21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Need kind-to-the-stomach ideas!
Created on: 09/07/12 06:53 AM Views: 1657 Replies: 7
Need kind-to-the-stomach ideas!
Posted Friday, September 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I have serious stomach problems, which I'd gotten under control at the start of this Kickstart. I'd had a four month flare-up of gastritis (I think. Also have GERD, diverticulitis & hiatial hernia). I had calmed things down with aloe juice, no coffee, and a very bland diet. Pretty much was living on farina and pudding. My stomach cannot even tolerate whole grain oatmeal or raw veggies. But I thought I'd give the Vegan recipes a try. I've been okay until yesterday when I did the veggie lasagna casserole. Now I'm in misery. I just hope I haven't begun another long bout of agony.
I was wondering if there is anyone else on the Kickstart with similar problems and if they could offer suggestions for food which is kind to the stomach?
Thanx, Jan

RE: Need kind-to-the-stomach ideas!
Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I am suffering a bit too! I was having problems before I started due to some medications I'm taking. I've moved past the constipation, but the stomach discomfort is awful. The nuts and bean don't help at all. I'll be watching fo some tips.

Posted Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So sorry you are having problems also. Well, I have switched to almond and hazelnut milks. They replace dairy and you get the nut nutrition, too. I also found almond yogurt, and it is pretty good. Let's continue to wait and see if some other people have suggestions for us.
Jan

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

hw is your experience with soya milk and tofu...do these help your stomach or make it worse?

I'm in a similar situation. Found out recently that wheat makes me SO bloated and sick, so I stick to a gluten-free diet and it is good for me.

Still, wonder if soy is going to make it worse. Even though I know it's gluten-free, I've heard so many negative things about the soy that I'm just not sure if I should go for it.

Maybe tofu is better than soy milk, as it's less processed?

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I have, so far, not done soy. I use nut milks and rice milk. I find cold rice milk especially soothing to my stomach. I have almond milk on cereal for breakfast and sometimes, as a treat I blend hazelnut milk into either rice or almond for a treat. I've got some veggie burgers in the freezer, but haven't tried them yet, as I'm slowly working on my eggplant "lasanga." I was worried about using it since it has onions and tomato sauce, so I'm not using it in large portions. I add 1/2 a baked potato to a small portion, and I think that neutralizes it enough. So far no problems, knock on wood.
Good luck to you.
Still looking for other good ideas.
Jan

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I made this tonight and loved it. I saw the movie Ramen Girl and was inspired! Smile)) This version is spicy but you could cut out the spice if spice bother's your stomach??? I wanted to send this in to Dr.Barnard to see what he thinks but I don't have his e-mail???
Well here goes;

Spicy Shirataki Ramen Soup ( great when you have a cold or you ARE cold)

2 packages of japanese dried miso soup mix or 2 tspsn miso powder
2 cans Swanson brand vegetable broth
1 package shirataki spaghetti noodles angle hair or regular , drained and rinsed
1 package frozen asian vegetables
1 bunch scallions , cut on the diagonal and sliced thin with some of green tops left on
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1 tspn minced garlic from a jar in your grocers produce section
1 tspn minced ginger from a jar " " " " "
1 tsn garlic chinese or japanese or thai chili paste or sauce
few dashes of soy sauce

Heat everything up in the pot except for the shirataki noodles and the spinach. At the very last of cooking add the spinach and heat til wilted. Remove pot from heat. Rinse and drain noodles and add to your soup bowls first. Then pour the soup over your noodles in the soup bowl. Enjoy!

Posted Monday, September 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thanx, that sounds good, but I'll have to do some shopping first! Will post once I try it.
Jan

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I also have gastritis and would love to see a plan for people with gastritis; I see your having one for people with gluten issues so why not?
I can't have citrus, vinegar, coffee, alcohol, tomatoes. Hope that helps.
Thanks,
Keli

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 498 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org