21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Goals for this kickstart and beyond
Created on: 01/02/12 02:47 PM Views: 5493 Replies: 30
Goals for this kickstart and beyond
Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I have cooked vegan at home for a year now - since my first kickstart January 2011. However, like others have mentioned its the eating out, eating with family (at their place) or eating at work (snacks are often available and I have to get better at saying no) thats my downfall and why I am not eating vegan all the time. Staying away from meat is easy - but dairy is hidden in so many products. Likewise a lot of added fats/oils are in commercial products. Even though they are vegetable oils I feel its too much for me.

I normally start a kickstart having the goal of losing weight but I am not doing that this time. If I can meet my two goals below I think weight loss may follow as a 'side effect'. if it doesnt then at least I know I am eating a more healthy diet.

Goal one is to use this kickstart to try to remedy my eating out issues so I am 99.9% vegan if not 100%.

Goal two is to remove a lot of the fat/oils in my diet. Again its easy at home when cooking from scratch. Its the eating anywhere else and products purchased that cause problems.

What are your goals?

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/02/12 2:50 PM
RE: Goals for this kickstart and beyond
Posted Monday, January 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Hi Kiwi -

Eating out can be a challenge alright! I was out for lunch today and chose a mixed greens salad and "Chick Pea Nuggets". The description on the menu made it sound perfect! When it came, though, the "nuggets" (which I had pictured as being just chickpeas with seasonings) was actually deep-fried falafals. Clearly, I should have asked how the dish was prepared and not just gone with how I imagined it would be served. Gah! And to add insult to injury, it wasn't even that good. I shared so at least I didn't consume the whole dish myself.

I am returning to work tomorrow after two weeks off so am bracing myself for everyone's leftover Christmas treats. Will be packing LOTS of raw veggies to get me through....

All we are saying is "Give Peas a Chance"

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Lose the last 8 pounds. I like coming here for the social aspect and recipes. Although I think I know all the recipes from previous Kickstarts.

Continue to stay vegan and healthy.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 4:43 AM

BlondRenee wrote:

Lose the last 8 pounds. I like coming here for the social aspect and recipes. Although I think I know all the recipes from previous Kickstarts.

Continue to stay vegan and healthy.

Good luck with the weight loss. Like you I know many of the recipes from previous kickstarts but I have to admit I have not tried them all.

I printed out many of the recipes during previous kickstarts and put them in plastic sleeves in a binder to make my own recipe book. I add to this every now and again when I find another recipe that I want to keep. I know I can look these up anytime online but I am an old paper person and like to have it in front of me in the kitchen.

Edited 01/03/12 4:44 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM

My goal is to have more fun with my plants-based diet! When I started last Labor Day, I was oh-so-serious and somewhat rigid. It doesn't have to be that way. I've since discovered bloggers, tweeters, Facebook friends, foodies, etc. who share my health and environmental concerns and address them in creative, motivating ways. Some of my favorites are Kathy Freston, Annie Phyo, and Mark Bittman (not vegan, but he gets it). Closer to my Southern California home, I'm excited and amazed by Mary at Mary's Secret Garden and love talking to farmers and customers alike at weekly farmers markets spread up and down the coast. Good luck, everyone! It's an exciting journey.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

dsb805 wrote:

My goal is to have more fun with my plants-based diet! When I started last Labor Day, I was oh-so-serious and somewhat rigid. It doesn't have to be that way. I've since discovered bloggers, tweeters, Facebook friends, foodies, etc. who share my health and environmental concerns and address them in creative, motivating ways. Some of my favorites are Kathy Freston, Annie Phyo, and Mark Bittman (not vegan, but he gets it). Closer to my Southern California home, I'm excited and amazed by Mary at Mary's Secret Garden and love talking to farmers and customers alike at weekly farmers markets spread up and down the coast. Good luck, everyone! It's an exciting journey.

Deb, yes! More fun, joy, and happiness about the whole thing. Focusing on what you are gaining rather than what you are 'giving up' - and this is so catching to those around you! Vegan is caught just as much as it it is taught.

Brilliant!

Arrow facebook too

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I'm really lucky that I work out of my home, so no temptations from co-workers (other than my husband). Unfortunately, that also means I can snack any time and lately have been binging on gluten free vegan potato chips which are so high in fat.

My goal with the kickstart is to break the habit of reaching for salty/crunchy/high oil snacks. In August of last year I did a juice fast and lost 22# but 3# crept back on the last few weeks eating snacks.

I want to lose at least that 3# and hopefully more during this kickstart. To exercise regularly (I do the Wii 6 week challenge) and continue to work on my goal of a total weight loss of 60#.

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hi All,

My name is Monica. This is my very first kickstart and am very excited about it. So far it has been an interesting ride. I am use to eating a very strict Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian diet, but wanted to take the plunge after reading the China Study and watching Forks Over Knives.

I have a question about side effects, I have been getting major withdrawl symptoms including migraine, acne, and a few other things, I started to go vegan a few weeks ago by changing the milk in my morning latte to Almond.

My goals for this challenge are:

Lower my cholesterol by going completely vegan.
Have more energy to make it through the day.

Have a great kickstart!

Posted Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Hi All,

My name is Monica. This is my very first kickstart and am very excited about it. So far it has been an interesting ride. I am use to eating a very strict Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian diet, but wanted to take the plunge after reading the China Study and watching Forks Over Knives.

I have a question about side effects, I have been getting major withdrawl symptoms including migraine, acne, and a few other things, I started to go vegan a few weeks ago by changing the milk in my morning latte to Almond.

My goals for this challenge are:

Lower my cholesterol by going completely vegan.
Have more energy to make it through the day.

Have a great kickstart!

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

[quote="Music4Hym777"]Hi All,

I have a question about side effects, I have been getting major withdrawl symptoms including migraine, acne, and a few other things, I started to go vegan a few weeks ago by changing the milk in my morning latte to Almond. quote]

Hi Monika,

Im not an expert but this is my third/fourth kickstart (Ive lost track)and at every one there have been people new to this that have withdrawl symptoms as there bodies get used to a healthier way of eating. All I know is that these symptoms will go away if you stick with it. For some it appears to go after a few days, for others it may take a week or more.

My first kickstart I had a major struggle with my cheese addiction. For me it was mental more than physical as I ate cheese with everything and didnt know how to cook without it and had to get used to new flavours (pizza without cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, cauliflower and cheese sauce etc!). I have not eaten cheese for a year now as I am scared if I do have some i will not be able to stop and binge out.

Edited 01/04/12 1:22 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I was challenged to this diet. I have a friend I met through social media. She is this animal activist type that is totally against meat. I am on the flip side of that coin, I am compassionate to animals but I also grew up on a farm and learned how to gut, skin, and butcher a cow before I learned how to drive.

Her argument was I would totally hate the taste of meat and fall ever happily in love with just eating vegan if I were to try this diet plan. She says she feels great, has excess energy, and loves how healthy she feels.

My lifestyle is extremely active. Before I was laid off I did work similar to construction work (outside in the elements most of the day, 12 to 15 hour shifts, no snack time), I also pull volunteer shifts for several organizations that I support that involve more physical activity, I swim in the ocean, bicycle, and do motorcycle rides which can take a lot out of you.

My diet prior to this was to hit the grocery markets just around 8:30pm and I could pick up leftover deli stuff that would normally run 5-6 bucks for $1. It included everything from chicken wings, mac and cheese, cuban tamales, french fries, etc.. I also did restaurant deals were I'd have enough leftovers to be cost effective to have it again the next day.

I need help. I don't have a kitchen (rent a room have small microwave, 2' x 3' refrigerator, and paper plates, plastic utensils). I'm on a limited budget (laid off 3 days before christmas) so cheaper the better.

It may not be the best time to start this diet due to it being so expensive for all the products out there. But I am wondering if anyone else is in this situation that could lend some ideas on how to eat healthy, economically, for 1 person, with no kitchen, and keep it interesting?

My goal:
To try and make it the 21 days without collapsing and then see if I still like the taste of meat.

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Hi Diana,

I also have a vert tight limited budget and am always looking for ways to eat well while keeping my grocery bill down. Unfortunately some of the cheapest foods are the worst for you. The only suggestions I have at present are to

- be inventive and dont feel you have to follow the exact recipes

- buy fruit and veggies from the cheapest sources which isnt always the supermarket - maybe you have a Farmers market in town. Ask around...

- Dont worry about all the ingedients on the shopping list particularly the ready-made transition foods like veggie burgers. Where I live a packet of 6 vegggie/vegan burgers is $10 and its gets expensive so I make my own with some left over mashed veggies, a can of black beans, some wholmeal flour, herbs and a few spices. They end up a little different each time as the ingredients change depending on the left over veggies but I can make a batch of 12 or more for around $4. I usually bake them as I dont fry anything now but they would cook in a microwave.

- Purchase a few favorate herbs/spices for flavourings. You dont need much so they last along time and it can make the difference between a lovely meal and a bland boring meal.

- If you want healthy meals dont overlook steamed veggies. They can be steamed in a microwave. It took me a little while for my tastebuds to change and get used to tasting real food when steamed but now I enjoy a plate of steamed veggies a couple of times a week.

- Veggie cassarole; Slice up your veggies and throw everything into a large microwave dish and microwave for however long it takes to cook. I did this for dinner tonight (potato, sweet potato, eggplant, courgette, carrot, pumpkin with mixed herbs, barbeque smoky seasoning and vegetable stock mixed in a little water) with some green beans on the side. It ends up lasting me for about 3 meals and is cheap.

Hopefully others can give you some really useful tips.

I hope you do feel the benefits your friend mentioned by the end of the 3 weeks. If you choose not to remain vegan at the end of this challenge thats ok. No one on the kickstart will judge you, which is what I love about this site. At least you tried and you will still have learned some new things to cook, experienced a new way of eating and who knows, you may want to try again in the future when you can afford the more expensive transition foods.

Good luck with this challenge and please keep posting updates to let me/us know how you get on.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM

@diana... kiwi gave some good ideas.. also don't worry about being active.. my husband at 55 years old runs under a 9 min mile, 1/2 marathons... almost daily.. totally plant powered.

he has more energy now than when he ate SAD. he almost never sits down till evening. lots of energy.. he fishes in the ocean.. a little cold for swimming here.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM

VeganGinny wrote:

I'm really lucky that I work out of my home, so no temptations from co-workers (other than my husband). Unfortunately, that also means I can snack any time and lately have been binging on gluten free vegan potato chips which are so high in fat.

One of our favorite new gadgets is a Pampered Chef microwave chip maker - we can make fresh potato chips (or sweet potato chips, apple chips, pear chips) ourselves with zero added oil or anything else. Just sliced potato (and seasoning if we choose - a wee sprinkle of mild curry blend is awesome). Super yummy. Plus, since it takes time to make, we tend to eat maybe one spud's worth each and we're done. So, no added fat and portion control in one!

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

[Sorry double posts, there seems to be some real lag time on the server- sometimes I hit save and it just sits there, I can't see that it's posted but if I open another window it shows up.]

Edited 01/04/12 6:16 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

[sorry double posts]

Edited 01/04/12 6:14 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM

kiwi wrote:

Goal two is to remove a lot of the fat/oils in my diet. Again its easy at home when cooking from scratch. Its the eating anywhere else and products purchased that cause problems.

Read the label and don't be afraid to ask for oil free food at a restaurant. My goal is to just be inspired and find like minded people. I went low/no fat vegan after hearing Dr Esselstyn speak and a couple cardiac "events" about 4 months ago. I'm happy about it.

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

surrealchereal wrote:

kiwi wrote:

Read the label and don't be afraid to ask for oil free food at a restaurant. My goal is to just be inspired and find like minded people. I went low/no fat vegan after hearing Dr Esselstyn speak and a couple cardiac "events" about 4 months ago. I'm happy about it.

YES! Read labels! My 13 yr old knows what to look for and what things mean. If the print is really tiny, odds are good that there's stuff you don't want. Large letters generally mean fewer ingredients which usually (though not always) means "safer" options (not as many strange chemical names and such). It can also be helpful, even if you have no allergy issues, to check the allergy alert portion of the label (required by law) because that'll let you know right off if there's dairy in the product anywhere without having to know all the various guises it might be under (anything "caseinate" for example).

Still, the easiest thing (relative to labels/ingredients) is to buy the single ingredients and prepare things yourself as much as possible.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I started vegan eating last month. My friend and I used the old PCRM menus to do our own 21 day kickstart. We both decided to stay on it.

I would say my goal is to keep eating whole foods. I have tested the vegan cheese, tofurky pizza and vegan cookies. They are truly my downfall. I can only have them occasionally.

The other goal is to get off coffee and soda (caffeine).

Posted Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I started vegan eating last month. My friend and I used the old PCRM menus to do our own 21 day kickstart. We both decided to stay on it.

I would say my goal is to keep eating whole foods. I have tested the vegan cheese, tofurky pizza and vegan cookies. They are truly my downfall. I can only have them occasionally.

The other goal is to get off coffee and soda (caffeine).

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 211 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org