21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Dietitian View on Vegan Cheese substitute
Created on: 09/06/12 10:55 PM Views: 1196 Replies: 6
Dietitian View on Vegan Cheese substitute
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I don't know what the view on vegan cheese is from dietitians. (Lani can you help here?) I wonder if they may be seen as high fat and if they just contribute to high fat cravings (Are there such things?) and if it might just be better to be cold turkey off of cheese.

Also, what do you think of vegan cheese substitute recipes that can be made at home (VegNews has several in this month's issue.)

RE: Dietitian View on Vegan Cheese substitute
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I'll jump in - vegan cheeses are pretty high in fat. I would avoid during these few weeks, as much as possible, especially if weight loss is a goal. Have you tried nutritional yeast? It has no fat and is supplemented with B12, but more importantly to your question, it has a cheesy flavor and melts into a creamy texture. A lot of vegan mac and cheeses are made with nutritional yeast.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I am not a dietitian.. I used to try to replace the cheese with the vegan cheese products. I found they were no sub for the "real" thing. A pizza w/cheese sub just left me thinking i wanted the real one back..

i tired hummus as a sub.. yuck.. I think I tried a couple other things too... that didn't turn out so good.. trying to get a texture of cheese.. but again there just was no comparison.

So i said, well i am going to forget trying to get something compareable.. it was very freeing to find i can make a delious pizza without cheese or a cheese sub. Now it is just tomato sauce or not.. and veggies.

When i really want the cheese feel.. the nutrional yeast is great in some recipes.. and then nacho mama's vegan queso for dipping chips. (it is all veggies and nutrional yeast-no fat.)

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I have never seen "nacho mama's vegan queso" in stores here. Is it in the refrigerated section? Maybe I can find it at Whole Foods. I like nutritional yeast as a substitute for cheese but my son's not a fan.

Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

nacho mamas can be found in the isles.. it is not refrigerated. I asked my health food store to stock it. It always sells out in a reasonable time so they reorder. The first couple of times I had to say.. "hey you are out of that?" Then they caught on that this little item sells!

http://fatgoblin.com/Where_to_find_us.html

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Never noticed it but will definitely check out HEB and Whole Foods!

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I avoid all the cheese substitutes because they're just too high in fa and too processed. But it also depends on what you want cheese for. If it's pizza, I highly recommend Mark Sutton's Heart Healthy Pizza, an awesome book filled with all kinds of imaginative vegan low fat pizza ideas.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 280 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org