21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Lunch ideas
Created on: 09/06/12 11:22 AM Views: 426 Replies: 2
Lunch ideas
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hi guys,

I find that I struggle with lunch, mainly because here in Vietnam, I'm working or starting to work more regular schedule as a teacher. I don't feel comfortable eating heavier items during the day, so do you have ideas for light, but nutritious foods during the lunch?

I like soups, like vegetable soups a lot, and maybe fruit salads with some nuts. my favourite is peanuts and almonds.

I also like simple beans, and salads but I may not have time to prepare these during my brief lunch break when I'm teaching....any recommendations?

Confused

RE: Lunch ideas
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

cuteddybears wrote:

Hi guys,

I find that I struggle with lunch, mainly because here in Vietnam, I'm working or starting to work more regular schedule as a teacher. I don't feel comfortable eating heavier items during the day, so do you have ideas for light, but nutritious foods during the lunch?

I like soups, like vegetable soups a lot, and maybe fruit salads with some nuts. my favourite is peanuts and almonds.

I also like simple beans, and salads but I may not have time to prepare these during my brief lunch break when I'm teaching....any recommendations?

Confused

Pack the salads in a container and put it in a reusable sack "lunchbox" with a cold pack (the reusable kind you put in the freezer) or freeze a bottle of water to use - it does double duty - keeps the food cool and by lunchtime it's ready to drink. Don't plan to do anything but eat at lunchtime, prep it all ahead of time (in the morning or the evening before depending on your schedule). Make a big pot of soup on the weekend that you can use for lunches all week. Pre-cut fruit and vegetables on the weekend so you can grab a few handfuls of pre-cut stuff, toss it into a container, and you've got a salad ready to go. Likewise, cook a pot of beans on the weekend and store in the fridge. A handful of beans tossed with pre-cut veggies and you've got a veggie and protein lunch to go in under 5 minutes. You might even look into preparing 'bento boxes' for yourself - there are lots of websites and such with ideas.

--DebR

RE: Lunch ideas
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Pack it ahead of time. I teach as well, and have only 35 minutes for my lunch. It's almost always leftovers from dinner, and I have trained myself to enjoy my food at room temperature instead of piping hot. When I make dinner, I portion out lunch in a separate container for the next day's lunch. But some days lunch comes in the middle of a 4 hour drive, where I can't be eating from a bowl, so I make wraps of a bean spread and veggies that I can safely manage while driving the mind numbing expanse of Interstate 5. We conducted an interesting experiment this summer with Vietnqmese style fresh rolls. We found that they survived quite well overnight in the fridge for the lunch the following day. They are made with a combination of tofu, noodles, veggies and herbs wrapped in a rice noodle paper, like a salad in your hand. It takes a little practice to wrap them right, but it's a lot of fun.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 510 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org