21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Soy protein / isolate
Created on: 09/06/12 10:37 AM Views: 802 Replies: 3
Soy protein / isolate
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I found that in Vietnam here, I am able to find lots of vegan 'fake meats' but they say 'soy protein isolate.' Can anyone tell me more information about how good/bad this can be for our health? I only notice that its very salty and makes me thirsty! so i must dilute with water.

Is it okay to take soy protein? It seems that its low in carbs and very good source of protein, which I think I definitely need. I am stil a little nervous about consuming too much soy...but again, I would have this soy protein / 'soy meat' maybe just one time a day, like with one meal mixed with rice or noodles/salad. in this case, would it be okay to consume one serving / portion a day?

Thanks! Very Happy

RE: Soy protein / isolate
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

cuteddybears wrote:

I found that in Vietnam here, I am able to find lots of vegan 'fake meats' but they say 'soy protein isolate.' Can anyone tell me more information about how good/bad this can be for our health? I only notice that its very salty and makes me thirsty! so i must dilute with water.

Is it okay to take soy protein? It seems that its low in carbs and very good source of protein, which I think I definitely need. I am stil a little nervous about consuming too much soy...but again, I would have this soy protein / 'soy meat' maybe just one time a day, like with one meal mixed with rice or noodles/salad. in this case, would it be okay to consume one serving / portion a day?

Thanks! Very Happy

Aim for 'real' soy - whole foods like tofu and tempeh rather than stripped apart things like 'isolate'. The soy protein isolate is not the salty part - that's from the huge quantities of salt they add to the products. As far as protein, if you're using the kickstart plan at all, lots of beans, lentils, whole grains, you really don't need to add 'extra' protein, particularly not a stripped apart version of it. Keep in mind that you're aiming for whole, real, foods with as little processing as appropriate (so, brown rice instead of white, for example).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Ditto Bugsmom.
Whenever you hear bad health news about soy, it's about soy isolates which appear in all sorts of refined, processed products. Avoid it. Traditional soy foods like tofu and tempeh are what is associated with the good health news you hear about soy. Eat them and smile. As for protein, you need much less than most people think. A whole foods diet will easily do. If you have the time, look up "kwashiorkor", which is the deficiency disease for protein and notice how rare it is. If you're not truly starving or have some nasty parasite, it's really hard to find. Enjoy your fruits, veggies, starches and legumes in good health.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hi, thanks for this info!

Well, what I didn't like personally about these 'fake' soy protein / meat items, is they were very high in salt. It's probably why they are so good and addictive - can't stop after one bite!

But I don't like that feeling of eating something that doesn't feel natural in my body. It does feel like I'm eating something with a lot of other added, artificial ingredients - it's not a fresh item since it's packaged and placed on the shelf of a supermarket, i guess the more preservatives something has, the longer it lasts, right?

That's one thing I remember hearing, 'don't eat something that can't spoil soon'

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 274 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: pwood99

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org