21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: vegan butter?
Created on: 04/10/12 01:43 PM Views: 1432 Replies: 6
vegan butter?
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Is there any sort of savory spread I can use on bread that is vegan?

RE: vegan butter?
Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I have seen some vegan cheese spread brands in WF..can't remember the names but is in the same section as other dairy stuff. I would use it sparingly. Then there is also Earth Balance which you can spice it up with roasted garlic, chilly flakes (but remember to use them as transitioning foods rather than relying on them) If you want to stick to whole foods, use half an avocado and mash it up. Add salt and pepper and you can make your own creamy spread.

It is easy to be mankind,
Difficult to be human
Striving to become human!

Posted Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM

we just use hummus a lot of the time as a savory spread. on a good hearty whole grain bread (like a nice pumpernickel), hummus is all the savory needed. If what you're looking for is actually butter-like, we use smart balance - make sure to look for the variety that says Vegan on the side (some of the varieties use fish oil). There's also Earth Balance which is similar in concept. But, then again, we don't often do "buttered toast" type applications. Or, try spreading toast with something like a spicy tomato jam type product (check farmer's markets and the 'ethnic' aisle in the grocery). I used to make ketchup sandwiches when I was a kid! Laughing

--Deb R

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I haven't tried it but www.nutritionmd.org has a recipe for cornbutter. It might be worth a try.

Posted Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Deb, ketchup sandwiches - we ate those too - what a hoot! We also ate sugar sandwiches. On white bread of course! Yikes!

--Sandy

Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 at 8:24 AM

dougsandyl wrote:

Deb, ketchup sandwiches - we ate those too - what a hoot! We also ate sugar sandwiches. On white bread of course! Yikes!

I'd do white toast with butter and sugar - not all that far from cinnamon toast, one of my all-time fav comfort foods.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Earth Balance is the best!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 70 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org