21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Vegan cat owners
Created on: 05/30/12 11:38 AM Views: 6320 Replies: 27
Vegan cat owners
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

please don't get angry but I have always been curious why so many vegans are cat owners. I would image there's a lot of cruelty in making cat food. Unlike dogs, cats eat meat. I don't know what book I was reading but it said millions of chicken are killed weekly for cat food in the US. To me it seems like a paradox.

RE: Vegan cat owners
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I am vegan for improved health reasons not due to any issue with some animals or humans eating meat. I love my cat. He brings joy in my life and I enjoy having a creature to care for and love. I don't have kids but I have many friends who do and still own cats. They are just wonderful. I also have a dog. What I don't understand is when vegans try to make their pets vegan too. I don't know of any studies that show improved health for dogs or cats on vegetarian diets. Dogs and cats are carnivores. Humans are omnivores so the choice to to vegetarian makes more sense. Smile

Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

We've got a dog, Bucky (or Buckethead as we sometimes call him; used to have two, but Java passed away a few years ago, he was a retired guide dog so he was already 11 yrs old when we adopted him) and what he'd really LOVE to eat is the cats next door Laughing but what he gets is basic dry dog food. For many felines, dry food can lead to health issues so it makes sense to feed them what doesn't lead to health issues.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I'll weigh in here on this issue because I am owned by three cats (Christofur, Beanie, and Willyum)and don't eat meat first and foremost because of animal issues, but I understand that my furries must consume animal protein because of the requirement for taurine.

I agree with Willow's response. We have a choice - cats do not. We have a choice to leave salmon for seals, as well, who do not have a choice, yet we (as a species) continue to overfish and shoot seals for eating the salmon. Paradox indeed.

We, as a species, created the domesticated cat (albeit thousands of years ago), thus, we've created the problem of how to feed them. I don't know that chickens, fish, or cattle are killed specifically for catfood, or if the by-products of these "food sources" are just made into cat/dog food? (possibly lame/injured cattle/chickens that cannot be sold for human consumption are used for this purpose...?) It's disgusting but there you have it.

Interesting question! (and I had a cat named Willow, too...loved that beautiful cat. She's been gone since April, 2004. Sad

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I have a 20-year-old cat(average life expectancy is 15) who I adopted when its owner passed away 12 years ago.

A year and a half ago she was very thin and diagnosed with kidney failure.

Ever since then she has been on a special low-protein food and has gained weight, has lots of energy, and is thriving.

Maybe all that animal protein isn't cracked up to be what its supposed to be for cats either.

Edited 05/30/12 7:09 PM
Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I agree with Mariberry - we domesticated cats and therefore we are responsible for them - that means they should not run loose so that they are a danger to themselves (by getting hit by a car, etc.) or a danger to the native animals and birds. I have 2 cats that have always stayed inside. Their diet is dry cat food - not Iams who I've read do not treat their animals ethically. They won't even eat people food whether those people are vegan or carnivores. Animals teach us compassion, are not judgemental, and don't talk back. We look after them and they give us back love.

Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Forgot my favourite phrase by K.D. Lang - “We all love animals, but why do we call some of them pets and some of them dinner?”

Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Hi Veganer - how great your kitty is alive at such a ripe old age! (according to my vet, the average age for a cat is actually closer to 8 years, not 15!)

There could also be other reasons for your cat's kidney issues. Truly, the type of food we feed our cats is not what they really need - no matter how "good quality" it is. If our cats lived on a natural diet of mice and birds they would be a lot healthier, but as Chickadee noted, we don't want to decimate the populations of singing birds. Sad

Cats do not have a natural thirst reflex therefore often don't drink enough water. Male cats can be especially at risk for bladder crystals etc. (just ask me - Beanie underwent a $700 surgery for these nasties a few weeks after we found him in a dumpster).

Often our cats are overfed and under-exercised. If you look at the big cats of Africa - all they eat is protein and I doubt they die from kidney disease (more likely death from being hunted by the most dangerous animal on earth - MAN).

Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I listened to the audiobook of The China Study and made a decision to change the way I eat in January. But my four cats did not. I've had them for many years and I'm not going to starve them to death or ask them to eat salads or turn them out to kill the birds and chipmunks in my back yard instead of buying cat food.

I don't know the answer yet as to how to be kinder to the animals that go into the making of cat food and at the same time to provide for my cats and to keep them healthy, since, as far as I know, cats are naturally carnivores.

Posted Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Mariberry,
Thanks for thinking of my cat. She meowed thanks.
Sorry to hear about what happened to Beanie but glad he is okay.

I double-checked with my vet and was told cats live usually from age 12-20. Sorry about your kitties only living to be an average age of 8 there.
The food my cat eats is low protein. Its not special because of the quality, its special because of the low protein content.
Higher protein content would be too harsh on my cat's kidneys so if there is a cause or not, there definitely is an effect.

Edited 06/01/12 8:15 AM
Posted Friday, June 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

This is a very interesting conversation you started, Marge. Smile

veganer wrote:

I double-checked with my vet and was told cats live usually from age 12-20. Sorry about your kitties only living to be an average age of 8 there.

This is the average age for outdoor cats (or inside/outside cats).

The food my cat eats is low protein. Its not special because of the quality, its special because of the low protein content.
Higher protein content would be too harsh on my cat's kidneys so if there is a cause or not, there definitely is an effect.

Yes, I do understand the need for a low-protein catfood now that your cat has kidney problems. I was just trying to state (rather badly, obviously) that protein from animal products in the cat food may not have been the cause of the kidney issues in the beginning. Anyway, it sounds like your kitty is in great hands and long may s/he live!

Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Mariberry wrote:

I'll weigh in here on this issue because I am owned by three cats (Christofur, Beanie, and Willyum) Sad

I love that. I am owned by a dog and a cat myself. Sometimes I wonder who is telling who what to do. Gotta go. My border collie says its time for bed.

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

ilovemywillow wrote:

[quote="Mariberry"]
I love that. I am owned by a dog and a cat myself. Sometimes I wonder who is telling who what to do. Gotta go. My border collie says its time for bed.

Have you heard the saying, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff" ? Smile

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Dang Y'all

Interesting discussion.

Which I do not have an opinion on.

Wash your back

Edited 12/03/12 9:05 AM
Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

theodore wrote:

In so much as it relates to ethical vegans of course.

So...to be clear, Theodore, one can't be an ethical vegan if one supports the diet of a creature who requires meat to live? Is it your dream to change the circle of life into a plant-based food pyramid?

Or have I missed yer point? Please clarify.

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Not Theodore nor would I even attempt to be but I do know that some ethical vegans think 'owning' a pet is off-limits because it's taking them out of the natural environment where they would be hunting their own food, rather than being fed. So, feral barn kitties who hunt rodents are fine, filling their carnivore predator place in the cycle of the planet, but housecats being fed meat prepared by their humans is another story.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Hey Mari

Quit playing around with the quote feature. I didn't say anything like that.

Wash your back

Edited 12/03/12 10:15 AM
Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

theodore wrote:

For instance, if you're someone who feels sorry for the animals going through what they go through on the farms and slaughter houses, do you suddenly feel OK about it if they're going to be fed to a carnivore rather than herbivore or omnivore ?

No - I don't feel ok about it at all. But since we (proverbial) have created the problem, how do we fix it?

What happens if you don't adopt the cat ? He'll be killed right ?

Yep.

But if you do adopt him then 100's of animals'll be killed in order to keep him alive. That's the math that I'd base my decision on, as an ethical vegan. That's just me though.

In a perfect world, all cats and dogs would be spayed and neutered. All pet stores who sell animals for profit would be given the heave-ho, all basement and backyard breeders (and licensed ones for that matter) would be heavily fined for profiting off the backs of animals. Voila - problem mostly solved. But we don't live in a perfect world. Not sharing your life with a homeless cat is a personal choice, but those of us who do, who also choose not to participate personally in the meat industry, still do have to feed the lives who depend on us. Deb R. made a great point that barn cats have the ultimate diet of rodents, but unfortunately, the majority of cats live in urban areas - and are kept indoors. (thank god we have raccoons who eat the mice/rats - estimated to be in the billions worldwide - since most cats cannot eat this "health food") Cat food, made from slaughterhouse leftovers, is despicable and isn't remotely what their digestive systems crave. But - it's all most of us have to offer them. Is this a problem without a solution? Would more humane treatment of "food animals" make you feel better about it? (i.e. cows would have a much better life but still one very bad day...) I don't know what the answer is.

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Theodore - just so I'm clear - you're ok with cats being killed as long as cows/chickens aren't?

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Mari, honestly, why are you trying to make it look like I've got an opinion on this issue.

Everyone knows that you can just type [quote= then the person's name, close bracket, then [/quote], then type anything you like in between the two brackets.

Apparently, President Obama denys that I look like a cross between Brad Pitt and George Clooney:

President Obama wrote:

I have known Theodore for many years, and he has never once struck me as being a hybrid of Brad Pitt and George Clooney

See how easy it is to put words in people's mouths.

The only thing I, Theodore, have ever said about meat petfood is:

Theodore wrote:

I do not have an opinion on this issue.

And in case anyone is in any doubt, here is a real quote from the real President Obama that corroborates what I'm saying:

President Obama wrote:

I have known Theodore for many years, and he has never once expressed an opinion on this issue

Wash your back

Edited 12/03/12 10:47 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 399 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org