21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Honey
Created on: 02/03/13 08:34 AM Views: 929 Replies: 4
Honey
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Why is honey a big no-no on a vegan diet? True, it's made by animals (bees) but it's not like we're eating the bees! Personnaly I like honey in my hot tea. I've tried substituting Agave Nectar for the honey but the taste isn't the same. Since my younger brother is highly allergic to bee stings, I have no problem killing a few bees!

Jennifer

RE: Honey
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

It's true - honey is not a vegan product, as it is from an animal. If someone can't live without the taste of honey and also wants to follow a 100% vegan diet, there is a product on the market to fit the bill: http://www.veganstore.com/product/just-like-honey-rice-nectar/vegan-sauces-and-more.

It tastes just like honey!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 02/03/13 9:19 AM
Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

But keep in mind, Jennifer, that these decisions are yours. Respectfully, this is a vegan site, however, many people following a plant- based, whole-foods plan do eat honey. It's all on your personal philosophy and why you are doing what you are doing. Basically, organic, raw honey is not unhealthy in small amts.

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thank you so much Susan! I did a little research on honey and learned it is made when bees regurgitate the pollen/nectar from the plants. That was enough to turn me off honey. I went on the site for The Vegan Store and ordered the syrup you recommended as well as some vegan vitamins. That's a wonderful site!

Jennifer

Posted Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

The order I placed with The Vegan Store just this past Sunday, arrived today. That was quick! The rice nectar really does taste like honey and there's NOT an "after-taste". The vitamins say to take 3 pills each day, one with each meal. However, I'm on a very limited budget. I've studied the label on the vitamin bottle and it looks like I could safely take only 1 pill each day. True, spreading vitamin intake through out the day makes them better absorbed. These vitamins are fairly large; they don't have a score mark, but couldn't I still split them with a pill splitter and take one pill, half in the morning and half at night? That would make this one bottle last 3 times as long.

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 257 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org