21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: February 2013 [21 Day Vegan Kickstart]
Created on: 02/02/13 09:48 AM Views: 1793 Replies: 12
February 2013 [21 Day Vegan Kickstart]
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I joined the program the 1st of February. I found out about it late in January, so I had to wait until it started again to join.

I need some guidance on how to navigate this site. I want to give my personal feedback of how I did with the program each day. Is there any particular place I should do that?

~SkinnyLynne~RDz

email
RE: February 2013 [21 Day Vegan Kickstart]
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Right here is the place to be. You'll get plenty of feedback, advice, and tips from fellow members, PCRM's AWESOME dietitian (Susan), and an AMAZING coach that is a plant-based fitness expert (Lani).

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks for the endorsement, Jodie!! Yep, we're here everyday! Post away!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

So I just stay on this thread no matter what I want to ask or write about concerning the 21 Day Kickstart Program?

~SkinnyLynne~RDz

email
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

You could do that, or if you want to grab more members' attention, start a new thread and make the Subject line the topic you want to discuss. On the Main Forum page, the upper left corner has a green box titled "New Topic". Just click on that.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Okay -

On Day 1 I made the "Green Apple Oatmeal" I love apples and I like oatmeal a lot, but that particular combination was not very appealing. It almost had a vinegar taste to it. I tried adding some ground "Apple Pie Spice" (made by McCormick), but it was still a little bitter. What did I do wrong? Sad

I also made the "Banana Oatmeal Bites" for my snack on Day 1. Again, I was not pleased with the product. It tasted like a ball of dough.
I even double checked the recipes to see if I had made any mistakes. Sad

I will eat what I made because I cannot afford to waste the money I spent to buy the ingredients for these recipes, BUT how can I tweak the recipes to make them more palatable in the future?

~SkinnyLynne~RDz

email
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I took the "Quiz" yesterday and today, both times the site has not allowed me to enter my answer, and has automatically marked it as incorrect Sad
Where do I go to "review", so I know if I had the right answer or not?

There was also a link that was given in my daily email for Day 2 that was suppose to connect me to more information about the importance of B12; that link is not working Crying or Very sad

I am really sad.
I really do want to learn more about the Vegan way of life for my health, but I keep hitting these types of discouraging stumbling blocks - HELP!

~SkinnyLynne~RDz

email
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I doubt you did anything wrong recipe wise, it sounds more like you are a victim of The Pleasure Trap. This video will explain why you biologically crave the sweeter, saltier, fattier foods.

Many people feel that the food is bland when they first switch to this way of eating. Your tastes will change and you will start to enjoy the true taste of food if you abstain from the poor artificial foods. I found it easier to go cold turkey and give up all the poor foods and my tastes changed rather rapidly. Other's try to wean themselves onto the low-fat vegan diet, and that works better for them. Although that method will take longer for you to get rid of your cravings, and you won't get results nearly as fast.

If you want to wean, try adding a little sweetener to your oatmeal, like maple syrup or agave nectar. Try to use less and less as you progress. The same goes for adding salt.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to your web questions. I just went to Today's Message and was able to take the quiz without any problems. Just check the box to the left of your answer to select it.

If you're having trouble accessing the daily messages from your email, you can always click on "Today's Message" at the top of this page.

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think you are right about the B12 link. I will have our Web folks take care of that. In the meantime, read more here: http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/faq_b12.pdf.

The quiz is working fine on my end, so I'm not sure if your computer is not allowing you to use the program? That's too bad; I wish I could help!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

SkinnyLynne wrote:

Okay -

On Day 1 I made the "Green Apple Oatmeal" I love apples and I like oatmeal a lot, but that particular combination was not very appealing. It almost had a vinegar taste to it. I tried adding some ground "Apple Pie Spice" (made by McCormick), but it was still a little bitter. What did I do wrong? Sad

I also made the "Banana Oatmeal Bites" for my snack on Day 1. Again, I was not pleased with the product. It tasted like a ball of dough.
I even double checked the recipes to see if I had made any mistakes. Sad

I will eat what I made because I cannot afford to waste the money I spent to buy the ingredients for these recipes, BUT how can I tweak the recipes to make them more palatable in the future?

I've had trouble with various baked items in the past - some were fantastic and some tasted like they weren't fully cooked in the middle. I've been adjusting my oven temperature and playing around with artificial sweetener. I noted the banana bites don't have artificial sweeteners. Keep trying and see what works for you. I'm proud that you're hanging in there and seeking feedback from others.

Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Sad I must confess; on Day 3 I did have some egg whites, at breakfast, but I did toss out the yolks.

Today is Day 4 - I will strive to do better today with complying to the guidelines of this program. Smile

~SkinnyLynne~RDz

email
Posted Monday, February 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM

SkinnyLynne wrote:

I joined the program the 1st of February. I found out about it late in January, so I had to wait until it started again to join.

I need some guidance on how to navigate this site. I want to give my personal feedback of how I did with the program each day. Is there any particular place I should do that?

Hi SkinnyLynne!

Welcome! Just saw your note.

You've gotten some great tips from Susan and Jodie. And it sounds like you are getting the daily emails? That puts you right in the flow.

And within this "Main" forum, you can start a new topic thread whenever you like - that way you can keep topics separate somewhat. Also, by having your new topic in new post titles, you inspire others to come into your thread and either respond to or add to your question.

Hope it's all getting easier!

Also, there is a free teleclass for Kickstarters coming up in Feb that you are invited to:

Kickstart Your Fitness

Would love to see you there!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Edited 02/04/13 9:25 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 262 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org