21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: weakness
Created on: 04/10/12 01:13 PM Views: 1051 Replies: 5
weakness
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I've been following this diet for 9 days now. I've lost 3.4lbs, which is wonderful. And I feel thinner (e.g. jeans are following off), which I love. My only problem is that I also feel weak. I work out at least 4 days a week and used to wake up feeling really strong. Since I have been on this diet, however, I feel a bit shaky instead of strong. What am I doing wrong? And how can I make this feeling go away?

RE: weakness
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

It could be a couple of things.

1. More than 3 pounds in 9 days could be too much weight loss too fast depending on your start weight. This would mean you are not eating enough, which could also be why you feel weak.

Or

2. Your blood sugars are dropping too low. Maybe your insulin is getting really efficient and you need to eat more often - add a piece of fruit here and there. Eating a snack in some form of carbohydrate before bedtime could help with morning shakes. Or eating a piece of fruit right when you get up. Fruit has simple carbs so it will digest very quickly and take care of low blood sugars faster than some other carb sources.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Are you eating enough? As already stated in this program, don't count portions too much. Eat until you are satisfied. Eat a hearty breakfast. I usually make steel cut oats and add a little bit of NUDE foods powder (mix of berries, nuts). It keeps me satisfied till lunch. I usually eat a big salad (with some sort of beans) as well as some sort of sandwich, pita with hummus and veggies etc. If I feel hungry in the eve, I will grab a fruit-apple, pear whatever is in the fridge. Dinner is usually a green smoothie along with whatever I have cooked for the day (rice and some vegetable or pasta etc). Try to consume whole, unprocessed foods and it certainly doesn't keep me hungry. This kind of diet is more like a lifestyle for me than a diet. I can never go back to my old ways of eating.

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

negandhi wrote:

I've been following this diet for 9 days now. I've lost 3.4lbs, which is wonderful. And I feel thinner (e.g. jeans are following off), which I love. My only problem is that I also feel weak. I work out at least 4 days a week and used to wake up feeling really strong. Since I have been on this diet, however, I feel a bit shaky instead of strong. What am I doing wrong? And how can I make this feeling go away?

also, make sure you're getting enough water, sodium, potassium, etc. - if you're doing major work outs without following up with replenishing what you've lost, that could leave you feeling weak (in addition to what the others have said regarding eating enough food). Plan to have a post workout snack of some sort - hummus and veggies or whole grain crackers, fruit, a smoothie, etc.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am eating like crazy--I seem to always be hungry. I'm not watching how much I eat at all. But I will try to eat more and more often.
Thank you for the feedback.

Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

It could be a couple of things.

2. Your blood sugars are dropping too low. Maybe your insulin is getting really efficient and you need to eat more often - add a piece of fruit here and there. Eating a snack in some form of carbohydrate before bedtime could help with morning shakes. Or eating a piece of fruit right when you get up. Fruit has simple carbs so it will digest very quickly and take care of low blood sugars faster than some other carb sources.

I'd have to agree with her. When I first starting eating Vegan, I was the same way, and sometimes it still happens (like right now.) Eating a nice big meal helps for the moment, and then I just try and eat more frequently throughout the day. A piece of fruit, a serving of nuts, maybe even a larabar. Good Luck!

www email

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 150 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org