21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Suggestions - veggie box
Created on: 05/13/13 03:20 PM Views: 1056 Replies: 7
Suggestions - veggie box
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Just got into a thing here at work where a local farmer delivers a 10 to 12 lb. box of assorted produce each week (that's per person who is signed up, not total). Each week, it's whatever looks best in the local farms that week - sometimes just his, sometimes he gets items from others (for example, he might get blueberries from a local grower because he doesn't grow them). This is the second week and it's fun to get a random assortment, like a present. He sends a list a few days ahead with 10 possible items, then the box contains 7 or 8 of those 10 items (whatever looks best when he's packing the boxes). So, anyway, there are some items we've never used (surprising since we've used so MANY new veggies in the last few years.

Asparagus - I've never liked it but maybe there are better ways to prepare it. So, what's your fav way to do up asparagus?

Radishes - I've always found them kind of hot/spicy and sharp. But, I've generally only seen them raw in salads. Do they really taste different when cooked?

Beets - well, not really new, but they are probably red beets. Any tips on keeping them from turning the whole dish they are in bright fuchsia? We tried them in a lovely root veg hash some time ago and it just turned an overall bright pink color - a little too much there - I want to see ALL the colors in the dish. Wink

The rest are things we already love - kale, chard, spinach, blueberries, mushrooms, etc.

--DebR

RE: Suggestions - veggie box
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hi Bugsmom,

Do you ever roast vegetables? Beets roasted in the oven are great. I put them in the roasting pan with a mix of vegetables to be roasted. If its large I cut in half as I would with a large potato. The color doesn't go into the other veggies.

I also quite like beet and carrot juice together so if I get more than I can eat I juice them. Yes - its a red colored drink but healthy and tastes good. You need more carrots than beets though or you loose the mixed carrot flavour.

Asparagus - not a favourite of mine either. But I like it wrapped in vegetarian/vegan pastry (used to use filo pastry before becoming vegan) like a parcel with a little vegan cheese and whatever else you like. Make a little parcel and bake until the pastry is cooked.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 05/13/13 5:33 PM
Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Just got into a thing here at work where a local farmer delivers a 10 to 12 lb. box of assorted produce each week (that's per person who is signed up, not total). Each week, it's whatever looks best in the local farms that week - sometimes just his, sometimes he gets items from others (for example, he might get blueberries from a local grower because he doesn't grow them). This is the second week and it's fun to get a random assortment, like a present. He sends a list a few days ahead with 10 possible items, then the box contains 7 or 8 of those 10 items (whatever looks best when he's packing the boxes). So, anyway, there are some items we've never used (surprising since we've used so MANY new veggies in the last few years.

Asparagus - I've never liked it but maybe there are better ways to prepare it. So, what's your fav way to do up asparagus?

Radishes - I've always found them kind of hot/spicy and sharp. But, I've generally only seen them raw in salads. Do they really taste different when cooked?

Beets - well, not really new, but they are probably red beets. Any tips on keeping them from turning the whole dish they are in bright fuchsia? We tried them in a lovely root veg hash some time ago and it just turned an overall bright pink color - a little too much there - I want to see ALL the colors in the dish. Wink

The rest are things we already love - kale, chard, spinach, blueberries, mushrooms, etc.

--DebR

Wash your back

Posted Monday, May 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

In my experience no.

Wash your back

Edited 05/13/13 6:34 PM
Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Thanks. Yes, we've roasted beets along with other root veggies and they turn things pink - most of the time, we opt for golden beets because they don't turn everyone pink. Maybe we can do something of a beet salad/slaw type thing where we expect it to be pink. I wonder if we roasted the beets separately then added them to the hash if they might bleed less all over everything.
--DebR

Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We like asparagus roasted in a bit of oil (we use coconut) and plenty of garlic. I squirt organic lemon on mine. Husband is not vegan and not an asparagus lover at all and he'll eat this. My other fave way is steamed, then sauted lightly with hot peppers from the garden. Remove hot peppers before serving and it's hot but not too hot!

Have fun! I have the same issue only with my own farm....living off whatever is ripening that week! Kinda fun, I think.

Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I like asparagus either steamed or roasted w/garlic.

Beets.. we don't cook them a lot, but one time i threw them into a bean burger recipe. Take white beans and beets.. THen the red doesn't matter too much if it looks like a burger. Can't say mine was a favorite or i would send you a recipe. Perhaps you can come up with one better?

Maybe throw some green peppers in it... or make a non-meatloaf ? THe best non-meatloaf i have found so far is in Let them eat vegan cookbook. I can actually SLICE it!!!

Posted Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I like asparagus either steamed or roasted w/garlic.

Beets.. we don't cook them a lot, but one time i threw them into a bean burger recipe. Take white beans and beets.. THen the red doesn't matter too much if it looks like a burger. Can't say mine was a favorite or i would send you a recipe. Perhaps you can come up with one better?

Maybe throw some green peppers in it... or make a non-meatloaf ? THe best non-meatloaf i have found so far is in Let them eat vegan cookbook. I can actually SLICE it!!!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 599 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org