to this at different paces. While I wish, and I'm sure you can relate, that my body went, "Whoa, vegan diet, let me clear all that extra fat out immediately!" That's not the case. So...any weightloss is good weightloss, right?

I started entering my foods into SparkPeople for a couple of days to check in on calories, fat, carbs, and protein. It's an iPhone app and a website (www.sparkpeople.com). Even though this diet doesn't really require counting anything, I thought that could be helpful to peek at how balanced I was eating. It turned out that while most everything was well balanced, my fat grams were way high...it helped me to know what to tweak. Perhaps that could be helpful for you? I won't be counting probably for much longer, but I thought that for a few days I would until I learned what the balance should be for me...
Hope that helps!
Keep writing and let me know how you're doing!
--Nicole

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

WOW, Nicole!!! THat's amazing! Congratulations!!! Very Happy

/Nora Smile

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

For those wanting to lose weight there is no magic pill that will work overnight. If there was I would be at the front of the line to get mine Smile

I believe there are many factors to weight loss during the kickstart. For example,

Three weeks is a very short time although hopefully long enough to change eating habits.

For women it can depend on where you are in your menstrual cycle when you climb on those scales so you may not be seeing what is really happening (fluid retention).

Stress has been shown to be anti-weight loss as a stressed body wants to hold on to that extra fat. So dont stress over what you havent lost yet.

If you are eating too few calories you wont lose weight easily as the body thinks it is starving and goes into survival mode - i.e. holding on to the extra fat.

We have different metabolisms and some people just lose weight faster than others. Therefore comparison with others doesnt always help and just makes you more frustrated.

I agree with the other posts that there may have to be some individual adjustments. For me it wasnt about fats or not being low fat enough, it was sugars. Since going almost sugar free including staying away from natural vegan sugars like agave and maple syrup and really reading labels (lots of packaged vegan foods have lots of sugar) my body has responded and I am now losing weight after going nowhere for some time. This may not work for anyone else but it does for me. So its about finding what works best for your body.

Even if you dont lose weight during the three weeks of kickstart your body will be in better health. If you stick with the plan when the kickstart is over and make minor adjustments as needed for you (sometimes its trial and error to find out what works) the weight will slowly come off.
Hang in there.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 09/15/12 1:33 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 501 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org